How optimistic are you now

oilersfan87

Jan 18, 2009
7. Defence and goaltending still needs a lot of work. I'm going to have to see some on ice improvement before I get too optimistic. That being said this has already been a dream offseason and it is only April.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
There's a lot of work to be done and it isn't going to be easy. We need a few prospects to take some big steps and pan out, but the potential is there.

McCrumb

Nov 13, 2005
8. At least we have a fresh look. Even if this all fails at least we are going in a different direction now. The Tambo and Mac T eras were guys calling shots that were way over their heads. Now we have personnel that are experienced in making moves and managing hockey teams. The other thing we are over looking is the general mood of the fans. I really think it will take a huge load off of the players' back seeing that the hockey community that follows them is optimistic again. It is like starting fresh. I think that will go a long way with this team.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Mactavish/Lowe are no longer making hockey decisions for the franchise, this is as important a day to the franchise as the lottery/draft days of getting Mcdavid are/will be.

Oilers93

Apr 27, 2012
Edmonton
8, McDavid on the way and having a GM that doesn't conduct himself like a bumbling idiot in press conferences is a good start. This GM also has experience winning cups as a GM and knows how to build from the defense out, definitely a project for Chiarelli but I believe he is the right guy for the job.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
7. Need to see who they choose as head coach. But considering I would have answered 0 a week ago, this is a big improvement.

azashi

May 31, 2006

Not completely sold on Chiarelli but his comments make me feel he's not as wedded to a "Bruins hockey" type of mentality as I thought. Nicholson's comments w.r.t. Chiarelli and his talents are very encouraging as well.

Todd McLellan makes this vote an 8. I think Todd bears some responsibility for the situation in San Jose, and I'm worried he's burnt out. Mike Babcock makes this a 10. Nelly is a 9.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
8 today, probably will drop to a 7 in the off season.

Wow, almost 40 votes are in and over 90% voted 7 or higher. I wonder what it would have been last Friday? No higher than 4 or 5 max I'd imagine.

90% would have been 3 or less.

CanadianDestroyer

Oct 3, 2006
Edmonton

Lowe is gone, that's a huge plus. With McDavid incoming (I shudder in anticipation when I think of how well he'll play with Hall/Nuge/Ebs/Yak now that they are all re-signed) and a GM with an incredible track record in Boston we are in so much better shape than I can remember.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Considering this is the best I've felt about this franchise since 2006 of 1990, a ten. It's like winning the lottery four times in a week.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Hire Babcock, and get a solid goaltender before the start of next season and im at 10

They still need D. I'm sure Babcock would get a better performance out of our current d core, but I think it still needs to get better. Even a solid goaltender can get hung out to dry on a nightly basis.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
9 right now, once Babcock gets hired then it'll be a 10.

This is all without player personal changes, too. It'd be at a 12 if we could round out our D and get a solid goalie.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I'm going with the Ryan Smyth answer: 110% (so, an 11).

The OBC's hold on this organization is done.

They hired experienced, extremely competent personnel.

And that McDavid kid.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

OBC is out. Although I would have liked if KLowe was gone. My gut tells me MacT will decide to leave.

I trust Chia to make a good hire for coach, get some decent goaltending and revamp the D.

And of course, McJebus! Dropped my late 90s early 2000s era jersey off to get 97 on the back. Can't be done until the Oilers have something official about McDavid. The woman who took the jersey in said she had a pile of jerseys waiting for official word.

Cultra

No, not vengeance. Punishment.
Jun 15, 2010
As of right now just a 5, solely because of McDavid. I do like the addition of Chiarelli, but he needs to get us some top pairing or top 4 D, a starting goalie and some better depth forward wise. If that does happen, it'll be alot easier to warm up to this team again after all these years of being terrible.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
8 We signed the next messiah and the great minds of Hockey Canada are swooping in to ensure his survival.

I'm still scared from history to go higher...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad