Sportsnet: How Senators can use plethora of second-round picks to fill roster needs

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Scanlan

In 28 previous drafts, Ottawa has never selected 13 players in one shot, and it’s likely they won’t use all 13 this year. Twice, they drafted 12 players — in 2001 under Marshall Johnston and in 1992, while stocking an expansion roster. The last time the Senators drafted in double digits was in 2011, when Bryan Murray and Dorion made 10 selections, led by Mika Zibanejad at No. 6. Eight of those 10 players played at least one game for Ottawa.

How Senators can use plethora of second-round picks to fill roster needs - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: Matsens15

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I brought up the idea of Korpisalo a few days ago, and I've been thinking about it off and on ever since. I think I've decided that I like the idea despite him not having much term on his contract. If in a few years time it doesn't look like any of our internal options are developing well we could just extend him at that time - he'd still only be 28. Seems like a much lower risk proposition than Matt Murray.

On the other hand I kind of hate the idea of acquiring a guy like Oleksiak. He'll be 28 when the season starts and is a UFA at the end of the year. Are we going to overpay to keep him? Not likely, so we'd probably just be moving him again at the deadline. Personally I don't feel like a team on a strict budget should be investing relatively high draft picks into short-term additions.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
We are acquiring Kris Russell. Oilers are trying to clear cap space to trade for OEL. He has a $4mil cap hit, and is getting paid $1.5mil in real salary. You really think Melnyk isn't telling Dorion to sacrifice a 2nd or two to get him?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
We are acquiring Kris Russell. Oilers are trying to clear cap space to trade for OEL. He has a $4mil cap hit, and is getting paid $1.5mil in real salary. You really think Melnyk isn't telling Dorion to sacrifice a 2nd or two to get him?

A 2nd or two?! You think Ottawa will trade not only a 2nd but even two for a player that was a healthy scratch for parts of last season..

I wouldn't be surprised if he acquired him because of his contract but there's no way we're giving that much, that's for sure. I doubt they'd get more than a 3rd and that's the most I could see (or I hope at least). A 4rth would make more sense honestly.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
A 2nd or two?! You think Ottawa will trade not only a 2nd but even two for a player that was a healthy scratch for parts of last season..

I wouldn't be surprised if he acquired him because of his contract but there's no way we're giving that much, that's for sure. I doubt they'd get more than a 3rd and that's the most I could see (or I hope at least). A 4rth would make more sense honestly.

We gave an extra 2nd to New York so they would pay his $2mil bonus. Russell is $3.5mil under his cap value. You really think Melnyk won't do it?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
This seems a little backward. Oilers are the team sacrificing something (e.g., a pick) to get rid of Russell.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa

That is like getting a player on sale! 60% off! Great deal!

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Teams know that getting faux salary is the priority for the Senators.
Sure, that not's a revelation or anything.

But the Senators can get more than just a contract where the real money is less than the AAV when 90% of the teams have cap crunch issues. Almost all of the teams will be making subtractions from their roster/payroll and then filling the vacancies with minimum salary type players.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Sure, that not's a revelation or anything.

But the Senators can get more than just a contract where the real money is less than the AAV when 90% of the teams have cap crunch issues. Almost all of the teams will be making subtractions from their roster/payroll and then filling the vacancies with minimum salary type players.
For sure they should be able to do better than that if leveraged properly, just seems like it hurts their bargaining position. The covid cap crunch may alleviate that disadvantage though.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
For sure they should be able to do better than that if leveraged properly, just seems like it hurts their bargaining position. The covid cap crunch may alleviate that disadvantage though.
It won't be just Ottawa trying to keep salaries down this year. 90% of the teams will be trying to do this. An important or key difference is that Ottawa will have actual cap space whereas most other teams will not (once you take into account the players they need to sign). That's an unique situation.

Reactions: NB613 and Sweatred

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
It won't be just Ottawa trying to keep salaries down this year. 90% of the teams will be trying to do this. An important or key difference is that Ottawa will have actual cap space whereas most other teams will not (once you take into account the players they need to sign). That's an unique situation.
I'm not sure how the contracts are worded and what is guaranteed, but covid should definitely make teams shy to spend.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not sure how the contracts are worded and what is guaranteed, but covid should definitely make teams shy to spend.

It's kind of an odd scenario. players are caped at 50% of HRR, but also guaranteed 50% so if teams universally are shy to spend, it won't make a difference (well, sort of, because escrow might not be set high enough in which case, teams would have to recover the short fall over the next season).

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Right, but even if teams are looking to shed salary, the benefit to these mirage salary deals with high cap hits is to get to the floor artificially, so I don't see a ton of teams shopping for these sort of contracts. Are we not the only team in that position? Unless I'm missing another factor?

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Right, but even if teams are looking to shed salary, the benefit to these mirage salary deals with high cap hits is to get to the floor artificially, so I don't see a ton of teams shopping for these sort of contracts. Are we not the only team in that position? Unless I'm missing another factor?

Arizona too.

Reactions: Gesus

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Right, but even if teams are looking to shed salary, the benefit to these mirage salary deals with high cap hits is to get to the floor artificially, so I don't see a ton of teams shopping for these sort of contracts. Unless I'm missing something?
What is cap floor - $60.2 m I think. Senators have a projected cap hit of $41.9 m. They only need to spend $18.3 m to hit the floor.

Senators only have 10 players signed. They shouldn't have any problem spending $18.3 m when they have to sign another 13 players to reach a full roster. They don't need "mirage deals" to get to $18.3 m.

Ottawa Senators - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

What's different is that many teams will be needing to shed cap and theoretically would be more willing to retain a bit of salary to get that done. Or, they would move a player they otherwise wouldn't for a very underwhelming return because they have no other choice.

Also, given there will many free agents available with far fewer teams with the cap resources to sign those free agents, there should be a good number of free agent bargains to be had. I remember a debate that even the Senators would pick up a few free agents last year, which they did. This year will be the same, but market conditions will drive those acquisition prices down.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Wouldn’t Russell be perfect as part of the return for OEL in that case ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad