How the world looked like last time Habs/Leafs faced each other in the playoffs!

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Id love to see a similar pic of today next to this.

The best stat to me is only 1 current player was alive, chara and i don't know if thats good or bad :biglaugh:

I searched up current day Pentagon and it honestly doesn't look super different or at least not as much as I thought. There's a few more parking lots, roads and buildings but it isn't a 180 shakeup.

The foreground of the picture is pretty different now. In 1979 it was mostly empty, while this is a reverse angle shot (i.e. what you see in the background here past the freeway would be in the foreground in the picture posted above) of how it looks now:

Pentagon-aerial-US-Marine-Corps-photo.jpeg

There's a major shopping mall (Fashion Centre at Pentagon City), a smaller strip mall (Pentagon Row), several large apartment and office buildings and associated parking structures.

Reactions: yada

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
It's been 42 years since this iconic match-up actually budded heads in the postseason and for many fans like myself, this is the first time its happened in my lifetime. The world was an unrecognizable place the last time these two Canadian O6 teams squared off in the playoffs way back in 1979.

In hockey:
- There were only 17 teams in the league
- Only one active NHL player (Chara) was alive then
- Gretzky had yet to play his first NHL game
- The WHA was still its own entity

In sports:
- ESPN did not exist
- The 3-point shot in basketball did not exist
- Pro athletes couldn't compete at the Olympics
- Moses Malone was the NBA MVP
- Kevin Keegan won Ballon D'Or
- New York Cosmos with Pele, Cruyff and Beckenbauer were still in existence
- Steelers won their third SB in 5 years
- Muhammad Ali was still an active boxer
- Bjorn Borg was the number one men's tennis player

In entertainment:
- Heart of Glass by Blondie was the number one song
- "Alien" was the top grossing movie
- The Matarese Circle by Robert Lundlum was the top selling book
- Jon Voight and Jane Fonda won best actors and actresses, respectively
- Michael Jackson released his first solo album
- Wheel of Fortune and The Price is Right were in its early seasons; Jeopardy with Alex Trebek was still years away from launching
- Three's Company was the most popular TV show in America

In business/technology:
- Apple II discontinued 2 years after release (this company will never make it ;))
- Space Invader's was the top selling video game
- Toshiba Blackstripe was the most popular TV model
- Oldsmobile Cutlass was the top selling car in America
- Typewriters were still commonly used (way more than a personalized computer which was a rare luxury)
- Cell phones, internet, and social media was not even in the picture (the only phone available was the one hanging on the wall)
- DNA testing was in its infancy

World news/politics:
- Only 8 countries were in the EU
- China passed the one child policy
- Jimmy Carter was the US President
- Voyager I captures Jupiter
- Smallpox was declared as fully eradicated
- HIV had yet to be discovered
- Canada's Charter of Rights & Freedoms was still 3 years away from being established
- USSR goes into Afghanistan
- Thatcher elected as first female prime minister in UK

It's quite literally been several generations in the making, hopefully this will be an entertaining series despite no fans being in the building!
And:
- The Winnipeg Jets won the Avco Cup.
- Jon Voight bought the Buick which George Costanza may have later purchased.

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Serious question for the purpose of learning and growing as a person.

If one went onto a soccer site with a similar thread title and someone posted a whole bunch of stuff about hockey, what do you think the reaction would be? Thanks in advance.

Just to be clear, I am not asking this in a nasty or desultory manner, I am truly curious about it.

I would imagine people wouldn't care much, though if you said that Gretzky started his career that year, it'd be interesting to some.

Given that there's quite a few people interested in different sports on this site, I thought a year were Forest and Malmö duked it out for the European Cup and Barca won their first ever European title illustrated the changing of eras quite nicely :shrug:

Reactions: D Wakaluk

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I would imagine people wouldn't care much, though if you said that Gretzky started his career that year, it'd be interesting to some.

Given that there's quite a few people interested in different sports on this site, I thought a year were Forest and Malmö duked it out for the European Cup and Barca won their first ever European title illustrated the changing of eras quite nicely :shrug:

Thanks. Again I didn't ask this as a 'set up', I was just wondering how it would be received. Appreciate your input. :)

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Dubai certainly is crazy now.

I love seeing the difference in citys just from say 1979 to 2000. Dallas looks a lot different and back home i loved seeing the bay area from 1960 to 2000, basically looked like farms urban area to residential :laugh:
Berlin, Germany is another interesting one. It was virtually destroyed after WWII and today, it's one of the most robust cities in Western Europe

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Berlin, Germany is another interesting one. It was virtually destroyed after WWII and today, it's one of the most robust cities in Western Europe

Yes and no. The city suffered heavy damage from allied air raids and then the advancing red army - but it was hardly destroyed.

Most of the popular and characteristic neighborhoods of the city feature entire streetscapes of turn-of the century 5-story buildings. In fact, 40% of all residential buildings in the city (including the one I live in) were built before the Second World War.

Either way - looking forward to this series!

Reactions: rfournier103

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
One if the few ways Toronto is ahead of Montreal is head-to-head in the finals. Toronto is up 3-2, or 4-3 including pre-NHL.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
The foreground of the picture is pretty different now. In 1979 it was mostly empty, while this is a reverse angle shot (i.e. what you see in the background here past the freeway would be in the foreground in the picture posted above) of how it looks now:

Pentagon-aerial-US-Marine-Corps-photo.jpeg

There's a major shopping mall (Fashion Centre at Pentagon City), a smaller strip mall (Pentagon Row), several large apartment and office buildings and associated parking structures.

Pretty cool i saved them and looked at them side by side. Lots of new gardening trees amd stuff and all the new buildings across the street compared to the empty lots.

ACLEVERNAME

No content.
Jan 6, 2010
Oof...
The match up would have been something if we were still in the days of radio broadcasts and day-after news reports. I've been watching these teams all season. Nothing interesting past the nice sweaters and history.

Last edited:

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
It's been 42 years since this iconic match-up actually budded heads in the postseason and for many fans like myself, this is the first time its happened in my lifetime. The world was an unrecognizable place the last time these two Canadian O6 teams squared off in the playoffs way back in spring 1979.

In hockey:
- There were only 17 teams in the league
- Only one active NHL player (Chara) was alive then
- Gretzky had yet to play his first NHL game
- The WHA was still its own entity

In sports:
- ESPN did not exist
- The 3-point shot in basketball did not exist
- Pro athletes couldn't compete at the Olympics
- Moses Malone was the NBA MVP
- Kevin Keegan won Ballon D'Or
- New York Cosmos with Pele, Cruyff and Beckenbauer were still in existence
- Steelers won their third SB in 5 years
- Muhammad Ali was still an active boxer
- Bjorn Borg was the number one men's tennis player

In entertainment:
- Heart of Glass by Blondie was the number one song
- "Alien" was the top grossing movie
- The Matarese Circle by Robert Lundlum was the top selling book
- Jon Voight and Jane Fonda won best actors and actresses, respectively
- Michael Jackson released his first solo album
- Wheel of Fortune and The Price is Right were in its early seasons; Jeopardy with Alex Trebek was still years away from launching
- Three's Company was the most popular TV show in America

In business/technology:
- Apple II discontinued 2 years after release (this company will never make it ;))
- Space Invader's was the top selling video game
- Toshiba Blackstripe was the most popular TV model
- Oldsmobile Cutlass was the top selling car in America
- Typewriters were still commonly used (way more than a personalized computer which was a rare luxury)
- Cell phones, internet, and social media was not even in the picture (the only phone available was the one hanging on the wall)
- DNA testing was in its infancy

World news/politics:
- Only 8 countries were in the EU
- China passed the one child policy
- Jimmy Carter was the US President
- Voyager I captures Jupiter
- Smallpox was declared as fully eradicated
- HIV had yet to be discovered
- Canada's Charter of Rights & Freedoms was still 3 years away from being established
- USSR goes into Afghanistan
- Thatcher elected as first female prime minister in UK

It's quite literally been several generations in the making, hopefully this will be an entertaining series despite no fans being in the building!

You forgot that it had only been 12 years since the Leafs last won the Stanley Cup. :naughty:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
In 1979 you could create a hit song about a school shooting and no one thought anything of it.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Well, didn't know it's been so long. Unfortunately, and despite the wait, the expectations are low for this series in terms of excitement.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Arnold Schwarzenegger was only 31 years old,
his hit documentary; Pumping Iron came out less than 2 years prior,
several years away from his Hollywood conquest and action movie stardom.
arnold-schwarzenegger-attends-special-olympics-on-august-9-1979-at-picture-id156193680

and he looked like this

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->