Proposal: How much would the Caps have to give up to get McDavid?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I always wonder why these threads pop up so frequently. They're the most rhetorical questions you could ever ask.

It honestly doesn't matter if you put together the most lopsided, amazing package the hockey world has ever seen, teams don't trade their young, cost controlled, franchise players.

And teams don't gut their entire organization in the hopes of landing one of the above players and then having nothing around them.

These proposals all fail logically before they're even posted. And people can say whatever they want about McD not wanting to play in Edmonton. If he didn't want to be there long term I see no reason why he would have signed a max term contract. Why wouldn't he have taken a five year deal a la Matthews if he truly wanted out?

Edit: No, I didn't just say AM wants out.

Reactions: ivanlwan and Ciao

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
They very well could be. Which would have nothing to do with MacKinnon being more valuable than McDavid. It has to do with Sakic being a much, much better GM than Chiarelli
Ohh okay so McDavid is worth more then Mackinnon and Maker but the oilers aren't better? Hmm maybe thats a skewed thought process. 1 player isn’t worth 4 superstars. Depth wins hockey games not individuals. The Avalanche would be no better with McDavid and without Mackinnon and they’d be a lot worse if they also lost all their valuable players which the unintelligent oilers fan base seems to believe he is worth all of that.

Tampa bay=best team in nhl

Fan proposes
Tampa- Kucherov 50% retained, Hedman 50% retained, Point and Vais

Edmonton- McDavid

Oilers fans- McDavid is the most valuable player in nhl and is worth more then that crap package.

I even heard an oilers fan say they wouldn’t trade McDavid for the Minnesota wild roster. McDavid is the most overrated figure in sports history he can’t win games by himself DEPTH WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS not individuals. That’s why my leafs and the oilers are out of the playoffs.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I always wonder why these threads pop up so frequently. They're the most rhetorical questions you could ever ask.

It honestly doesn't matter if you put together the most lopsided, amazing package the hockey world has ever seen, teams don't trade their young, cost controlled, franchise players.

And teams don't gut their entire organization in the hopes of landing one of the above players and then having nothing around them.

These proposals all fail logically before they're even posted. And people can say whatever they want about McD not wanting to play in Edmonton. If he didn't want to be there long term I see no reason why he would have signed a max term contract. Why wouldn't he have taken a five year deal a la Matthews if he truly wanted out?

Edit: No, I didn't just say AM wants out.
So you’re saying if the oilers had the opportunity to trade McDavid for a deal that’d make the oilers the best team in the nhl by a wide margin which is the case in most proposals you’re saying the oilers decline? That’s nonsense.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Well he signed for the longest possible term. Other players like Matthews did not. So that suggests he likes playing here. Sorry to dash your rather obvious hopes.
If the oilers keep losing he’s not going to stay I can promise that. Not that the leafs are in a better position( well they are because atleast they have forward depth and an elite goalie ).

I’ll say this though the oilers do have a solid dcore.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Might be time for a little fresh air here.

Last time it was Matthews. Now it's McDavid. Neither are realistically going anywhere -- especially McDavid.

There's no better player in the league and nothing of equal or better value to trade for McDavid. Multiple pieces don't make the whole when you're discussing the World's best player.

Maybe the first three responses to your proposal -- no, no and no -- could have caught your attention but it seems you're not catching the drift.

Maybe time to give it a rest.

as for now Matthews untouchable, but i wouldn't count him exploring UFA to play in a US market in 4 years. Toronto might wanna sit with him year 3 and see whats going on, because i don't see Toronto missing the playoffs and you don't want him to pull a Tavares and leave for nothing.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
So you’re saying if the oilers had the opportunity to trade McDavid for a deal that’d make the oilers the best team in the nhl by a wide margin which is the case in most proposals you’re saying the oilers decline? That’s nonsense.
I'm saying it's a moot point because no team would give up the sheer number of assets required to make Edmonton pull the trigger.

Trades involve two parties, not just one. The only way players of this calibre get traded is if they demand a trade, which automatically drops the strength of the return you're going to get.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Gretzky was sold.

The big piece coming back was the $15-million that went straight into the crooked owner's pocket.

The other stuff was just filler for the sake of appearances.

I know you are trying to make a point, but I think it is important to point out that Jimmy Carson was a 50 goal scorer and the second youngest player (after Gretzky) to score 100 goals.

Martin Gelinas also went on to play in over 1200 NHL games.

Add to that LA also gave up three first round picks.

Reactions: Ciao

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I'm saying it's a moot point because no team would give up the sheer number of assets required to make Edmonton pull the trigger.

Trades involve two parties, not just one. The only way players of this calibre get traded is if they demand a trade, which automatically drops the strength of the return you're going to get.
Really I was unaware that Wayne Gretzky asked for a trade. Do you have a source?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Really I was unaware that Wayne Gretzky asked for a trade. Do you have a source?
If you honestly think Gretzky being sold for cash to cover some shady debts owed by a shady owner is the same as an organization willingly trading the face of the NHL I really don't know what to tell you.

And if you think that trade made the Oilers better than they were with Gretzky I'm even more baffled.

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Oilers should do the right thing and trade mcdavid. Dont waste his prime years making him carry a bad team year after year. Fans deserve to see a generational player reach his potential and witness his great achievements with a better team. Oilers had many chance to provide good team for mcdavid, and it didnt happen.

Poster above suggested a trade with nyr for conversation purposes.

Oilers should think about the offers like lafreniere + kakko + k. miller ++

Actually oilers would be more balance and bit better with the players theyll be getting in the Long run from offers like that

Also laf- drai - kakko would be great to watch while nyr will have mcdavid- zib down the middle with wingers like panarin, chytil, buch,

It is asinine statements like this that cause Oiler fans to get very, very angry, and can derail threads into pointless name calling and accusations.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Ohh okay so McDavid is worth more then Mackinnon and Maker but the oilers aren't better? Hmm maybe thats a skewed thought process. 1 player isn’t worth 4 superstars. Depth wins hockey games not individuals. The Avalanche would be no better with McDavid and without Mackinnon and they’d be a lot worse if they also lost all their valuable players which the unintelligent oilers fan base seems to believe he is worth all of that.

Fan proposes

Edmonton- McDavid

Oilers fans- McDavid is the most valuable player in nhl and is worth more then that crap package.

I even heard an oilers fan say they wouldn’t trade McDavid for the Minnesota wild roster. McDavid is the most overrated figure in sports history he can’t win games by himself DEPTH WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS not individuals. That’s why my leafs and the oilers are out of the playoffs.
I'd love to see who called Kucherov + Hedman + Point + Vasi a crap package.

I think you're making shit up as you go because you're pissed off that fans of the Oilers don't want to see their team trade away one of the best players of his generation.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Fan proposes

Edmonton- McDavid

1. Chill

2. You're right, McDavid is not worth 4 superstars

3. He is still the single most valuable asset in the NHL and that's not really debatable

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If the oilers keep losing he’s not going to stay I can promise that. Not that the leafs are in a better position( well they are because atleast they have forward depth and an elite goalie ).

I’ll say this though the oilers do have a solid dcore.

So Matthews will be leaving soon if the Leafs keep failing?

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
If you honestly think Gretzky being sold for cash to cover some shady debts owed by a shady owner is the same as an organization willingly trading the face of the NHL I really don't know what to tell you.

And if you think that trade made the Oilers better than they were with Gretzky I'm even more baffled.
Im not talking about Crosby I’m talking about McDavid....

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I'd love to see who called Kucherov + Hedman + Point + Vasi a crap package.

I think you're making shit up as you go because you're pissed off that fans of the Oilers don't want to see their team trade away one of the best players of his generation.
I’m not a capitals fan I just find it sad the ignorance an entire fan base has.

Last edited:

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
1. Chill

2. You're right, McDavid is not worth 4 superstars

3. He is still the single most valuable asset in the NHL and that's not really debatable
It is tho because a lot of other players bring more value for their contract especially Mackinnon you can almost fit Mackinnon, Slavin and Paryanko for the price of McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad