How many points for "The Next One"

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Assuming he plays a full season, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't score at least 60 points. Remember, Nuge had 52 points in 62 games in his rookie season and he was a twig.

The skating and Hockey IQ is off the charts to the likes that I've never seen before, even Crosby, and he's going to play with high level offensive wingers. The one inhibiting factor is that he's not nearly as strong as Crosby was in his draft year which is scary considering how good he is already, wait until he gains man strength.

You have to account for distribution of minutes and PP time which should be somewhat limited for McDavid due to the offensive depth that the Oilers have (sounds weird to say, doesn't it?) so I don't see any crazy numbers for him right away. I'd say 65-70 points is fairly realistic. Is it October yet?

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This really needs to stop. If he was that good he would've destroyed everyone at the WJC. He was great, but it's not like he was producing at some stupid level and left everyone behind.

Crosby didn't destroy the WJC either. I can't recall a 17 year old that has in recent memory at least.
Also, keep in mind that McDavid was fresh off the injury so that probably limited him somewhat.

With that said, I don't think he's better than Crosby was at the same age but he has more room for growth than Crosby did IMO.

Admittedly though, I'm a bit nervous about all the expectations being laid on him. It takes a special kind of player to take the pressure in stride and thrive, it'll be a challenge for him especially in the Edmonton fishbowl which Crosby didn't have to deal with in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
I'd be ok with at least 55 or 60. Anything under 50 and I'd be disappointed.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Gretzky is not perfect, but he's commented that McDavid is the best player he's seen since Lemieux and Crosby. In the past 30 years. The last time he made comments about a player like that it was about Crosby.

80 points seems to be an ambitious, but achievable goal, and I would have said higher but offense is down quite a bit these days in the NHL.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Crosby didn't destroy the WJC either. I can't recall a 17 year old that has in recent memory at least.
Also, keep in mind that McDavid was fresh off the injury so that probably limited him somewhat.

With that said, I don't think he's better than Crosby was at the same age but he has more room for growth than Crosby did IMO.

Admittedly though, I'm a bit nervous about all the expectations being laid on him. It takes a special kind of player to take the pressure in stride and thrive, it'll be a challenge for him especially in the Edmonton fishbowl which Crosby didn't have to deal with in Pittsburgh.

Some kid named Gretzky did light up the WJHC as a 16 year old. I hear he went on to be a solid NHL'er. :D

People do need to remember that individual scoring is really down from what it was when Crosby broke in. Realistically 65 points would be an outstanding first season, especially if Nuge still gets big minutes.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Some food for thought:

McDavid is entering the league right when it is shifting back to a speed game. Elite skaters have the advantage now.

Speed, agility, edge work - these are all qualities McDavid has in spades. He has generational agility.

His game is different enough from Crosby's that I would say you shouldn't directly compare the two to each other, and it will affect point production as well.

Crosby: ++Strength, +Shooting, +Hockey IQ

McDavid: +Speed, ++Agility, +Stickhandling

Everything else is a saw off. Still different enough though - Crosby's game isn't about deking and stick handling into traffic. It's about power, board work, and puck distribution combined with a deadly shot (including a severely underrated backhand).

McDavid is about edge work, speed through seams, puck movement on his own stick to deceive. He's among the most elusive of players, could rival Gretzky for that ability.

Just because Crosby isn't able to put up the same amount of points now as he used to it doesn't mean McDavid can't. It's a different game now than it was ten years ago.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
When all is considered I think you call McDavid vs Crosby a draw. The big thing I think many are missing is that the OHL this year was a tougher defensive division than the Q Crosby's two years there. McDavid had to battle alot better deference than Crosby did.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
75pts with the Buffalo Sabres as Keven Lowe decides its better to burn out than fade away and goes rogue at the draft, charging the stage yelling "I know a thing or 2" and takes Marner (small skilled forward...haha) before McTavish can tackle him...hmmmmm....

but seriously...65 as is...75 if oiler D improves.

Last edited:

ehhteen

5-14-6-1
Jan 15, 2010
Connor's Place
75pts with the Buffalo Sabres as Keven Lowe decides its better to burn out than fade away and goes rogue at the draft, charging the stage yelling "I know a thing or 2" and takes Marner (small skilled forward...haha) before McTavish can tackle him...hmmmmm....
Rexall would be burned to the ground if that happened. LOL.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
If you want comparables I think Patrik Kane comes the closest. He had 2.5 points per game in the OHL. Then scored 70. With that said Kane was lower in terms of % of team goals. As some one pointed out both Crosby and McDavid were at the 50% mark. That is a pretty special mark to reach.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Don't know and don't care.

He's a inflection point that has caused change to the organization and will be a force on the ice. One could not ask for more.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Some food for thought:

McDavid is entering the league right when it is shifting back to a speed game. Elite skaters have the advantage now.

Speed, agility, edge work - these are all qualities McDavid has in spades. He has generational agility.

His game is different enough from Crosby's that I would say you shouldn't directly compare the two to each other, and it will affect point production as well.

Crosby: ++Strength, +Shooting, +Hockey IQ

McDavid: +Speed, ++Agility, +Stickhandling

Everything else is a saw off. Still different enough though - Crosby's game isn't about deking and stick handling into traffic. It's about power, board work, and puck distribution combined with a deadly shot (including a severely underrated backhand).

McDavid is about edge work, speed through seams, puck movement on his own stick to deceive. He's among the most elusive of players, could rival Gretzky for that ability.

Just because Crosby isn't able to put up the same amount of points now as he used to it doesn't mean McDavid can't. It's a different game now than it was ten years ago.

I would say Mcdavid's hockey iq is a bit higher than Crosby watched every game this year, and one G.M pointed out that Mcdavid may have a higher ceiling because he conserves energy when he needs to unlike Crosby who is often on full throttle unnecessarily in circumstances.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
I'd expect him to have a better point total than Mackinnon had in his rookie season. The hype around this kid is on quite another level compared to the hype that surrounded Mackinnon in 2013.

So I'd expect more than 63 points. I hope he's in the 70-80's for you guys. I'm very interested to see how he affects Hall and Yakupov's play. I can't wait for next season !! I'll be watching the 1st Edmonton Oilers season game ;).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad