How optimistic are you now

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
I refuse to be optimistic. I have been optimistic every summer for the past 9 years, only to be sad and depressed by November.

If I was optimistic, I would be a 6. One point for each major piece of good news or change. (technically it's a 7, but Lowe had pretty much disappeared this year)
1. Nicholson being named chief
2. Lowe/LaForge moving on
3. A very experienced New POHO and GM
4. MacT moving on
5. Winning the draft lottery
6. Also getting a decent 15/16th pick with the pens loss

So 6 down 4 to go
1. Top pairing defenseman (2)
2. Starting goaltender
3. Fire the pro scouts and replace them with decent people who know what the hell they are doing
4. Hire A-List new coach

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Its still the Oilers so theres no way I can be extremely optimistic.

We still have pretty brutal D and no Number 1 Goalie and we're tapped out on cap.

The irony being one of the worst scoring teams in the NHL has to trade talent to fill holes.

This was a really bad team this year and full of holes and one that was made worse by incumbent management.

It would take a miracle worker for anybody to turn this club around for next season.

Plus as good as McDavid, Nurse, are and expecting that the club will have them in the show this is going to be a team making a lot of mistakes, and farther from being a veteran team than it was this season.:amazed:

Sorry, but thems the goods.

This team on ice didn't turn the corner just because it lucked out on McDavid. That's going to take a few years to pay real dividends.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Mactavish/Lowe are no longer making hockey decisions for the franchise, this is as important a day to the franchise as the lottery/draft days of getting Mcdavid are/will be.

heh, given how much we usually agree I'm wondering if I understand the scale. Is this comparative optimism or being optimistic about team success.

Success on ice won't be happening next season. Playoffs won't be happening next season.

If anything we have the same core of players with indifferent preparation plus more rookies this season.

Chia, Nicholson are guys that won't suffer fools gladly but we have some jesters in this lineup that won't even notice that until camp and then won't come well prepared enough to meet the new expectations and I suspect the new coach.

enjoy the summer off boys, it'll be the last stress free, expectation free one that you will get.

Jmask83

Oct 3, 2009
Its still the Oilers so theres no way I can be extremely optimistic.

We still have pretty brutal D and no Number 1 Goalie and we're tapped out on cap.

The irony being one of the worst scoring teams in the NHL has to trade talent to fill holes.

This was a really bad team this year and full of holes and one that was made worse by incumbent management.

It would take a miracle worker for anybody to turn this club around for next season.

Plus as good as McDavid, Nurse, are and expecting that the club will have them in the show this is going to be a team making a lot of mistakes, and farther from being a veteran team than it was this season.:amazed:

Sorry, but thems the goods.

This team on ice didn't turn the corner just because it lucked out on McDavid. That's going to take a few years to pay real dividends.

Although we have some big contracts they arent crippling. 3 of them will expire after next season.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I was pretty positive after the Lottery.

Now I'm ready to purchase a CAD program to properly plan the parade route. :sarcasm:

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton

Can't wait to see how this clown Chiarelli shows that he is the boss. Byebye valuable asset, welcome overpaid garbage.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
This is as hopeful as I've been in a long time. Have to see what the Oilers do with the back-end first though before getting too excited.

6 God

Jul 12, 2013
4/10 for me.

It'll go to:
6/10 if we can get a legit goalie.
8/10 if we can get a legit #2 defensemen
10/10 if we can get 2 #2 defensemen

Oh and 18/10 if we land Babcock some how. He will elevate every member on this squad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad