How many points will Hughes and Kakko have in year one?

How many points will Hughes and Kakko have in year one? (pick one for each)

• Hughes: 80+

• Hughes: 70-79

• Hughes: 60-69

• Hughes: 50-59

• Hughes: 40-49

• Hughes: 30-39

• Hughes: Below 30

• Kakko: 80+

• Kakko: 70-79

• Kakko: 60-69

• Kakko: 50-59

• Kakko: 40-49

• Kakko: 30-39

• Kakko: Below 30

Results are only viewable after voting.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
People are predicting 70+ points. I don't think he is better than Matthews or Laine.

I don't think he gets 70, but keep in mind scoring has been going up the past 2 years. Matthews's 69 points was tied for 20th in league scoring. Last year, 69 points was 56th in league scoring.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
the options listed are hysterical

hughes ~30
kakko ~30-39

if these kids step in and put up the fantasy options listed, this league isn't very good anymore

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

hughes ~30
kakko ~30-39

if these kids step in and put up the fantasy options listed, this league isn't very good anymore
So was the league not good in 2016-2017 when Matthews and Laine did it?

I do agree that Kakko will likely outperform Hughes in year 1 simply due to having a more NHL ready frame.

After that I think it will be close but with Hughes generally outperforming Kakko by small, yet consistent margins.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
So was the league not good in 2016-2017 when Matthews and Laine did it?

I do agree that Kakko will likely outperform Hughes in year 1 simply due to having a more NHL ready frame.

After that I think it will be close but with Hughes generally outperforming Kakko by small, yet consistent margins.
fair enough, that's hyperbole, but so are most of the options listed here imo. it's the off season, so fans are a little more disconnected from reality than usual i suppose.

hughes is a center and, if he's used that way, for that reason alone will probably record less points than kakko. always harder for a center to break in than a winger. much more responsibility, despite the sheltered starts he'll receive.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
fair enough, that's hyperbole, but so are most of the options listed here imo. it's the off season, so fans are a little more disconnected from reality than usual i suppose.

hughes is a center and, if he's used that way, for that reason alone will probably record less points than kakko. always harder for a center to break in than a winger. much more responsibility, despite the sheltered starts he'll receive.

How is it hyperbole. Hughes is a C. Matthews was a C. Laine was a wing. Kakko is a wing. I read plenty this year about how Hughes and Kakko were the best C and wing prospects since Matthews and Laine. If anything, I think it is quite a fitting comparison.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
How is it hyperbole. Hughes is a C. Matthews was a C. Laine was a wing. Kakko is a wing. I read plenty this year about how Hughes and Kakko were the best C and wing prospects since Matthews and Laine. If anything, I think it is quite a fitting comparison.
being the best prospect available at the position since X player does not equal being comparable talent-wise to X player. matthews and laine stepping in as teens and putting up those numbers is not typical. i don't think that trend is likely to continue, but pettersson also did it last year as a 20 y.o. so i might just be wrong about this trend too.

i think it's hyperbolic to suggest these two kids are going to be two of the best in the league next year. good rookie seasons, sure. they are immensely talented teenagers so i doubt they will flat out disappoint. i don't expect either team they're joining to be a playoff contender and i think that'll hamper their point totals in the end. the metro is the weaker eastern division though, so i guess anything could happen.

i still expect at most about 40 points from them.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I am wondering if all these posters using size as a reason for Hughes not being as ready follow the modern NHL... Like we are in a league where Marner is a dominant winger and made the NHL at 165 pounds, and Debringcat is 5 foot 7 and 165 and just scored 40 goals.

Now, you can dislike the player for other reasons, but his size is a really bad one.
Neither of those players played a single game their draft year. Stop trying to compare oranges and apples.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I clearly said when they made their NHL debut, and the point is about size, so I fail to see how it's oranges to apples.
So you are saying there is no difference between a kid who just turned 18 a month ago who is under sized and say someone like mats zuccarello who was 23 when he debuted because they are both small. Got it. Defineitly not cherry picking data to move goal lines AT ALL. Very logical and profound post. I understand now.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So you are saying there is no difference between a kid who just turned 18 a month ago who is under sized and say someone like mats zuccarello who was 23 when he debuted because they are both small. Got it. Defineitly not cherry picking data to move goal lines AT ALL. Very logical and profound post. I understand now.

No.. I am quite clearly talking about Marner, who made it at 19, and Debringcat, and referencing their size. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Both in the 50’s. They’re both going to have a bit of an adjustment, Kakko to the NA ice and Hughes to being 170 lbs in a men’s league. But they’ll get it going late.

IMO for them to be in the 50's both need a solid start to the season. That's always where the new unknowns do well until teams adjust, and the games are more loose in general.

18 year olds can always run out of gas, unless they've been used sparingly in the 1st half, which also means they haven't piled up many points by that point.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I put both in the 40-49 range. A lot depends on usage and linemates tbh.

Physically Kappo is more ready to perform but we'll see how things play out.

Edit: Also has either player played 80+ games Ina single season?

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
I am wondering if all these posters using size as a reason for Hughes not being as ready follow the modern NHL... Like we are in a league where Marner is a dominant winger and made the NHL at 165 pounds, and Debringcat is 5 foot 7 and 165 and just scored 40 goals.

Now, you can dislike the player for other reasons, but his size is a really bad one.

Point, Kane, Gaudreau, Atkinson, Konecny, Keller, Bratt, Avridsson, Marchand, Johnsson, Marchessault, Gourde...

He showed flashes but he seemed overwhelmed at times too.

That's kind of his game though. Even if you watch his best games against USHL teams, he would often spend time away from puck and sometimes off his skates.

hughes ~30
kakko ~30-39

Those were real numbers - actual stats - listed at top of post for players in season right after their draft.

I put both in the 40-49 range. A lot depends on usage and linemates tbh.

Physically Kappo is more ready to perform but we'll see how things play out.

Edit: Also has either player played 80+ games Ina single season?

Between 60-70...common for others their age

Reactions: Riseonfire

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Would be very surprised if Hughes outpoints Kakko in year 1.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
People are predicting 70+ points. I don't think he is better than Matthews or Laine.

Those guys were outliers though, both had absolutely phenomenal rookie seasons considering it was their D+1 year.

Look at other 1/2 picked forwards like Hall/Seguin, Hischier/Patrick, MacKinnon/Barkov, RNH/Landeskog, and you’ll find that even among great players, that kind of production from D+1 rookies is very rare. Even McDavid/Eichel didn’t score 60 points. (McDavid paced over 82 but was injured.)

I think Kakko/Hughes are both special players, but I don’t think they’re better than most of the guys on that list. I’ll say between 40 and 50 points for both of them assuming they stay healthy.

EDIT: Wow, before my vote for Kakko 40-49, there were over 3 times as many votes for Kakko 60-69 as there were for Kakko 40-49. I think that’s quite a bit optimistic but we’ll see.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

It's not just size, per se. His body is underdeveloped.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hughes seemed to struggle in the worlds so I wouldn't be surprised if he puts under 0.5 point a game.

Kakko will score 50ish points.
He had a slow start but got better and better as the tournament went on. He was one of our best forwards in our final game.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Neither of those players played a single game their draft year. Stop trying to compare oranges and apples.

Ok, how about Patrick Kane's 18 year old season - similar hype as Hughes (actually probably less) and had 70 points.

RNH had a pretty good rookie year himself as an 18 year old.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It's not just size, per se. His body is underdeveloped.
It will be interesting to see how much physical development he undergoes over the summer. He's definitely got some filling out to do but I think he's skilled enough where it won't matter.

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
Even Laine's specialty (and basically the only thing he's great at) Kakko scored 5 more goals in 1 less game than Laine did in the same league at the same age.
Laine
GP: 46
G: 17
A: 16
PTS: 33

Kakko
GP: 45
G: 22
A: 16
PTS: 38

And Kakko is a way better skater, with way better hands, a way higher compete level, way better defensively, way better at playmaking, and he's way harder to knock off the puck. What argument is there that would put Laine ahead of Kakko at the same stage of their development?

When healthy Laine has the best shot i´ve ever seen and when he is on he´s overall play is great too, i think he might have been depressed on top of the injury and Laine does seem more driven by motivation while Kakko seems more solid at his worst. Don´t know who i belive in the most, but i do know that i predicted back in 2016 Laine to win his first rocket the season after he signs his real (not ELC) contract and i stand by it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad