Speculation: How much do we regress, if at all?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
how much of a step back do we take this coming season from last year’s finish?
Imo we are a lesser team now (without Marky, Tanev, and Tofoli) than we were to ens last season. I’m saying we fall out of a playoff team and finish next to Ottawa as the second worst team in the Canadian Division.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It's such a hard comparison to make because:

1) Last season was interrupted by a pandemic and the team was free falling without Markstrom and Tanev. They might not have been a playoff team last season if things continued, so if they miss the playoffs this season, is it even really a regression?

2) New divisions - looks like the competition will be much better overall (doesn't help that Calgary, Montreal, Edmonton, and Ottawa all made moves to significantly improve their rosters over the offseason; even the Jets improved by adding Stastny and the Leafs added Brodie).

3) Roster moves - lost a lot of depth in losing Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom, Stecher, Leivo, and Fantenberg, but we'll see if the improvements from our young core and the addition of Schmidt/Holtby, along with hopefully one of Juolevi/Rathbone making an imapct, will help offset these losses.

I don't think we're a 2nd round playoff team this year based on the above, but I think if we're a bubble team at the deadline, then it shouldn't really be considered a 'regression' as that should be the expectation.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Schmidt’s addition will more than offset the loss of Tanev because the later likely would’ve missed a good chunk of games (last season probably was an aberration).

Big question will be if Demko can play well over a prolonged length of time.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
It really comes down to EP and QH. Can they carry this team as the continue to mature? We need either Juolevi or Rathbone to step up, (or both) and we probably will have Pods for the finish and the playoffs. Maybe Hogs plays ok as well, but not likely to be the difference maker.

I think we will do what we have done for years. Be in the mix, and fade about the trade deadline. We had better not be buyers, and we have little to sell (assuming draft picks, prospects and our core of EP QH Horvat boeser Miller Schmidt and Demko are untouchable)

Meyers probably has little value at his salary, and maybe someone could make a pitch for Boeser if we are clearly out of the playoffs.

My prediction is that we will be in 3rd at the trade deadline, and will fall to 4 -5 as the season ends.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Schmidt’s addition will more than offset the loss of Tanev because the later likely would’ve missed a good chunk of games (last season probably was an aberration).

This will be the biggest deciding factor (and if he can't, then how well Holtby can play).

I would say the next biggest issue is the defensive depth -- how well does our bottom pairing play? Can Edler keep up his play and stay healthy? If injuries hit the top 4, will Benn/Juolevi/Rathbone be able to step it up and play top 4 minutes?

The last issue is how they address that empty RW spot in the top 6? Looks like Virtanen is going to be gifted it with an outside chance of Hoglander taking it, but until Podkolzin's season ends and he can join the team, the Canucks will hopefully be able to find someone better than Jake.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
“The young players will step up”

“there won’t be a regression, you are just a hater”

ladies and gentlemen, the newest iterations of “cap space doesn’t matter”

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
This will be the biggest deciding factor (and if he can't, then how well Holtby can play).

I would say the next biggest issue is the defensive depth -- how well does our bottom pairing play? Can Edler keep up his play and stay healthy? If injuries hit the top 4, will Benn/Juolevi/Rathbone be able to step it up and play top 4 minutes?

The last issue is how they address that empty RW spot in the top 6? Looks like Virtanen is going to be gifted it with an outside chance of Hoglander taking it, but until Podkolzin's season ends and he can join the team, the Canucks will hopefully be able to find someone better than Jake.
Please do not waste a year of Podkolzin's ELC to play a few meaningless games at the end of this season. Unfortunately, with Benning's lack of foresight, this is likely to occur.

Reactions: Bures Elbow

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

I question if Benn can even play adequately at the NHL level today just on the 3rd pairing (other than as an emergency fill-in). He's garbage. At least those other two still have the potential to be NHLers.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Please do not waste a year of Podkolzin's ELC to play a few meaningless games at the end of this season. Unfortunately, with Benning's lack of foresight, this is likely to occur.
With the way he’s being used if they can get him out to start their season I would do that but not at the end of the season. Canucks need that extra elc year once Petey and Hughes get paid.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Correct, in the sense that no one said them.
upload_2020-12-30_21-19-25.gif

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't think the skaters have changed significantly. Some depth is gone but the team was reliant on its stars anyway and Schmidt is an upgrade on Tanev. I think the big factors are whether EP and Hughes improve, flatline or get injured, and whether the goaltending can reasonably replace Markstrom. I suspect some slight slippage, and it'll be a close call whether they make the playoffs.

Reactions: Regular David Bruce

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Congrats you basically just cursed Schmidt.

As for the division could go either way, I don't see us clinching 1st, but anywhere between 2nd or 6th wouldn't surprise me at all. Really depends on what the injuries look like on the backend, where we have basically no depth.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Fully expect the goalies to get lit up like a Christmas tree.

We were f***ed without Marky last year.

Demko is going to need time to season and I don’t expect much from Holtby.

I also think Brock regresses. Just a hunch.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Fully expect the goalies to get lit up like a Christmas tree.

We were f***ed without Marky last year.

Demko is going to need time to season and I don’t expect much from Holtby.

I also think Brock regresses. Just a hunch.

Team will bleed chances against. Bottom 6 just too slow and stupid. D depth is crap. Myers in the top 4. Yuck.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Ferlands end up on LTIR to start the season and the Canucks use the cap space to sign Hamonic, then you'd have to say the blueline is hugely upgraded over last season. No disrespect to Tanev and Stecher, but Schmidt and Hamonic would be a huge advance.

Markstrom had a career season last year, but got hurt twice when the Canucks needed him the most. In a compressed schedule, Green would have ridden him like a stolen car, and he'd have probably broken down again. Demko and Holtby will more evenly split the workload, so I just don't believe the goaltending will be a whole lost worse.

It's up front where the question marks remain....with Tofoli and Leivo gone, who replaces them? It's a bit of longshot, but the answer could be Virtanen and Hoglander. And if they surprise, I'm convinced the Canucks won't be a whole lot worse.

Reactions: David71

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Major question marks to me are:

1) Can Demko hold the fort? I'm not expecting him to replicate Marky's Vezina level play last year but how close can he get to that in his 1st season as the #1.
2) How much more can EP and Hughes improve?
3) Does Miller regress after a career year? (Sort of dependent on EP as well.)
4) Can one of the young dmen surprise and lock down the #5 role?

Reactions: David71

Nov 1, 2011
how much of a step back do we take this coming season from last year’s finish?
Imo we are a lesser team now (without Marky, Tanev, and Tofoli) than we were to ens last season. I’m saying we fall out of a playoff team and finish next to Ottawa as the second worst team in the Canadian Division.

...well, we likely aren't a playoff team last year if it isn't for Covid.

We essentially lost two injury prone guys in Markstrom and Tanev and got in a worse goalie and a better defenseman in Holtby and Schultz.

The reality is, in a non-shortened season, Tanev and Markstrom are both hurt to end last season and we miss the playoffs finishing bottom 5.

I think we do better than that but worse than our Covid assisted finish.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
An injury to Hughes or Pettersson and we're sunk.

this. plus if goaltending falters. but i think vancouver barely makes the playoffs. unless any three of the young kids ON defense steps up. miller regresses. schmidt will be a surprise. alot of goals will come from the backend. mainly him and hughes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad