Line Combos: How many "tough" players do the Toronto Maple Leafs have?

Who are the "tough" players on the Toronto Maple Leafs?

• Total voters

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
This is one reason why I want Gudas so bad. You add him to the D, find a cheaper version of Clifford for the 4th line and it's a start.

Getting a guy to replace Kerfoot for the 3rd line C that has a bit more size and a little piss and vinegar and we're talking.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
No as simular as one would think....Martin knows when to drop the hammer..always takes someone to the box with him...is rarely out of control..never uses his stick as a weapon....can chirp big time and never cheap shots a player......Big time glue guy also...Johnson in comparison is a mini Marts in training ..but tough.
Loved having Martin, understood he had to go though, too rich for a guy that was regularly benched here for some reason.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
(hitting) It most certainly is toughness....Giving punishment and being able to take a regular shift plus adding offence/defence is everything...Ex...listening to on ice mic's you could constantly hear D partners calling out "Martin" Martin"...in a effort to save their mates destruction and a puck turnover.
Add the fact Both Ciz. and Clutterbuck hit also...now you have bad dreams as a D-core since they are not sure which of the three are tracking them...the main guy being Martin just packs more punch in his hits and can send you to the showers early.

"the willingness to take punishment" sounds good ?...untill you are on the receiving end of relentless hitting as the NYI Identity line does...Tavaras improved in this department in Tor..only due to being surrounded by Charmin Soft...otherwise he gets clobbered since he also is not in the tough player category.

It doesn't take toughness to hit somebody else. Both needed elements, but are definitely not the same thing.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
It doesn't take toughness to hit somebody else. Both needed elements, but are definitely not the same thing.

Sacrificing your body to deliver the big hit not only takes toughness ..a good hitter is also mentally tough since while trying to make a clean hit you also put yourself at risk to be injured....This type of player as in the case of the "identity line"...risks everything to change the eb and flow of a game.

This is why few have the common denominator explained above...Its called Toughness

This same type player can take a hit to move the puck also....no turning your back..no dipsy doodling spinning around to avoid the contact...so many on the Leafs do this resulting in turnovers and loss battles.
Ring any bells?....the makeup of the Leafs is not to play for the guy next to you....I follow both leafs and Isles ..the difference in chemistry and toughness is clear.

Year 1 when #17 came to Toronto...a "Glue became evident" between players a team toughness identity was being created ..( do you recall Leafs tender skating 200 ft during the Vancouver game when Martin was fighting and Vancouver's goalie got involved)..see anything like that lately?....Players with little intestinal fortitude stood a little taller....toughness on the back end with even a Komorov type helped immensely.....all checkers....where are they now...near all leafs that left played in the playoffs to some degree...How did the Leafs do?

If not for the head case coach at the time who thought he would re-invent the game by breaking his own players by benching them for sticking up for fellow mates. .. this very coach intimidated the Marners etc..the Leafs should be playoff bound consistently. Player chemistry was lost due to the very person that was put in charge to coach them. Reason why?..since we know he did the very same to players he coached elsewhere...one can be confident with the explanation.."it was all about Mike" and his 50 mill.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

No, it definitely takes some toughness to go hit someone. If you don't have toughness the go to move is to do the flyby stick check while maintaining your social distance.

Reactions: Faltorvo

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
This is one reason why I want Gudas so bad. You add him to the D, find a cheaper version of Clifford for the 4th line and it's a start.

Getting a guy to replace Kerfoot for the 3rd line C that has a bit more size and a little piss and vinegar and we're talking.

I believe everyone would be very disappointed if they thought they were getting a tough guy enforcer type with Gudas.
He had 2 fights this year and I just went to watch them and he threw zero punches in both fights. He is 205 lbs, not that big and probably causes more crap on the ice then ends it.
I don't see him as a fit in any way other than his right handedness.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
No, it definitely takes some toughness to go hit someone. If you don't have toughness the go to move is to do the flyby stick check while maintaining your social distance.

We’re just not going to agree.

I played to too many guys who loved to throw the body around, but then shit their pants when it was coming back at them.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We’re just not going to agree.

I played to too many guys who loved to throw the body around, but then shit their pants when it was coming back at them.

Well, beer league aside, there are a fair share of current Leafs players who don't hit in the first place and crap their pants when they get hit. So yeah, give me the guy's who is not tough but likes to dish it out.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Well, beer league aside, there are a fair share of current Leafs players who don't hit in the first place and crap their pants when they get hit. So yeah, give me the guy's who is not tough but likes to dish it out.

As I said, we need guys who hit as well.

Did I just get "flamed" by a moderator? :laugh:

Reactions: rubous

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
lol yea that was an impressive burn by Stephen, pretty funny stuff:laugh:, under the radar at its finest lol

I laughed.

Been a long time since I played full contact beer league. Went to a Loblaws company tournament one year, which got out of hand. Played a team from Quebec with tuxedo jerseys. Opening face-off, all 5 of their guys drop their gloves and jump our guys. Face-off following that, all 5 of their guys drop their gloves and jump our guys. 6 second into the first game, they're kicked out. I'm glad I was on the 3rd line :sarcasm:

Reactions: rubous

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I laughed.

Been a long time since I played full contact beer league. Went to a Loblaws company tournament one year, which got out of hand. Played a team from Quebec with tuxedo jerseys. Opening face-off, all 5 of their guys drop their gloves and jump our guys. Face-off following that, all 5 of their guys drop their gloves and jump our guys. 6 second into the first game, they're kicked out. I'm glad I was on the 3rd line :sarcasm:
lol, at least u got to play didn't get kicked out. must of been a tiring game, lots of ice time though!

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Barabanov,Lehtonen and Mikheyev are in i believe. Soupy has sponsorship and a comfort level in Toronto.2 years@$1,500,000 per would be good.
Barabanov brings some jam from my limited look at him
1.5m for soup???

like f***ing hell

career 43g 8 g 23p , totally ghosted in the play ins 0 points -1

if Tbay can make superstar #1c B Point ink for just 6.75 while lesser players like Marner are inking 11m per

we sure as heck can make soup bend the knee in a dead cap world.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I laughed.

:laugh:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
1.5m for soup???

like f***ing hell

career 43g 8 g 23p , totally ghosted in the play ins 0 points -1

if Tbay can make superstar #1c B Point ink for just 6.75 while lesser players like Marner are inking 11m per

we sure as heck can make soup bend the knee in a dead cap world.

yeah the injury should screw any chances of him getting a big raise or anything. should be another cheap short term deal there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad