How optimistic are you now

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I said 7.

I am cautiously optimistic about the Oilers being a good team NEXT year.

I am very optimistic that the Oilers will be a good team getting consistently better over the next few years.

If we go into next season with the same/similar roster as last year + McDavid. Plus have Peter Chiarelli and removed the influence of Mac T and Lowe. Nelson stays coach as well. That is a solid 7 moving forward.

If we pick up Babcock or another high profile coach that goes up to 8.

If Peter Chiarelli can work his magic on draft day and before the season starts to address the defense and goaltending without losing too much from our "core" that goes up to a 9. I don't believe, even with all that, you can be a 10 in optimism, because this league is damn tough to succeed in and we are coming off a terrible year.

EDIT: Previously my optimism was at 3. Daring to dream that the Oilers on nothing but talent could over come everything.

Last edited:

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I went with a 6, having all this change is a huge help but chia and co have lots of work to do, throw a decent goalie and some dmen in and I'll say I'm more optimistic. Going to be a very interesting summer to say the least

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
6, but I was at about a 1 or 2 a week ago. So there's that.

I hope Chiarelli can learn from his experiences in Boston (good and bad) and bring that to the table here.

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
The reality is, we still have a LONG ways to go. I'm 5x more optimistic than I was last week but the players will have to show me something before I get on HF Oil level of optimism...

Jmask83

Oct 3, 2009
Ill be happy if they can fill the wholes without creating other ones. That takes a skilled GM.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Nope. Every year I thought things would finally change, never did. New GMs, new coaches, new shiny #1 picks.. Haven't we seen it all before?

I'll start feeling optimistic when I see them actually winning hockey games.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

We are now fully capable of getting the pieces we need, and the team is more pumped than ever.

Then again, even under Eakins I was like a 7

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I honestly don't know, higher but the fact Lowe keeps a high job which is once again technically higher than Chiarelli is terrifying.

As was Nicholsons arrogant reply about keeping Lowe like how great Lowe is at everything and isn't going anywhere reeked of that classic dumb "we are all geniuses today". Raise the hype again and look at us now. Great days ahead promise.

Until I see results I don't trust any of them.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
7 for me. These are still the Oilers we are talking about here
However, I am a lot more confident in the organization in regards to what has transpired over the last week

Noeller

Dec 13, 2007
Oil Country
Solid 7 for me. Finally some proven management vets and a McDavid will do that to a guy. Still need a proven, vet coach, some quality D and a Goalie. That's a tall order still, but from where we were a week ago....what an unreal feeling today.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
I say 9.

I was pretty high before this too.

We will have better d. Nurse is close, Klef is here, and we have trade chips to improve the defenseman further.
With better defenseman, our poor goaltending will be average.

With a better coach (all year) improved D, and average goaltending we can get team defence up to 20th in the league.

With McDavid, halls resurgence, Muge facing some 2nd pairing dmen and Yak stepping up, we could have a top 10 offense.

10thplace offense plus 20th place defense= playoff cusp!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad