How much smaller are you wearing you skates?

TheLokNesMonster

Sep 11, 2005
St. Paul, Minnesota
Rule of thumb is to go 1 to 1 1/2 sizes smaller then shoe size.

Which do you go with and why?

Also, any idea where I could find a new Bauer ONE55 in a 9 D new?

Thanks.
Size 9 dress shoe. Size 6 Bauer Supreme Ignite (SMU S160).

My dad bought my skates for me until I was 16. After that he said, "you are on your own". He wanted to always get a get couple years out of them, so he bought them with room to grow.

When I bought myself my first pair of skates at 16, the guy said the toes should brush the cap, and we generally start at 1 1/2 size down from shoe.

7.5 was too big. 7 was better but still too big. They didn't have 6.5. I crammed my foot into a 6, used talcum powder in a thin dress sock so I could wiggle my toes, and have since always bought my skates so they felt exactly like those CCM Mustangs felt in 1979.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I wear an 8.5-9 shoe

my Bauer Vapor XXIX (or are they XXV? - I think they are 2 levels from the XXXX when they came out - varified the model and remembered to amend this for some reason) are 7E (I am pretty sure).

I wouldn't mind a new set of skates if I could justify the price. I would rather get myself a nice upper line of skate (would never pay close to $1000 on a pair of skates - that's nuts - especially for pick up and/or beer league).

Not 100% satisfied with the fit of my skates - but they were fitted by my very knowledgeable LHS when I purchased them. Tried on RBK 9Ks at the time too.

As an aside - does anyone know of any lists that show the different models of skates from the different manufacturers? Even over the last 10 years or so?

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Most 11 sneaker size. (Some brands can go 11.5).
Hockey skates 9.5. I made the mistake of going 10, once. Never again. The 1 1/2 might scare you off as sounding really tight, but that snugged fit won't last and you'll most likely be thanking yourself for getting the 1/2 size smaller. For me, the bigger issue between the 1/2 size foot room is the ankle space. I hate when there's a lit of ankle room. I also hate tight ankles (big tongues with no flex). I'm picky.. :(

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I'm a bit at the extreme end of the scale here. I wear 7-7.5 shoe and size 4.5 skates. Yes that's about three sizes smaller. Things get even weirder because I'm wearing size 8 shoes now because I find them more comfortable.

And nope, I'm not jamming my foot into the skate either. I was measured at the store. I have plenty of room in the toebox. And nope 7-7.5 shoes are not roomy, they're actually pretty snug, hence why I wear size 8s.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Shoes = anywhere from 8.5 to 10, depending on style and brand.

Skates = 7.

Luckily I've had pretty good luck finding the right size in stock. Laces are the real challenge. It can be a chore finding them in the right length, as stores usually seem to have little kid laces, and then gargantuan adult laces, and nothing in between :)

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Size 8 shoes and now wearing some size 5 Easton skates. I used to wear 6 in CCM. They fit great and I got them really cheap because 5 is considered junior skates!

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
I wear a 9 or 9.5 in Nike (depending on the type of shoe), my Bauer Vapors are a 7EE.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
9.5 or 10 in shoes but a size 8 on skates i have the bauer vapor x4.0 skates. have these for about 3 yrs now. before when i played hockey the skates felt a bit too big for me but i went to a shop to get it molded to fit my feet. but there are times when im skating, my feet tends to hurt i don't tie the top eyelots that tight though. burning sensation on my feet. my heel reaches to the back of the boot. what seems to be the probelm? ive played hockey before and skating was okay. i go to public skates like 2 3 x a week.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
9.5 or 10 in shoes but a size 8 on skates i have the bauer vapor x4.0 skates. have these for about 3 yrs now. before when i played hockey the skates felt a bit too big for me but i went to a shop to get it molded to fit my feet. but there are times when im skating, my feet tends to hurt i don't tie the top eyelots that tight though. burning sensation on my feet. my heel reaches to the back of the boot. what seems to be the probelm? ive played hockey before and skating was okay. i go to public skates like 2 3 x a week.

Where on the foot does it hurt?

I found that when I wear skates that are too big, my arches don't sit right in the skate, and it causes pain there. Also I end up having to pull the laces tighter, and this ends up pinching the sides of my feet.

Can be 100% sure but maybe this is the problem.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Where on the foot does it hurt?

I found that when I wear skates that are too big, my arches don't sit right in the skate, and it causes pain there. Also I end up having to pull the laces tighter, and this ends up pinching the sides of my feet.

Can be 100% sure but maybe this is the problem.

near the sides. not the ankle area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad