How much cap space do we have?

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Capfriendly shows the flyers have 31.5m of cap space next year with 11 players to add. But how much do we really have?

The flyers will need to sign a veteran goalie. Assuming they go after a good veteran, let's budget between 2 and 4 m.

On defence, I pray they finally buyout MacDonald which would add 3.8m in cap space. Provorov and Sanheim will need to be signed and Myers will be on the team next year. I would budget between 7m and 8 mm for signing provorov and Sanheim . I think provorov is bad on the pp and is overrated 5 on 5. I am in the minority but I think he is #3 or 4 dman. I really like Sanheim.

On offence, they need to resign TK and probably want to resign Laughton . I would budget between 6m and 7m for those two players. I am on the fence regarding Raffl. I think he is better than Laughton but he is older and the organization seems to prefer Laughton. Also, there are only so many roster spots . I hope they trade Laughton and resign Raffl .
--------------------------
In summary

[2m-4m] Goalie+
[7m-8m] - 3.8m buyout dmen
[6m-7m] forwards
=[12.2 m - 16.2 m] .
---------
If the Flyers spent 16.2m they would have 15m to go after a high end free agent.

They can go Panarin, Duchene, Stone, Hayes etc... And still add another free agent like a Zuccarello or someone else

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Capfriendly shows the flyers have 31.5m of cap space next year with 11 players to add. But how much do we really have?

The flyers will need to sign a veteran goalie. Assuming they go after a good veteran, let's budget between 2 and 4 m.

On defence, I pray they finally buyout MacDonald which would add 3.8m in cap space. Provorov and Sanheim will need to be signed and Myers will be on the team next year. I would budget between 7m and 8 mm for signing provorov and Sanheim . I think provorov is bad on the pp and is overrated 5 on 5. I am in the minority but I think he is #3 or 4 dman. I really like Sanheim.

On offence, they need to resign TK and probably want to resign Laughton . I would budget between 6m and 7m for those two players. I am on the fence regarding Raffl. I think he is better than Laughton but he is older and the organization seems to prefer Laughton. Also, there are only so many roster spots . I hope they trade Laughton and resign Raffl .
In summary

[2m-4m] Goalie+
[6m-7m] forwards
=[12.2 m - 16.2 m] .
---------
If the Flyers spent 16.2m they would have 15m to go after a high end free agent.

They can go Panarin, Duchene, Stone, Hayes etc... And still add another free agent like a Zuccarello or someone else

They most definitely should NOT sign a big ticket AND 31 year old declining Zuccarello. Lets save some cap space for future extensions, like Harts in 2 years for instance.

Go after one big fish then promote feom within.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I know I am going to get killed for this but the flyers will expose one of ghost, Sanheim Myers and Provorov in the expansion draft. Unlike the overwhelming consensus I have Sanheim> Ghost>Myers> Provorov .

If we could trade Provorov for Zibanejad or another top line forward I would do it . The forward we would trade for we could protect in the expansion draft .

I also think it would help us attract Panarin or Stone. I could see Panarin or Stone excited to play on a team with Couturier, Zibanejad and Patrick at center with Voracek, Giroux, JVR, TK as wingers.

Last edited:

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
They most definitely should NOT sign a big ticket AND 31 year old declining Zuccarello. Lets save some cap space for future extensions, like Harts in 2 years for instance.

Go after one big fish then promote feom within.

I don't think Zuccarello will get a big contract with alot of term I think he is still pretty good even though he has definitely lost a step. I have always been a Zuccarello fan. Love his hockey sense and competitiveness .

Reactions: Morinisbear

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
The word you're looking for is re-sign. Observe:
  • Eventually, we'll have to re-sign Hart. That is going to cost a lot of money.
  • Richard Nixon resigned as President.
I've also resigned to the fact that the Flyers won't be signing any big name FAs

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

In summary

[2m-4m] Goalie+
[6m-7m] forwards
=[12.2 m - 16.2 m] .
---------

Better question is how much cap space do they have 2-4 years from now before the big contracts expire.
Because a major FA will be a 7 year contract.

Reactions: RebusFlyer

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
200.gif

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I know I am going to get killed for this but the flyers will expose one of ghost, Sanheim Myers and Provorov in the expansion draft. Unlike the overwhelming consensus I have Sanheim> Ghost>Myers> Provorov .

If we could trade Provorov for Zibanejad or another top line forward I would do it . The forward we would trade for we could protect in the expansion draft .

I also think it would help us attract Panarin or Stone. I could see Panarin or Stone excited to play on a team with Couturier, Zibanejad and Patrick at center with Voracek, Giroux, JVR, TK as wingers.
Zibanejad for Provy? Seriously we have our Zibanejad and he’s better, trading Provy especially to the Rags will come back to haunt the Flyers

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Zibanejad for Provy? Seriously we have our Zibanejad and he’s better, trading Provy especially to the Rags will come back to haunt the Flyers

Provorov objectively is bad on tbe pp. His corsi has never been very good. I just don't think he is a star. He is a good dman but nothing special or great. He gets treated on these boards like a god who is a building block and untradable . I don't see it. He is a good dman.

Last edited:

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Lets see Myers get one minute of NHL action before we put him above Provorov.

I am not saying I am right. I think Myers will be the better player. I know what Provorov is and he is a good dman but nothing special .

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
No, you clearly don't.

On the pp he sucks.

His corsi 5 on 5 is meh.

He fumbles the puck alot and is poor at pinching . When he does pinch it often leads to an odd man rush the other way .

Ask another team about provorov and they will be much more objective. He is not this exceptional player .

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
On the pp he sucks.

His corsi 5 on 5 is meh.

He fumbles the puck alot and is poor at pinching . When he does pinch it often leads to an odd man rush the other way .

Ask another team about provorov and they will be much more objective. He is not this exceptional player .

He just turned 21. He gets some of the hardest minutes in the league. He also plays half the game.

His inability to operate a PP is the only legitimate knock on him. And quite honestly, I'm ok with that. He was still a 40 point D man with no PP production last year. The only D man on this team or in the pool that could conceivably be better is Sanheim.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
On the pp he sucks.

His corsi 5 on 5 is meh.

Has some of the hardest minutes in the league and has respectable numbers. You gotta add that context.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018

Go after one big fish then promote from within.
Agreed. 1 player, if the right one, no more. But panarin and karlsson would make for an interesting couple of year.s. Lol. So hard to decide, go for it and block youngsters? Or add just one player and stay the course. 8 million on a player only adds 4 to simmers expiring contract. Even with future re-ups that should be manageable.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Has some of the hardest minutes in the league and has respectable numbers. You gotta add that context.

I didn't see he was bad . I said he is not an exceptional dman. He is good but not great. Trading him for Zibanejad is hardly any insult. Zibanejad is really good and on a greay contract. Provorov is not indispensable .

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
No one is prepared to play his 25 minutes a night. He plays 5 minutes more than the next highest dman.

Oh please. Sanheim gudas and ghost can take on more minutes. Myers played like 50 minutes in an AHL playoff game last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad