Line Combos: How many "tough" players do the Toronto Maple Leafs have?

Who are the "tough" players on the Toronto Maple Leafs?

• Total voters

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Would like to know how many tough/physical presence players we think the Leafs have right now, in the fans eyes...

We've seen a lot of toughness, grit, and even fights in the playoffs so far (particularly in the Eastern Conference).

Who do you think are our guys who can "beat em in the alley"?

I think I can count 1 or 2 players.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Depends on your definition of "tough." We don't have any guys that are Belak, Domi or Tucker "tough." Not even close. But we have one guy that's man enough to finish his checks in Hyman, and one guy who can't be pushed around in Muzzin. Our toughest player in Kadri was traded away last year in an awful trade.

We are an extremely soft team and, barring changes, we will continue to have no success in the playoffs, or miss them entirely. Unfortunately, Dubas is an ostrich with his head in the sand on this issue. Skill, skill, skill is all that matters to him. Too bad no one told him this isn't the OHL any more.

Skill gets you wins some of the time. Skill + toughness wins cups.

By the way, what was the point of adding guys like Nylander, Marner and Kerfoot in this poll?

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Of that list I'd say there's 3, maybe 4, that could survive a long playoff run and wouldn't neccesarily crawl into their shell when the going gets tough (obviously at different levels for their skillset):

1. Muzzin
2. Hyman
3. Matthews
4. Rielly (maybe)

I don't really know whether Tavares qualifies or not? Gets bullied and thrown around most games, does nothing to defend himself or show any emotion, but gets back up every time, only to be thrown around again.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Depends on your definition of "tough." We don't have any guys that are Belak, Domi or Tucker "tough." Not even close. But we have one guy that's man enough to finish his checks in Hyman, and one guy who can't be pushed around in Muzzin. Our toughest player in Kadri was traded away last year in an awful trade.

We are an extremely soft team and, barring changes, we will continue to have no success in the playoffs, or miss them entirely. Unfortunately, Dubas is an ostrich with his head in the sand on this issue. Skill, skill, skill is all that matters to him. Too bad no one told him this isn't the OHL any more.

By the way, what was the point of adding guys like Nylander, Marner and Kerfoot in this poll?

Which is what came to my mind when I read the OP question. Tavares is tough on the pucks, he is tough along the boards, he is tough to move in the crease but he is far from a Domi type.

Hyman is tough to play against but he's not Muzzin tough

Reactions: ToneDog

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Responses like this are simply mind numbly stupid, if you don't like it move on, clearly some people want to discuss this topic. Why be an agitator when you can simply just move on?

There is a quote that has been attributed to many people through the years but when I read your post this came to mind

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt" - Twain, Lincoln, the Bible...
lol fair enough....guess we'll see where it goes and that will explain it.

Edit: but yeah my post was definitely prickish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluelines

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Seems like a reasonable topic of discussion. What do you find problematic with it?

So much. It's a pretty obvious problem. 'Tough players' is way to subjective. Players chosen seem to be pushing a narrative....that we all agree on anyway.
But as I replied to the other poster....lets see where it goes. Does it really need a thread, or can the huge number of 'we need more grit' posts cover it?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
So much. It's a pretty obvious problem. 'Tough players' is way to subjective. Players chosen seem to be pushing a narrative....that we all agree on anyway.
But as I replied to the other poster....lets see where it goes. Does it really need a thread, or can the huge number of 'we need more grit' posts cover it?

What? :laugh:

The players "chosen for narrative" are literally just Leafs players under contract for next season who are expected to feature in the top-six (F) / top-four (D).

Oh except Spezza. Not sure why I put him in there.

Silly me...

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The problem is not “toughness” it’s the fact that they play too “pretty” in the playoffs. You can’t. You have to go into the “dirty” areas. Also, be mean bunch of mf’ers. Pretend like everybody on the other team in Babcock and you want to hit him as hard as possible each time.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They have some decent skaters and, with proper training and dedication, could’ve done wonders in speed skating.

Matthews, Hyman and Muzzin are real NHL hockey players. Matthews is becoming one of those must watch players.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The worst thing about this thread, we’ve seen it every year for the past 3 yrs. We are talking about the Toronto Maple Leafs lacking toughness. The Maple Leafs!!!

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Tough like Domi, Tucker etc.? None.

I'd put Muzzin and Hyman in the "tough" category because they play hard and physical.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Guys who can play physical and pushback:
  • Hyman
  • Muzzin
  • Johnsson
  • Holl
You probably need more than that, which is why I think Dubas' roster construction this off-season is going to be really interesting to watch; he alluded to it in his exit media obligations that his vision for this team is changing, which I interpret to mean - we need to be harder and tougher to play against

Reactions: WildWolfdog

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016

Also limited to 4 people I picked Mathews Rielly Hyman Muzzin, would liked to have included Tavares. I agree with your assessment of them not being Tucker etc tuff. I think u captured Muzzin and Hyman correct. I feel in this assessment that Travers, Mathews and Rielly give a complete level and don't shy away. Far from tough but felt like they should be included.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Guys who can play physical and pushback:
  • Hyman
  • Muzzin
  • Johnsson
  • Holl
You probably need more than that, which is why I think Dubas' roster construction this off-season is going to be really interesting to watch; he alluded to it in his exit media obligations that his vision for this team is changing, which I interpret to mean - we need to be harder and tougher to play against

Changing?

Sorry but I'm not convinced.

I think it's more him begrudgingly accepting that his idealistic view of how the game should be played (wimpy/non-contact) is not how it actually plays out in reality in the NHL, and not at all what's conducive towards having success - especially during the playoffs.

Reactions: rubous

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
What? :laugh:

The players "chosen for narrative" are literally just Leafs players under contract for next season who are expected to feature in the top-six (F) / top-four (D).

Oh except Spezza. Not sure why I put him in there.

Silly me...
Narrative, Agenda, Crusade and Covid are the only things I'm going to remember about 2020. Never seen 4 words used so much in my life.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Nylander is more mental tough than anyone on the team dealing with the media.

Matthews is tough as f***.

Have you seen Marner's arms?

Tavares has a baby, that's tough.

Reactions: WillNyTheScoringGuy

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Would like to know how many tough/physical presence players we think the Leafs have right now, in the fans eyes...

We've seen a lot of toughness, grit, and even fights in the playoffs so far (particularly in the Eastern Conference).

Who do you think are our guys who can "beat em in the alley"?

I think I can count 1 or 2 players.

What do you think?
Yes sire. Not many, almost not at all. Certain type of toughness is totally missing too. And that's a miracle if you ask me. Lou couldn't teach even that to the young dubas during his time.

I need Simmonds here before next season. He also stated that he wants to be a maple leaf as soon as possible. So lets get the jerseys going and selling soon. :clap: Borowiechki would be another guy. Doesn't back off to nobody. Can play some good hockey too. If these two souljas is being gotten, then Eakin or some other faceoff soulja who can play some dirty tricks would be aaight on the C spot. That would be it for us. Enough hardness is being gotten and we'd be set for life again. Tucker, Corson Roberts Domi type of way. For life.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Here are those players ranked by hits this past 2019-20 season.

Muzzin ......... 109 hits
Holl ................ 89
Dermott ...... 76
Hyman ......... 52
Kerfoot ......... 48
Johnsson ..... 43
Matthews ... 40
Rielly ............. 38
Tavares ........ 32
Sandin ......... 33
Engvall ........ 29
Mikheyev ... 26