How the world looked like last time Habs/Leafs faced each other in the playoffs!

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
It's been 42 years since this iconic match-up actually budded heads in the postseason and for many fans like myself, this is the first time its happened in my lifetime. The world was an unrecognizable place the last time these two Canadian O6 teams squared off in the playoffs way back in spring 1979.

In hockey:
- There were only 17 teams in the league
- Only one active NHL player (Chara) was alive then
- Gretzky had yet to play his first NHL game
- The WHA was still its own entity

In sports:
- ESPN did not exist
- The 3-point shot in basketball did not exist
- Pro athletes couldn't compete at the Olympics
- Moses Malone was the NBA MVP
- Kevin Keegan won Ballon D'Or
- New York Cosmos with Pele, Cruyff and Beckenbauer were still in existence
- Steelers won their third SB in 5 years
- Muhammad Ali was still an active boxer
- Bjorn Borg was the number one men's tennis player

In entertainment:
- Heart of Glass by Blondie was the number one song
- "Alien" was the top grossing movie
- The Matarese Circle by Robert Lundlum was the top selling book
- Jon Voight and Jane Fonda won best actors and actresses, respectively
- Michael Jackson released his first solo album
- Wheel of Fortune and The Price is Right were in its early seasons; Jeopardy with Alex Trebek was still years away from launching
- Three's Company was the most popular TV show in America

In business/technology:
- Apple II discontinued 2 years after release (this company will never make it ;))
- Space Invader's was the top selling video game
- Toshiba Blackstripe was the most popular TV model
- Oldsmobile Cutlass was the top selling car in America
- Typewriters were still commonly used (way more than a personalized computer which was a rare luxury)
- Cell phones, internet, and social media was not even in the picture (the only phone available was the one hanging on the wall)
- DNA testing was in its infancy

World news/politics:
- Only 8 countries were in the EU
- China passed the one child policy
- Jimmy Carter was the US President
- Voyager I captures Jupiter
- Smallpox was declared as fully eradicated
- HIV had yet to be discovered
- Canada's Charter of Rights & Freedoms was still 3 years away from being established
- USSR goes into Afghanistan
- Thatcher elected as first female prime minister in UK

It's quite literally been several generations in the making, hopefully this will be an entertaining series despite no fans being in the building!

Last edited:

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Checked if anything notable or wild happened in soccer that year and wasn't disappointed

1979 is so long ago that...

...Nottingham Forest were Champions of Europe after beating Malmö FF(!) 1-0 in the final

1ac12f90-8c87-11e5-ae48-f5e5e4805c6e_team-photo-win-79.jpg

...Barcelona won their first ever European trophy, beating Fortuna Düsseldorf 4-3 after extra time to lift the european cup winner's cup (entire match available on youtube)

ac1193ba32e36aeded6fd6feb15dcb7e.jpg

...for the sake of completeness, Borussia Mönchengladbach lifted the UEFA Cup, beating Red Star Belgrade 2-1 on aggregate.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
It's been 42 years since this iconic match-up actually budded heads in the postseason and for many fans like myself, this is the first time its happened in my lifetime. The world was an unrecognizable place the last time these two Canadian O6 teams squared off in the playoffs way back in 1979.

In hockey:
- There were only 17 teams in the league
- Only one active NHL player (Chara) was alive then
- Gretzky had yet to play his first NHL game
- The WHA was still its own entity

In sports:
- ESPN did not exist
- The 3-point shot in basketball did not exist
- Pro athletes couldn't compete at the Olympics
- Moses Malone was the NBA MVP
- Kevin Keegan won Ballon D'Or
- New York Cosmos with Pele, Cruyff and Beckenbauer were still in existence
- Steelers won their third SB in 5 years
- Muhammad Ali was still an active boxer
- Bjorn Borg was the number one men's tennis player

In entertainment:
- Heart of Glass by Blondie was the number one song
- "Alien" was the top grossing movie
- The Matarese Circle by Robert Lundlum was the top selling book
- Jon Voight and Jane Fonda won best actors and actresses, respectively
- Michael Jackson released his first solo album
- Wheel of Fortune and The Price is Right were in its early seasons; Jeopardy with Alex Trebek was still years away from launching
- Three's Company was the most popular TV show in America

In business/technology:
- Apple II discontinued 2 years after release (this company will never make it ;))
- Space Invader's was the top selling video game
- Toshiba Blackstripe was the most popular TV model
- Oldsmobile Cutlass was the top selling car in America
- Typewriters were still commonly used (way more than a personalized computer which was a rare luxury)
- Cell phones, internet, and social media was not even in the picture (the only phone available was the one hanging on the wall)
- DNA testing was in its infancy

World news/politics:
- Only 8 countries were in the EU
- China passed the one child policy
- Jimmy Carter was the US President
- Voyager I captures Jupiter
- Smallpox was declared as fully eradicated
- HIV had yet to be discovered
- Canada's Charter of Rights & Freedoms was still 3 years away from being established
- USSR goes into Afghanistan
- Thatcher elected as first female prime minister in UK

It's quite literally been several generations in the making, hopefully this will be an entertaining series despite no fans being in the building!
You forgot one....

-Jaimee Lee Curtis was a babe

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Id love to see a similar pic of today next to this.

The best stat to me is only 1 current player was alive, chara and i don't know if thats good or bad :biglaugh:
I searched up current day Pentagon and it honestly doesn't look super different or at least not as much as I thought. There's a few more parking lots, roads and buildings but it isn't a 180 shakeup.

Shanghai, China in 1979 vs now on the other hand (wow it's basically a different city) :
vue-gnrale-de-la-grande-mtropole-en-fvrier-1979-shanghai-chine-picture-id803720550

images

Dubai in 1979 vs now was also drastically different:

C5AT1iPWYAAERgA.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2021-5-12_17-24-49.jpeg
    upload_2021-5-12_17-24-49.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
I searched up current day Pentagon and it honestly doesn't look super different or at least not as much as I thought. There's a few more parking lots, roads and buildings but it isn't a 180 shakeup.

Shanghai, China in 1979 vs now on the other hand (wow it's basically a different city) :
vue-gnrale-de-la-grande-mtropole-en-fvrier-1979-shanghai-chine-picture-id803720550

View attachment 433175

Dubai in 1979 vs now was also drastically different:

C5AT1iPWYAAERgA.jpg

Dubai certainly is crazy now.

I love seeing the difference in citys just from say 1979 to 2000. Dallas looks a lot different and back home i loved seeing the bay area from 1960 to 2000, basically looked like farms urban area to residential :laugh:

Reactions: Maestro84

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Checked if anything notable or wild happened in soccer that year and wasn't disappointed

1979 is so long ago that...

...Nottingham Forest were Champions of Europe after beating Malmö FF(!) 1-0 in the final

...Barcelona won their first ever European trophy, beating Fortuna Düsseldorf 4-3 after extra time to lift the european cup winner's cup (entire match available on youtube)

...for the sake of completeness, Borussia Mönchengladbach lifted the UEFA Cup, beating Red Star Belgrade 2-1 on aggregate.

Serious question for the purpose of learning and growing as a person.

If one went onto a soccer site with a similar thread title and someone posted a whole bunch of stuff about hockey, what do you think the reaction would be? Thanks in advance.

Just to be clear, I am not asking this in a nasty or desultory manner, I am truly curious about it.

Reactions: Leksand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->