How perfect a hockey player is Ryan O'Reilly?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
They were all very young, it's way too early to tell. Zadorov is literally starting his NHL career this year, Grigorenko is playing in the top 6 and Compher will become an NHL player next year. We'll see.

I have a suspicion that Compher's gonna end up the best player the Avs got out of that deal in the long run. I won't ever lose sleep over what we gave up, though. ROR is a fantastic hockey player. Love having him in Buffalo.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I have a suspicion that Compher's gonna end up the best player the Avs got out of that deal in the long run. I won't ever lose sleep over what we gave up, though. ROR is a fantastic hockey player. Love having him in Buffalo.

Compher was always one of my favorites. Even when he struggled a little a year ago, I knew he would be a good NHL player. Type of player every team wants.

Last edited:

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
i think he's one of the more under appreciated players for sure. Everyone's saying eichel should be the sabres captain in the future but nobody says anything about O'Reilly. He's got a good all around game and the leadership qualities to be the next sabres captain

A lot of Sabres fans, including myself, think that ROR should (and will) be the next captain.

He may be under-appreciated outside of Buffalo and Colorado, but I assure you he is fully appreciated here! I truly believe that he will be a huge factor in any success Buffalo has as a team. You could not ask for a better leader since he's got here. The team has normal practice and then at the end of normal practice they then have Ryan O'Rielly practice. He stays after every single solitary practice to work on his game and to help any teammates work on their game. There have been stories about how they literally have to turn off the lights at the rink sometimes to finally get him off the ice. He stays longer than even his coaches do! A lot of the young Sabres players (and even some veterans) are following his example too.

And that's not even mentioning what he does for Buffalo on the ice...

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I gladly keep him until he hangs then up. He is the perfect player. I'd give an arm to clone him and have 2...

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
One of the best all-around players.

Excellent offensively - good skater, good passer, excellent shot.
Excellent defensively - one of the best defensive centers in the league who is Top 5 in FO% in the past couple seasons.

Most importantly, he competes hard every shift and has a high level hockey IQ.

As complete a player as you can ask for.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
And to think the Flames almost lost him on waivers

:laugh:
Wouldn't be a six degrees of separation thread without an Oil fan taking a jab.

Was going to say, it'd likely either be Monahan or ROR. ROR is such an every situation guy, I love the player.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It's kind of nauseating to see how this guy went from almost winning "most overrated player in the league" threads and being called an overrated third line centre, or just a good second liner, or just Tyler Bozak (certain Leaf fans...) when he was on the Avs for almost two straight years...to people doing a complete 180 the moment he's off the team. Well, at least he's getting the respect he finally deserves now, but...yeesh. This board sure is a hive mind.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Note I didn't say he was the best player! As a Sabres fan I watch this guy's every shift, I've never seen a player like this, he's a machine, doesn't cheat the game for one second of any game he plays in. Best Sabres player since Lafontaine in my opinion.
I saw him live against the Canucks last season and he was excellent. All over the place.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
If you haven't seen what you feel is a perfect player since you've been watching, there was this Swedish guy in Detroit who retired a few years ago you could check out.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
Love the player. I bet Avs fans will happily take Gardiner or Kadri now that they have seen what they got for him.

Is this supposed to be a joke [mod] ?

If you actually believe that, I seriously urge you to watch more hockey than just Leafs games. As others have said, Gardiner AND Kadri isn't better than the package the Avs got, nevermind just one of those players. Give your head a shake.

Also, I'm assuming at the time you were one of those Leafs fans who said they wouldn't trade either of those players for Ryan "O'Gretzky". Funny how it's a complete 180 now and everyone always thought he was an amazing all around a player. Strange.

Edit: you said this in a phaneuf for ROR straight up trade.

Unless the plan is to get McDavid (we're too late), this is a bad deal.

Dion is FAR FAR more deserving of 7M than ROR is of 6M.

Yikes...

Maybe player evaluations aren't something you should be partaking in?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad