How the world looked like last time Habs/Leafs faced each other in the playoffs!

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
Serious question for the purpose of learning and growing as a person.

If one went onto a soccer site with a similar thread title and someone posted a whole bunch of stuff about hockey, what do you think the reaction would be? Thanks in advance.

Just to be clear, I am not asking this in a nasty or desultory manner, I am truly curious about it.
Would work in Sweden.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Can someone do a « how did the world look like the last time the Leafs won the cup » ? :sarcasm:
Jurrasic.jpg

:biglaugh:

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
New York City was very different than what is is now.

Times Square in 1979 was a rather sleazy place with lots of adult shops, high crime, as well as presence of well known mafias and drugs dealers. Not exactly a place you'd take your family to
main-qimg-554239904e9cbeab9cdbda973b1a5bf8.webp

Since Disney bought a significant share of the land in the mid-90s, it is now a primary tourist destination.
merlin_158983035_2ccca474-b488-4f20-88d3-ffd0ff7bb71f-superJumbo.jpg

NYC subway was deemed as "world's most dangerous transit" from the 70s until the early 90s as crime was high and graffiti was scribbled all over the trains.
New-York-City-1979-23.jpg

Today, the NYC subway is one of the safer transportations in America.
akrales_160708_1124_A_0113.0.jpg

Don't forget about gangs of costumed baseball fanatics wandering the streets:

(The Warriors came out in 1979)

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
In '79, Austin Matthews' father probably didn't know he was going to give birth to an absolute hockey legend in Arizona a few years ahead! As a Habs fan, I'm genuine, that player is amazing and scares me, but I'm still happy we won Game1 tonight ;)
I believe his mother gave birth to him.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Man seeing all these droughts that the Leafs are now just breaking makes me feel bad for that franchise lol

Some of them date back to the 1950s :laugh:

Hell Matthews winning the Richard was the first Leafs player to lead the league in goal's scored since some dude did it in 1946, the year the United Nations was founded LMAO

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
What will the world look like the NEXT time the Leafs win the cup?

Maybe people will be banned from playing due to rules by Karens. It will be programmed robots with AI.

Fans would go to games in flying cars.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I love this thread. Great job OP.

Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Yes & Pink Floyd were still young & touring, while putting out amazing LP's. That's vinyl (records), look like shiny black frisbees, for the zillenials, younger millenials.

Rush & Van Halen were young & powering the prog.rock & hard rock/guitar rock genres. HM to David Bowie, Peter Gabriel & Genesis, The Beach Boys, The Kinks, Bob Marley, Eric Clapton, Aerosmith etc.

I don't think the Sony Walkman (portable cassette player/radio w/headset) launched until 1980.

Lake Placid was just a small town in NY. Miracle on Ice hadn't happened yet.

John Lennon was still alive & well.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Man seeing all these droughts that the Leafs are now just breaking makes me feel bad for that franchise lol

Some of them date back to the 1950s :laugh:

Hell Matthews winning the Richard was the first Leafs player to lead the league in goal's scored since some dude did it in 1946, the year the United Nations was founded LMAO
I know what you mean but the Rocket is a bad example because it only came in 1998+.

Leafs are 100+ years old team.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
The Pittsburgh Pirates won game 7 of the World Series on the road against the Baltimore Orioles

It would be 30 years before another road team won game 7 in a championship series (2009 Penguins)

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I know what you mean but the Rocket is a bad example because it only came in 1998+.

Leafs are 100+ years old team.
It's only been called the Richard since 1998 but the league's always had a leading goal scorer each season and prior to Matthews, the last time a Leafs player led the league in goal scoring was the year the UN was founded lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad