How to Fix the Canadiens Power Play Woes

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
Having 2 RD and 2LD on two different units seem to create some clockwise/counter-clockwise flow that makes the opposition unsure of positioning.

Whereas 2D of opposing sides is more.. Static.

Exactly. People were complaining about Therrien's PP units even before they were tried in a real game. Bunch of complainers on this forum man

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Exactly. People were complaining about Therrien's PP units even before they were tried in a real game. Bunch of complainers on this forum man

What are you talking about? The PP has been struggling since last December. People had every right to criticize.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
What are you talking about? The PP has been struggling since last December. People had every right to criticize.

So the PP has been struggling since last December and people were criticizing MT for putting Markov and Gonchar on the first unit and Subban and Gilbert on the 2nd unit before Gonchar had even played a game. Does that make sense to you? Criticizing MT for changing our struggling PP unit?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
True story.

The other true story is that it doesn't matter since both units have sucked.

Gonchar's "I do nothing but shoot the puck" is refreshing though.

Still could have tried something else. Eller's line got the PP goal vs the Bruins. They get 0 PP time vs the Flyers. It's stuff like that I find annoying.
PP was going nowhere, Eller's line had arguably been the best one in the past few games, they finally get a bit of ice on PP, score, the next game? 0 min on PP.
It's annoying me as a fan, I can only imagine how annoyed it must be for players.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So the PP has been struggling since last December and people were criticizing MT for putting Markov and Gonchar on the first unit and Subban and Gilbert on the 2nd unit before Gonchar had even played a game. Does that make sense to you? Criticizing MT for changing our struggling PP unit?

I didn't really see anybody criticizing Therrien for that, but if that happened then okay. I just didn't see it.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Still could have tried something else. Eller's line got the PP goal vs the Bruins. They get 0 PP time vs the Flyers. It's stuff like that I find annoying.
PP was going nowhere, Eller's line had arguably been the best one in the past few games, they finally get a bit of ice on PP, score, the next game? 0 min on PP.
It's annoying me as a fan, I can only imagine how annoyed it must be for players.
Agreed 100%......MT usually is too stubborn to mix things up...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Having 2 RD and 2LD on two different units seem to create some clockwise/counter-clockwise flow that makes the opposition unsure of positioning.

Exactly...

And Markov on left point is lethal

TofoEmptyNt

Nov 10, 2013
Ontario
Gonchar's been a great add for our PP. But if you look at all 3 goals last night, it was our forwards that made it happen. Patches with 2 quick release shots that led to rebounds and Chucky with a godly pass to PK.
Less reliance on our points to make everything happen. They should just be support while our forwards are attacking, making quick passes, getting shots on. Then when the defensive coverage breaks down, look for point shots.

Aug 25, 2009
éal

Agree, gotta give props to MT / coaching staff for coming up with that. I was skeptical at first but it seems like it might work

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Who thought #55 could be usefull on the PP this season..
He sure seems to have improved from last season! :sarcasm:

rabbit4949

Apr 1, 2013
Props to the coaching staff for making changes to player positions on the PP. There were 2 serious problems and they fixed one of them 100% and the other 50%. I think that they still need L/R on the R/L but I can live with it as long as they keep the wingers on their opposite sides. All 3 PP goals scored against Philly were generated this way. Right shot Parenteau scored from left circle. Right shot P.K. scored from left circle. Left shot Max gets shot from right circle, D.D. with empty net rebound. Opposite side sticks give players much,much,much better shooting angles. This has been proposed by so many posters for so long . In this day of computer technology I can not understand why someone can not create animation to show how this works. It is simple geometry. In much the same way that goalies mark their spots to take away shooting angles from players , players can change their shooting angle to take away the goalies' spots. Again , credit to the coaches for doing something positive. I really did not think that it would ever happen ,to be truthful.

Nynja*

What were the numbers SN posted?
DD line: 50% of the ice time, 3 goals
Plek line: 45% of the ice time, 3 goals
Eller line: 5% of the ice time, 1 goal

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The Habs PP won't get fixed unless MT removes his head from his rectum to see what's actually happening on these bad PP's. At this point it's the only reason left has to why he keeps sending out the same ineffective forward PP units over and over again.

How hard is it for this guy to try something different with the forward PP units? It's maddening to watch at this point.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
So guys how well do you think this 1st wave PP unit will work? I say take DD and PAP off and go with Eller, Pacioretty, Sekac with Subban, Markov. Then Subban/Markov, Gonchar with the 2nd wave. Why does DD always have to be on the 1st PP?

@JessRusnak
#HabsOn690 trying something new on PP. 4 forwards Pacioretty, Desharnais, Parenteau, Eller (Sekac rotating w/ him) and Subban on 1st wave

@JessRusnak
#HabsOn690 PP second wave: Markov, Gonchar, Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Gallagher

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Well.. Eller and Sekac would be the net front presence... Patches should be the high slot one timer.. Problem is then we either leave Subban on an island at the point or DD or PAP are gonna work the point with Subban and that's gross and asking for SHG

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Don't know why the **** they do something like Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Sekac for one wave. Selanne or Bobby Ryan moved up on the first PP wave, but Therrien stupidly trots out the ES line. The PP is the situation where Galchenyuk's supposedly poor D is barely an issue.

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
MT still doesn't get it Eller at the point on the PP....
Eller Patches Sekac Subban Markov
2nd wave
Pleks Chuckie and I would try Trangredi in front of net with PK and gonchar...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad