Sportsnet: How Senators can use plethora of second-round picks to fill roster needs

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We grab Fleury and an asset For Nilsson from Vegas retain half move him to TO for Andersen. We also give them Gaborik which they can use on LTIR, helps with cap on roster set day.

I thought you said EM would only acquire players where the real money is less than the AAV? Andersen would only be paid $1 m in real money but would carry a $5 m AAV hit against the cap. I also thought you'd favour a player (e.g., Gaborik) on LTIR as well because of the savings?

If Ottawa retains half of MAF's AAV, then its still a $3.5 m AAV for Toronto. Toronto need to shed as much AAV as they can to address their own cap issues.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I thought you said EM would only acquire players where the real money is less than the AAV? Andersen would only be paid $1 m in real money but would carry a $5 m AAV hit against the cap.

If Ottawa retains half of MAF AAV, then its still a $3.5 m AAV for Toronto. Toronto need to shed as much AAV as they can to address their own cap issues.
That sheds 1.5M for TO and gives them a perceived upgrade in goal.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
That sheds 1.5M for TO and gives them a perceived upgrade in goal.
Ya, I think that's a pretty small saving and not sure its an upgrade either.

I'm a Leaf fan btw, and we are hearing things about Freddie moving, but many fans including myself aren't real sure how much can be accomplished by doing this.

It goes to show how many players (quantity and quality) will be on the market this year. This is a real good time for a team to have cap space - bargains galore I would think.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ya, I think that's a pretty small saving and not sure its an upgrade either.

I'm a Leaf fan btw, and we are hearing things about Freddie moving, but many fans including myself aren't real sure how much can be accomplished by doing this.

It goes to show how many players (quantity and quality) will be on the market this year. This is a real good time for a team to have cap space - bargains galore I would think.
Think of it this way, it’s only 1.5M cap savings this year but next year Andersen is UFA and will cost more than 5M. This would help with getting AP. I personally think Andy is good enough for you but there is way too much smoke around moving him. I don’t see how Dubas changes the goaltending at 5M or less without getting creative.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Think of it this way, it’s only 1.5M cap savings this year but next year Andersen is UFA and will cost more than 5M. This would help with getting AP. I personally think Andy is good enough for you but there is way too much smoke around moving him. I don’t see how Dubas changes the goaltending at 5M or less without getting creative.
There's quite a few free agent goalies on the market this year, plus there's a few vet tenders that teams are looking to move. But, how many of them are better, and what would their AAV be? Good questions for sure & we'll just have to see how this works out. I think its possible we'll save a little money (maybe about $1.5 m maybe), and get a goalie that's about as good as Freddie. The upside is obviously that we get an even better goalie, which is what we hope for obviously.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
There's quite a few free agent goalies on the market this year, plus there's a few vet tenders that teams are looking to move. But, how many of them are better, and what would their AAV be? Good questions for sure & we'll just have to see how this works out. I think its possible we'll save a little money (maybe about $1.5 m maybe), and get a goalie that's about as good as Freddie. The upside is obviously that we get an even better goalie, which is what we hope for obviously.
And a right D better than Holl lol.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
And a right D better than Holl lol.
Ya, that too. Of course, the Leaf board is full of Pietrangelo talk lately. ;)

I like to take a break every now & then from that and see what the other teams are up to.

Reactions: GCK

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What the Sens should be doing is using the plethora of prospects they have who have no future on any Ottawa future team to acquire players or more picks to move up & make moves over the next two drafts.

Reactions: NB613

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
What the Sens should be doing is using the plethora of prospects they have who have no future on any Ottawa future team to acquire players or more picks to move up & make moves over the next two drafts.

Like who though?

I cant imagine teams lining up for Abramov, Balcers or Chlapik type players of ours. I personally think that all 3 of them could still be players for us, if thats who your talking about cutting ties with. They are worth a lot more to us than the insignificant return we would get back for them.

Our draft picks have way more trade value imo, and are likely much further away from helping us than the guys above are. Parting with 2 or 3 picks wouldnt set us back whatsoever.

We will need some depth over the next couple of seasons, and Balcers and Abramov still have an outside chance at being top 6/9 players one day. And I see no reason why Chlapik couldnt be an awesome #4C. So Id rather stay the course and see what we have with them, and trade some picks if the right deal is on the table.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Like who though?

I cant imagine teams lining up for Abramov, Balcers or Chlapik type players of ours. I personally think that all 3 of them could still be players for us, if thats who your talking about cutting ties with. They are worth a lot more to us than the insignificant return we would get back for them.

Our draft picks have way more trade value imo, and are likely much further away from helping us than the guys above are. Parting with 2 or 3 picks wouldnt set us back whatsoever.

We will need some depth over the next couple of seasons, and Balcers and Abramov still have an outside chance at being top 6/9 players one day. And I see no reason why Chlapik couldnt be an awesome #4C. So Id rather stay the course and see what we have with them, and trade some picks if the right deal is on the table.

Buy low, sell high. Look at what Carolina has done the past few off seasons.

Of course the reality is Melnyk is broke and we will sell off assets to save money.

Honestly, I don’t know what to expect. COVID has complicated everything - but one thing has remained true. The rich are richer and the poor are poorer.

Who are you, Mr. Melnyk?

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I feel like the Sens are so far away from even knowing what they need making moves now for roster players is pre mature. They need to see what they have in L. Brown, Norris, Formenton, Zub, Balcers, Branntsrom, Abramov, Wolanin, Jaros, Hogberg and Batherson. They should make the picks this year, let them develop. When they start to see the team take shape address the needs at expansion time when teams wont want to lose good players for nothing. These picks are still going to be desirable assets in a year from now. Some likely break out and increase their value compared to their draft position.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Like who though?

They have 13 picks in this draft alone & more next yr, there simply won't be room for all these players. They have to eventually get rid of guys anyway so why not do it in a yr where this draft is suppose to be so good. Rather than trade two picks, trade one pick & a prospect who is not in our future plans, but some one might want.

You mention that you can't imagine teams lining up for Abramov & Balcers & then mention we need them for depth. I have never understood this, people argue against me all the time how players like these two can play on a future team, but when I put them in trade scenarios they say they aren't worth anything. IMO the time to move players that won't be part of a future team is in a great draft yr & they have the opportunity to draft some players who could be future stars along with picks to move up. Ottawa won't need depth for a few yrs, they aren't winning it all next season or the next. There are plenty of NHL players around to fill holes at the minor league level, we had & there are Didomenico, Dumont, Sabourin & Pyatt types by the dozens until the guys we drafted this yr are ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad