Speculation: How much do we regress, if at all?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
how much of a step back do we take this coming season from last year’s finish?
Imo we are a lesser team now (without Marky, Tanev, and Tofoli) than we were to ens last season. I’m saying we fall out of a playoff team and finish next to Ottawa as the second worst team in the Canadian Division.

Maybe I was wrong about this part?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Miller’s off season comments about a “shocking reboot” were clearly accurate. Losing Marky, Tanev, and Tofu resulting (so far) in serious regression.
Which also suggests that the team really wasn't that good to begin with, which is what anyone without an agenda knew about last year's team too.

Hockey people: :m-hissyfit: Stop :m-hissyfit: pretending :m-hissyfit: short :m-hissyfit: playoff :m-hissyfit: series :m-hissyfit: are :m-hissyfit: more :m-hissyfit: meaningful :m-hissyfit: than :m-hissyfit: full :m-hissyfit: seasons!

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Which also suggests that the team really wasn't that good to begin with, which is what anyone without an agenda knew about last year's team too.

Hockey people: :m-hissyfit: Stop :m-hissyfit: pretending :m-hissyfit: short :m-hissyfit: playoff :m-hissyfit: series :m-hissyfit: are :m-hissyfit: more :m-hissyfit: meaningful :m-hissyfit: than :m-hissyfit: full :m-hissyfit: seasons!

I get a kick out of people using analytics to argue that the team isn't as bad as their record suggests. Yet those same people are awfully quiet when it comes to analyzing last season. Would they be willing to apply the same standard and say that the team last year wasn't as good as their record ended up being?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I get a kick out of people using analytics to argue that the team isn't as bad as their record suggests. Yet those same people are awfully quiet when it comes to analyzing last season. Would they be willing to apply the same standard and say that the team last year wasn't as good as their record ended up being?
The legend/mystique that has grown about the 2020 playoffs, and what they then meant, has become legitimately weird at this point. The team won one playoff round without fans or home ice (moreover against an opponent who had suffered a COVID outbreak not long before). People on Twitter (and I think even here?) were calling it "the 4th best season in team history". Whaa? Like winning three playoff games in a round vs. two or one, against totally different opponents, in a totally different era, in drastically different circumstances is a distinction enough to overturn entire seasons' worth of evidence? Seriously?

Plus these are many of the same people who claim the team "has never won a thing" (despite plenty of distinctions throughout the last 50 years) and refer to the 2009-12 team as a "failure".

I already think North Americans have some sort of insane and fatalistic self-deception when it comes to playoff systems as a yardstick in general, but to make claims like that being one of the best seasons in team history is especially preposterous.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
And you were right. The North is terrible and the Canucks still suck :(
Has anyone been watching some the recent games in the old Pacific Division? Sorry but, L.A., Anaheim, Arizona and San Jose are awful hockey teams.

There are really aren't any teams in the Canadian Division who are bad as that, even the Canucks and Sens. If the Canucks were still in the old Pacific Division, there's a chance they could survive with their current blueline. But in the division they're in now, they're getting eaten alive every night.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Has anyone been watching some the recent games in the old Pacific Division? Sorry but, L.A., Anaheim, Arizona and San Jose are awful hockey teams.

There are really aren't any teams in the Canadian Division who are bad as that, even the Canucks and Sens. If the Canucks were still in the old Pacific Division, there's a chance they could survive with their current blueline. But in the division they're in now, they're getting eaten alive every night.
So what your saying is it really isnt Bennings fault. He just built the team to dominate the Pacific division. :sarcasm:

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
The legend/mystique that has grown about the 2020 playoffs, and what they then meant, has become legitimately weird at this point. The team won one playoff round without fans or home ice (moreover against an opponent who had suffered a COVID outbreak not long before). People on Twitter (and I think even here?) were calling it "the 4th best season in team history". Whaa? Like winning three playoff games in a round vs. two or one, against totally different opponents, in a totally different era, in drastically different circumstances is a distinction enough to overturn entire seasons' worth of evidence? Seriously?

Plus these are many of the same people who claim the team "has never won a thing" (despite plenty of distinctions throughout the last 50 years) and refer to the 2009-12 team as a "failure".

I already think North Americans have some sort of insane and fatalistic self-deception when it comes to playoff systems as a yardstick in general, but to make claims like that being one of the best seasons in team history is especially preposterous.

I think there's also a bit of an unconscious mental leap going on when people discuss last season. When they talk about how successful the canucks were they are considering the play in against minny as another series win. So instead of thinking the canucks won one series, they think the canucks won two.

SeawaterOnIce

Being invaded again.
Aug 28, 2011
I think there's also a bit of an unconscious mental leap going on when people discuss last season. When they talk about how successful the canucks were they are considering the play in against minny as another series win. So instead of thinking the canucks won one series, they think the canucks won two.

That bubble was a circus.

Stat that matters now is 12 wins in their past 41 regulation games.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
That bubble was a circus.

Stat that matters now is 12 wins in their past 41 regulation games.
Oh completely agreed. I wasn't saying that I believe that. I just think part of the reason so many people were so excited about last year's playoffs was the false idea that the canucks won two series. It made the games against the golden knights almost feel like the conference finals instead of the second round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->