How many points could McDavid possibly score in a season?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I mean, we can only assume he has another level to reach since he is only 21, and when you consider he played with Lucic for much of this season and was also sick for a month, not to mention the horrible powerplay he was on and still managed 108. What will happen in a full season where everything goes right for him and maybe he also gets a bit lucky? Could he top 130 if scoring remains at a similar rate? I think so.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I think he could top out as a 50G and 80A for a 130 point guy in his pinnacle NHL season. Scoring has to stay up and maybe even go up a tick more and the PP for Edmonton has to get better but it can literally only go up from where it's at now.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There is a day in the future where you could imagine that he would score in that 130 range. We'd need Yamamoto or Puljujarvi to catch fire (very possible), and for Evan Bouchard to develop well (it's going to happen). That's the team that Chia is building towards now. So I do see McDavid and the Oilers taking a step forward next season, but next season won't be this team's peak, and McDavid will still be handicapped by it.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He can peak at 140 or so points if everything goes right and he gets signficantly better support.

That would be crazy but hard to imagine as well unless a drastic uptick in league scoring happens. What kind of G/A splits you think? 60 genos, 80 apples? 50 genos and 90 apples?

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
That would be crazy but hard to imagine as well unless a drastic uptick in league scoring happens. What kind of G/A splits you think? 60 genos, 80 apples? 50 genos and 90 apples?

It's optimistic.

But with a higher than expected on-ice shooting percentage (for him plus his teammates when he's on) and a whole bunch of PP secondary assists, I think he can possibly turn what would normally be a ~130 season into a ~140 point season. He would need better wingers than Milan f***ing Lucic and maybe a PP that goes to work frequently (top five or so in PPOs) and that is very effective. Having the League-wide scoring rate increase to more than 6.10 goals per game would help (it was 5.94 goals per game last season) .

The split would be something like 52/88 if he was score to 140 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
135 in a career year

but I'd love to see him put up some crazy number like 150pts

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
McDavid's goal totals will be his major gains. He was quite weak at goal scoring in his first two seasons, relying on pure skating to give himself unfair positioning, but last season and offseason he made an effort to be a better scorer and largely succeeded, although was dealing with several flus, as well as the Oilers' lack of support for him.

As of today, Chia has failed again to support McDavid properly, but I still see McDavid taking another step forward in goal scoring.

Reactions: KCC

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
I think his shot and assertiveness can get a lot better, a slightly more seasoned/experienced and much better shooter McDavid could realistically push 130+

Noldo

May 28, 2007
The funny thing about McDavid is that with him it is fairly simple to pinpoint how he could improve his output and we don’t need to rely generic “he is young so probably he will still improve from last year”.

If he can sustain similar ES production, even ordinary PP production for a player of his caliber would push him to 120 points range. Career year in goals, a pinch of luck and 140 points could be possible and 120-125 range hopefully norm.

McDavid’s skillset is perfect for scoring off the rush, more of an ES event than a PP event. However, he does think the game at sufficiently high level that he should be able to be effective also on PP and I am not ready to say that he is the reason why Oilers’ PP was abysmal.

But how McDavid worked on PP in Team Canada? That could give some insight on whether it is reasonable to expect him to double his PP points in the future.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
135 I could see if he’s with the right line mates and not with Lucic

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
He leaves 3-5 points on the table almost every game, sometimes he misses an easy chance, sometimes teammates can’t finish an easy chance. He’s better then his point totals suggest thus far.

Reactions: Draiskull

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
I think the last players to hit 130 were Lemieux and Jagr? It would be crazy for McDavid to score 130 points, let alone 140. In Edmonton. That would be Lemieux level.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
He leaves 3-5 points on the table almost every game, sometimes he misses an easy chance, sometimes teammates can’t finish an easy chance. He’s better then his point totals suggest thus far.

So you’re saying if it all went right he’s a 250 - 450 point guy.

Seems legit......

EDIT: My bad. My math was wrong. I forgot to add the points he does get. So he’s really a 350 - 550 point guy.
That’s way more credible.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad