How perfect a hockey player is Ryan O'Reilly?

jsalz16

Feb 21, 2010
Hes not perfect.. Hes a 60 points 2 way C
Agreed. I believe he's incredibly overrated. I mean, he's a good hockey player who's done alot with less natural skill than elite centres. I see posts about top 10 C in the NHL and I'm sorry, just don't get it. On top of that, drove me crazy when he was in Denver that he'd never throw a hit. I might eat crow later but you're not winning a cup with RoR as your 1C. Again, good hockey player.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Agreed. I believe he's incredibly overrated. I mean, he's a good hockey player who's done alot with less natural skill than elite centres. I see posts about top 10 C in the NHL and I'm sorry, just don't get it. On top of that, drove me crazy when he was in Denver that he'd never throw a hit. I might eat crow later but you're not winning a cup with RoR as your 1C. Again, good hockey player.

Why? That's not his game. He doesn't need to hit to be effective. Also, we won't need ROR as the number one. At the very least, it will be a 1a 1b type situation with Eichel on our team.

jsalz16

Feb 21, 2010
Why? That's not his game. He doesn't need to hit to be effective. Also, we won't need ROR as the number one. At the very least, it will be a 1a 1b type situation with Eichel on our team.
As to the part you bolded, I guess I'm just old school. I like for a 200+ lb player to finish checks when they're there. He's a very good hockey player. Perfect for me is Bergeron, Kopitar, or even Toews at times. Just always left a bit to be desired for me. Definitely a hard worker though.
I think Avs made the right move TBH.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
It's still funny to me that Avs fans spent 5+ seasons raving about this guy only to be told he was overrated and that we'd never get good prospects like Zadorov or Grigorenko for him (which is a trade pretty much every Avs fan called on the button), and now that he's on Buffalo he's a clear cut 1C stud and the package we got for him is presumed to be crap.

It's already been mentioned, but Zadorov and Grigorenko are looking great for Colorado. This was a fantastic trade for both teams given all the context.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
It's still funny to me that Avs fans spent 5+ seasons raving about this guy only to be told he was overrated and that we'd never get good prospects like Zadorov or Grigorenko for him (which is a trade pretty much every Avs fan called on the button), and now that he's on Buffalo he's a clear cut 1C stud and the package we got for him is presumed to be crap.

It's already been mentioned, but Zadorov and Grigorenko are looking great for Colorado. This was a fantastic trade for both teams given all the context.

Honestly the change in attitude towards players when they're in Colorado can be beautifully seen with Zadorov. He's still a blue chip defense "prospect" but people just ignore him :laugh:

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

I said he was awesome before the trade as did many others. Such a hyperbole

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Not as "gifted" as some of the other top 2 way centers in the league(ex. Kopitar, Bergeron) but does everything right.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Wait., so Sabres fans discounting Eichel already? ROR is the best player they've had in a while?

I'm not saying ROR is not a good player, he's very good, but I thought Eichel was their franchise?

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Wait., so Sabres fans discounting Eichel already? ROR is the best player they've had in a while?

I'm not saying ROR is not a good player, he's very good, but I thought Eichel was their franchise?

Two different kinds of players. Eichel has more talent. ROR is a better all around player at the moment. This seems pretty obvious to me.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

Eichel will eventually be better

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Two different kinds of players. Eichel has more talent. ROR is a better all around player at the moment. This seems pretty obvious to me.

Considering that people were actually saying Eichel can be as good as McDavid, whether that was just wishful thinking or not, but it's very surprising that Sabres fans think ROR is better than Eichel now.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Today ROR is their best player. Eichel is expected to overtake that in the next year or two, but his all around game isn't there to the point you'd say he is a better hockey player than ROR is today. Not sure what you're confused about, he's a young kid still and ROR has been in the league for years.

All the Eichel hype, but ROR being better now? That's confusing

Edit: The OP said ROR is the best player Sabres had since LaFontaine, I'm just going by that comment when I said I'm surprised.

Last edited:

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
What did us Avs fans tell you? He's a legitimate player, unfortunate he didn't want to stay.

Calgary with that offer sheet is probably what messed that up (they massively priced him way above what Colorado wanted to pay, but Colorado didn't want to lose him for nothing and thus matched---thankfully, he has justified his high salary even if he had to be traded before he reached UFA status---before that, fearing another offer sheet, the Avs took ROR to arbitration). That said, I honestly believe that Buffalo would be crazy not to eventually put the C on his sweater. He is truly a hard worker with a great all-around game.

Also of note---Ryan O'Reilly was a second-round pick, but made the NHL for good in his draft year, at the age of 18. How many 18-year olds have played a full season in the league who weren't first-round picks?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Calgary with that offer sheet is probably what messed that up (they massively priced him way above what Colorado wanted to pay, but Colorado didn't want to lose him for nothing and thus matched---thankfully, he has justified his high salary even if he had to be traded before he reached UFA status---before that, fearing another offer sheet, the Avs took ROR to arbitration). That said, I honestly believe that Buffalo would be crazy not to eventually put the C on his sweater. He is truly a hard worker with a great all-around game.

Also of note---Ryan O'Reilly was a second-round pick, but made the NHL for good in his draft year, at the age of 18. How many 18-year olds have played a full season in the league who weren't first-round picks?

Gretzky did ;)

Espresso Martini

Apr 12, 2016

Patrice Bergeron

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
He was REALLY good last night. I'm surprised he didn't score. And he didn't have anyone to play with.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Eichel was a rookie last year and hasn't played yet this year. As of now, ROR is the best player on the Sabres. I don't see how anyone could construe that as a knock against Eichel. Eich is a freak athlete and obviously the most talented player on the Sabres roster, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have developing to do.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think he's overrated at all. Fantastic player, and I'm not really even a fan of his anymore. One of the smartest to ever wear an Avs sweater.

Avs did what they had to do. The return on the trade was good, potentially great if Zadorov, Grigorenko, and even Compher pan out. But losing O'Reilly hurt bad, still hurts.

And a team can have more than one franchise center. Avs had two for many, many years.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Considering that people were actually saying Eichel can be as good as McDavid, whether that was just wishful thinking or not, but it's very surprising that Sabres fans think ROR is better than Eichel now.

It's because he is.

Eichel is the more gifted player and will likely be the better player, but ROR has been in the league for a while and has refined his game. Eichel still has to put it together at the pro level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad