How many points will Hughes and Kakko have in year one?

How many points will Hughes and Kakko have in year one? (pick one for each)

• Hughes: 80+

• Hughes: 70-79

• Hughes: 60-69

• Hughes: 50-59

• Hughes: 40-49

• Hughes: 30-39

• Hughes: Below 30

• Kakko: 80+

• Kakko: 70-79

• Kakko: 60-69

• Kakko: 50-59

• Kakko: 40-49

• Kakko: 30-39

• Kakko: Below 30

Results are only viewable after voting.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Ok, how about Patrick Kane's 18 year old season - similar hype as Hughes (actually probably less) and had 70 points.

RNH had a pretty good rookie year himself as an 18 year old.
RNH is 6 foot and Kane is one of the best players in the sport. So unless you are saying Hughes is top 4 in the NHL i don't get your point besides finding something to argue over.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
RNH is 6 foot and Kane is one of the best players in the sport. So unless you are saying Hughes is top 4 in the NHL i don't get your point besides finding something to argue over.
My point is that there is a precedent for small / slight 18 year olds finding success in today's NHL. And I'm not sure if you were aware, but Hughes shares many traits with Patrick Kane.

RNH was 6'0 164 when he was drafted - not short but definitely not tall, and thin as a rail. Hughes is 5'10 171 (and claims to be 5'11 now, and looks it)

Skinner was a 5'10 18 year old and scored 31 goals and 63 points.

Sam Gagner was a average skating shrimp and scored 49p at 18.

Plenty of smaller guys have found success at 18, I don't expect Hughes to be any different.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
My point is that there is a precedent for small / slight 18 year olds finding success in today's NHL. And I'm not sure if you were aware, but Hughes shares many traits with Patrick Kane.

RNH was 6'0 164 when he was drafted - not short but definitely not tall, and thin as a rail. Hughes is 5'10 171 (and claims to be 5'11 now, and looks it)

Skinner was a 5'10 18 year old and scored 31 goals and 63 points.

Sam Gagner was a average skating shrimp and scored 49p at 18.

Plenty of smaller guys have found success at 18, I don't expect Hughes to be any different.
And there is plenty of people who struggled and couldnt play at 18 and undersized. Your point is we wont know until we know and you sound really useless to talk to.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
And there is plenty of people who struggled and couldnt play at 18 and undersized. Your point is we wont know until we know and you sound really useless to talk to.
Who was the last forward picked first overall who didn't play in the NHL as an 18 year old, and go on to score at least 30 points?

You voting for Hughes <30 points would set a historical precedent for 1st overall picks.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Both less than 50.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they'll be great players, but they aren't generational talents.
Wouldn't surprise me if they both had PPG seasons in the future, but 50 points for a kid that's just been drafted is incredible.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
I put both in the 40-49 range. A lot depends on usage and linemates tbh.

Physically Kappo is more ready to perform but we'll see how things play out.

Edit: Also has either player played 80+ games Ina single season?

Kakko:
FEL (Liiga) - 50GP
U20 - 18GP
WHC - 18GP
Total: 96GP

Hughes:
USHL - 24GP
USDP - 50GP
U18 - 7GP
U20 - 4GP
WHC - 7GP
Total: 92GP

So summa summarum: Yes.

Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
216 Points for Kakko.

Hughes gets bought out his rookie year.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Omark

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Wow, would Hughes get this much hate if he were drafted by Chicago or NYR? It seems he has gone from a borderline generational American talent to an average top 10 pick. While not a perfect comparison, Hughes is a better prospect in nearly every aspect than 19 year old Keller who put up 65 points. He is faster, better on his edges, better with the puck, a better playmaker, more electric with a better shot and the same size.

Last edited:
Reactions: vtdevils2k

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I am wondering if all these posters using size as a reason for Hughes not being as ready follow the modern NHL... Like we are in a league where Marner is a dominant winger and made the NHL at 165 pounds, and Debringcat is 5 foot 7 and 165 and just scored 40 goals.
You mean two players who couldn't play in NHL after their draft and had to be sent back down?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Couldn't or didn't? Learn the difference between the two.
I'm aware of the difference. Do you have proof that they could have? Especially Marner was a bit of a disappointment at camp and it was clear he wasn't ready - I wasn't following Debrincat that closely but I doubt he was NHL ready.

My point is that using 2 players who didn't make NHL right away as an example that Hughes will be fine in NHL right away isn't very valid.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I'm aware of the difference. Do you have proof that they could have? Especially Marner was a bit of a disappointment at camp and it was clear he wasn't ready - I wasn't following Debrincat that closely but I doubt he was NHL ready.

My point is that using 2 players who didn't make NHL right away as an example that Hughes will be fine in NHL right away isn't very valid.
Regardless if you want to use that as an example, Hughes is a much better prospect than either of those guys were as 18 year olds. The most notable difference is that his skating is probably a 75 ATM with a chance to be an 80 if his top end speed increases a little bit.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wow, would Hughes get this much hate if he were drafted by Chicago or NYR? It seems he has gone from a borderline generational American talent to an average top 10 pick. While not a perfect comparison, Hughes is a better prospect in nearly every aspect than 19 year old Keller who put up 65 points. He is faster, better on his edges, better with the puck, a better playmaker, more electric with a better shot and the same size.

I don't think its a terrible comparison, but Keller was a year older when he scored 65 points. I wouldn't be surprised if Hughes scores around that amount this season though. He's a better player than Keller, but I think its by less than most people think. Hughes is a faster skater, but I like Keller's compete level more. The rest of their games are very similar, in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad