How many points for "The Next One"

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This really needs to stop. If he was that good he would've destroyed everyone at the WJC. He was great, but it's not like he was producing at some stupid level and left everyone behind.

Speaking of WJC.. He was on par with Lazar in that tourney .. Lazar has struggled big time in NHL .. 15pts only.

McDavid wouldnt be the primary scoring threat in EDM so all this 100+ is nothing but wishful.. Leading scorer in NHL had 87 pts this season. Tavares is in his prime and had a career best year but still only got 86pts..

25G rookie seasin for McDavid would be a success.. 25G-35A is a very good season.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Personally I think the hype and pressure on him is too high.

I know he's very mature and is probably already used to a lot of pressure... being in the spotlight as "the next one" for years already but I do hope people temper their expectations.

If he has some trouble adapting to the NHL pace and physicality (as many 18 year olds do) and puts up a "decent" rookie year of 40-55 pts I hope people cut him some slack and realize he needs time to develop and adapt like any mere mortal prospect.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Are we gonna win our first Calder in Franchise History...

Won't be easy. Have lots of guys from last year that have an extra year of development. Max Domi is in on the mix as well. Then there are guys that come out of no where like this year that were drafted 5+ years ago.

Sure be nice

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Mark Stone OTT R 80 26 38 64
Johnny Gaudreau 80 24 40 64
Filip Forsberg 82 26 37 63

Top 3 Rookies this year. I voted 80-100 closer to 80 than 100

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Speaking of WJC.. He was on par with Lazar in that tourney .. Lazar has struggled big time in NHL .. 15pts only.

McDavid wouldnt be the primary scoring threat in EDM so all this 100+ is nothing but wishful.. Leading scorer in NHL had 87 pts this season. Tavares is in his prime and had a career best year but still only got 86pts..

25G rookie seasin for McDavid would be a success.. 25G-35A is a very good season.

exactly... if mcdavid gets 60 points next year, i think we should all be very, very happy

Comic Book Guy*

exactly... if mcdavid gets 60 points next year, i think we should all be very, very happy

I personally won't be. You can't be dubbed generational if you're only good for 60 pts. If he doesn't score more than 80 points next year, he didnt live up to his 'generational' tag in his rookie year. It's really as simple as that. Once in a generation means his stats must look like statistical anomalies. He does not follow any sort of trend. He should be on a plane of his own.

If he fails to meet lofty expectations his first year, does that mean he won't be better? No.

But if you look at the other true generational talents, they were elite right away.

60 points is Mike Ribeiro-prime territory. It is not elite.

If he's generational, he must be elite.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I personally won't be. You can't be dubbed generational if you're only good for 60 pts. If he doesn't score more than 80 points next year, he didnt live up to his 'generational' tag in his rookie year. It's really as simple as that. Once in a generation means his stats must look like statistical anomalies. He does not follow any sort of trend. He should be on a plane of his own.

If he fails to meet lofty expectations his first year, does that mean he won't be better? No.

But if you look at the other true generational talents, they were elite right away.

60 points is Mike Ribeiro-prime territory. It is not elite.

If he's generational, he must be elite.

well, if he scored 80 points next year, he would almost for sure be top-10 in scoring... sorry, but that just isn't going to happen, so you better start getting prepared to be disappointed

Comic Book Guy*

well, if he scored 80 points next year, he would almost for sure be top-10 in scoring... sorry, but that just isn't going to happen, so you better start getting prepared to be disappointed

I'm okay and prepared for that. I'm just saying that 'once in a generation' means it would be hard to believe he could achieve certain feats -- like be top 10 in scoring.

If he's in fact generational, you have to be open to him being a statistical anomaly. If he's not scoring at an elite level (top 10 in scoring), then he's not once in a generation. Simple.

I'm just clarifying what's associated with that tag. I'm not saying he's going to score 80. I'm saying that's the expectation if you call him that.

That's all there is to it, really.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm okay and prepared for that. I'm just saying that 'once in a generation' means it would be hard to believe he could achieve certain feats -- like be top 10 in scoring.

If he's in fact generational, you have to be open to him being a statistical anomaly. If he's not scoring at an elite level (top 10 in scoring), then he's not once in a generation. Simple.

I'm just clarifying what's associated with that tag. I'm not saying he's going to score 80. I'm saying that's the expectation if you call him that.

That's all there is to it, really.

oh yeah, i agree... if he really does turn out to be a "generational" player, then he likely *does* finish top-10 in scoring next season... or close to it at any point

i'll believe it when i see it though

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
71 points on the button, in 79 games. 2nd in team scoring, behind Eberle.

EDIT: Hall goes 70 in 70.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Personally I think the hype and pressure on him is too high.

I know he's very mature and is probably already used to a lot of pressure... being in the spotlight as "the next one" for years already but I do hope people temper their expectations.

If he has some trouble adapting to the NHL pace and physicality (as many 18 year olds do) and puts up a "decent" rookie year of 40-55 pts I hope people cut him some slack and realize he needs time to develop and adapt like any mere mortal prospect.

I agree with this. The hype is quickly becoming dysfunctional...its way over the top.

I know it wont but I would really like to see the hype simmer down a bit. This is a 17 -18 year old kid we are heaping all this pressure on.

This thread is a microcosm of that...75% of posters think that 65 points will be the low end of what they expect from Conner. :amazed:

45-55 points would be just fine.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
50-60.

Crosby scored a lot more, but he was THE offensive option on his team, and they had a better defence, and scoring was higher 10 years ago (seriously make nets bigger, it's the only way. 6'6 goalies my arse).

MacKinnon scored 63 but he got to play wing on a team stacked with veteran centres and, again, got some cushy minutes and much of his team rode some really high percentages, which accounts for so many assists.

I think MacKinnon's numbers are a pretty good benchmark for McDavid on this team.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Crosby at 17 had 9 points in 6 games at the WJC.
Then 102 points in the (post-lockout power play bonanza) NHL.

McDavid at 17 (almost 18) had 11 points in 7 games at the WJC.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
If he's supposed to be equal to or better than Crosby than he should be able to finish top-10 in scoring like Crosby did in his rookie season. Looking at this year's top-10 scorer's point totals, I'd say McDavid should score around 75-90 points if he plays 80 games.

60 points is too low if he plays a full season. MacKinnon scored 63 points in his rookie season, and McDavid >>> MacKinnon.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
This really needs to stop. If he was that good he would've destroyed everyone at the WJC. He was great, but it's not like he was producing at some stupid level and left everyone behind.

You have no idea how good he actually is.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
It's almost impossible to guess without knowing who the coach is going to be and what free agents they pick up.
I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll put up around 65-75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad