How many points could McDavid possibly score in a season?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
A big time producer on an actual cup contender is more impressive then a charity stat compiler on a weak team. That's my opinion...

It's a pretty poor opinion, because everyone knows being on a great team is independent of how one individual player plays.

Chicago won three Cups with Kane just caring only about his points.

They'd have probably won 4-5 if you replaced showtime with a better player like Mcdavid.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
As for generational, Savards first three years points totals dwarf McDavids, is he generational? McDavid hasn't even bested Rob Browns best single year point total. Gretzky was scoring 200 points a year. That's generational. McDavid isnt destroying the league by himself.

McDavid, in only his first 3 seasons, has bested both Howe and Richard’s best single year point totals.

Isn’t ignoring differences in eras fun?

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I'm guessing when he get top notch team mates (Taylor hall) along his line he would probably put up a lot of points, I'm guessing around 100-130 points.. He isn't much of a shooter but mostly close range shots, not much of a one timer shooter. So at least 30-50 goals at 70-99 assist but my calculation could be wrong lol
no hall likes the puck as much as mcdavid so it never worked .

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
A lot! When Puljujarvi breaks out and they get another top line winger to the puzzle, McDavid can surpass Crosby as the best player of regular and playoff seasons

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
he'll get injured game 3 this year having scored 9 points and everyone will call him a 250 point player. :/

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Haha nope no ninja edit or anything... you just read it wrong. Look at the earlier replies to my post to see what I said if you don’t believe me

IIRC, he was sick for about 15 games, which is “almost” a quarter of the season

I’m not the one overblowing the situation here.

I sincerely apologize. My bad.

Reports were he was sick for a period of 2-4 weeks, to me that's not a quarter of the season. But it's just semantics at this point, even the harshest critic would agree he'd have played better if he wasn't sick. By how much will be the debate.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
He can peak at 140 or so points if everything goes right and he gets significantly better support.

Well, he has 116 points in 77 games this season. That projects to 124 points in 82 games (if you round up). Elite players usually peak younger, but I don't think we've seen the best of him yet.

Scoring seems to be trending upward (especially among elite scorers) and Draisaitl took his offensive game to another level this season. 130 points from McDavid next season wouldn't be shocking if he plays every game.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Well, he has 116 points in 77 games this season. That projects to 124 points in 82 games (if you round up). Elite players usually peak younger, but I don't think we've seen the best of him yet.

Scoring seems to be trending upward (especially among elite scorers) and Draisaitl took his offensive game to another level this season. 130 points from McDavid next season wouldn't be shocking if he plays every game.
McDavid can keep putting up huge numbers for a very long time. His toolbox is incredible. As his speed starts to diminish, he will find other ways to score. I also agree that we haven't seen the best of him. I wouldn't be surprised to see 130 - 140 range in the next two years. I think Kucherov will continue being his main competition, again barring injury. They both have insane skills, worth ethic and IQ.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
McDavid can keep putting up huge numbers for a very long time. His toolbox is incredible. As his speed starts to diminish, he will find other ways to score. I also agree that we haven't seen the best of him. I wouldn't be surprised to see 130 - 140 range in the next two years. I think Kucherov will continue being his main competition, again barring injury. They both have insane skills, worth ethic and IQ.
I also think McDavid vs Kucherov will be rivals for years to come, Feeling Gretzky-Bossy vibes out of this (Comparible in that McDavid is the best player in the league and Kucherov is a superstar on a championship level team, not saying McDavid=Gretzky or Kucherov=Bossy)

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
If McDavid is not at his peak right now, then we’re probably close to the final product

I say he peaks around 130 points

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
With a competent team around him, good PP, and excellent puck moving D probably in the 140-150ish range.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
130+.

He's scoring at a 120 point pace this year on a bad team, put him on a better team and that bumping up to 130+ sounds about right. Maybe 140 if its one of those "everything goes right for you" type of year.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
He's already at a 120pt + pace. All he has to do is score 1 more point every 4 games to easily reach 140+ and I would think that would be very doable if Edmonton had better supporting cast. Connor is in on 51% of Edmontons goals. If the Oilers scored had 87 more goals (aka TB).....you don't think he'd factor in on 20% of those extra goals?

I think he will hit 140+ more than once over the next 5 years.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Before the season I predicted McDavid would finish with 117 points, hopefully he gets just one more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad