How the Islanders leave Nassau early

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/new-details-on-hub-biotech-park-1.4435185

"The Nassau Hub, home to the Nassau Coliseum and 77 acres of blacktop parking, could be transformed within the next six to eight years into a biotech campus featuring a scaled down arena, according to county and business leaders."

"The developer hopes to tie that concept in with the ongoing plans to retain and refurbish the existing arena, which could be used for entertainment, sports and convention purposes, Palanker said. The scaled-down arena would have about 6,000 seats."

"Monti, of Plainview-based Renaissance Downtowns, expects the property to be shovel-ready by the end of this year, Palanker said."

The article states no housing so one of the TOH biggest concerns seems to be taken off the table.

If they can get through the red tape and actually break ground by years end then you would think that working around the Islanders 41 game schedule would be more trouble than its worth.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Lets do it....

Sounds good but these things tend to not go according to plan....

I doubt the Isles are in Brooklyn by next year...

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Not to mention that Nassau/TOH is gonna drag their feet unless Monti greases the right palms. This all sounds overly optimistic to my ears.

Agreed with one caveat, I don't know if the TOH (Murray) can afford to be seen as obstructing another project. They do have some egg on their face with the Islanders situation.

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
who the hell wants them to leave early

lets savor our final 2 years in the building we have known for the last 40 years, where the last pro sports team won 4 straight championships

how can a "real" Isles fan want them to leave early

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

lets savor our final 2 years in the building we have known for the last 40 years, where the last pro sports team won 4 straight championships

Please quit while you're ahead. This line of questioning never leads anywhere good.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

There's a NY Times article on the board. It reports that the isles can make $35m more per season, with Barclay's luxury suites and premium seating alone.

With Wang needing to fill those suites, he'll have to increase payroll, ice a playoff team. It'd be great if the isles stopped hugging the cap floor and were in the playoffs again.

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
I could care less about 35 million that will go into Wangs pocket

lots of good memories in that building

lets savor it while we can

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip
After speaking to my rep. the other day. It seemed like there was something going on that they seemed to think Barclay's next year was possible.

The NYI value goes up automatically. I believe the Nets value went up around $50m moving to BK. Of course this is hockey but it will go up.

As well more money in advertising etc. The sooner we are in the Barclay's is the sooner we find out if Wang will spend and if the players will come.

I love NVMC but hate Nassau.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town

Seriously. Stop. It's starting to get really annoying.

Savor? :laugh:

The building is a DUMP. There have been ZERO "memories" in that building since April 2002. And before that, 1993. Those cups you're talking about happened 30 friggin' years ago!

Let's see... you can move the team 25 or so miles west into a state of the art building in the biggest city on the planet where the "joke" tag will be IMMEDIATELY removed or you can keep them in suburban purgatory for two lame duck years where the spending problems Wang has now will persist. Yea... I think I'll go with the former.

Time to move the hell on. Typical Long Island response though. Progress into the 21st century?! OH NO! We can't have THAT! Let's just keep the status quo that has been working soooooooooooo well all these years. :sarcasm:

This "real" Islander fan want's progress as soon as possible. This "real" Islander fan is sick of going to games in a crumbling building that is not only outrageously outdated but is in large part responsible for the dire economic state the team has been in for decades now.

I went to my first game in 1989. I grew up in the Coliseum and have easily been to 500-600 + games. But it's time to move on. It was time to move on 10 years ago. This can't happen soon enough.

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
and I predict Wang sells as soon as we go to Barclays

if you ask me that is why he got this done

he never wanted the team anymore

announced the team is moving to Brooklyn and will "stay" in New York

Wang looks like a hero

now he has a franchise that is desirable to buyers

and he sells and makes his money

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I could care less about 35 million that will go into Wangs pocket

lots of good memories in that building

lets savor it while we can

So they should just continue to suck for the next 2 years just so we can savor the memories? I mean, there's no guarantee of anything just because the team moves into a new arena, but it would at least would increase the chances of enticing some quality free agents to sign with the team.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

Wang looks like a hero

Do you mean to say that this is a bad thing? A new arena AND a new owner would be the best possible situation!

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Wang looks like a hero

That's fine. Whoever owns the NYI, will need to sell those 100 luxury suites. So we can expect the Isles owner to be opening his wallet in Brooklyn.

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
Do you mean to say that this is a bad thing? A new arena AND a new owner would be the best possible situation!

no I am saying Wang "could" have milked it to see if he could stay on Long Island

but he wanted out, got the deal with Barclays done, now his next stop is to sell it for a nice chunk of money

Would have been nice to see if others would have bought it and stayed on Long Island, as there were still talks and plans to keep them there

But Wang figured it was more profitable to be the Brooklyn Islanders

Isles were never going to move to Kansas City or to Quebec, it was either Brooklyn or Long Island

Saying the Isles were going to move to Kansas City or Quebec was just a scare tactic, so when Wang says "I kept them in NY" he will be seen as a hero

Wang was the guy who moved our Islanders to Brooklyn

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

haha They are not leaving, they are moving across town....

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
haha They are not leaving, they are moving across town....

they are not moving across town

they are moving to Brooklyn, which is a whole other world

they wont be called the New York Islanders in 10 years

Our logo will completely change

I guess that is ok with some

Those Stanley Cup Banners and Retired Jersey numbers will look like another teams Banners hanging in the rafters at Barclays

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
no I am saying Wang "could" have milked it to see if he could stay on Long Island

but he wanted out, got the deal with Barclays done, now his next stop is to sell it for a nice chunk of money

Would have been nice to see if others would have bought it and stayed on Long Island, as there were still talks and plans to keep them there

Isles were never going to move to Kansas City or to Quebec, it was either Brooklyn or Long Island

Saying the Isles were going to move to Kansas City or Quebec was just a scare tactic, so when Wang says "I kept them in NY" he will be seen as a hero

Oh come on with the waiting thing. The guy worked for over 10 years to get something done on LI and he met resistance every step of the way. Nassau and TOH wanted no part of the team anymore. It was obvious in everything they did. It's time to move on. You've got at least 24 games to savor the flavor. Grow a 'stache and you can savor the flavor even longer!

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

milked? the man has been trying for a decade and Nassau politicians have all ****ed him....That ship has sailed were going to Brooklyn to a beautiful brand new building and our team is still our team...

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Those Stanley Cup Banners and Retired Jersey numbers will look like another teams Banners hanging in the rafters at Barclays

now im starting to think your a rags fan with a fake account. Slow down

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town

:laugh::laugh:

Stop. Seriously.... :laugh:

I mean.... :laugh:

Ok... ok... have to stop laug..... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wooooo. Thanks I needed that. Been a long day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad