How many points could McDavid possibly score in a season?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'll say 120 is his ceiling. 130 just seems like too many in this day and age. He would need all star linemates to hit that.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
If absolutely everything went right, I see potential for a 130 point season (Crosby was on pace for this in 10/11 until his injury).

But I realistically feel around 120 will be his career year (like Crosby).

Cotton

May 13, 2013
giphy.gif

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If edmonton can figure out how to surround mcdavid with sime good players i can see him hit 120 to 130 points.

Edmonton keeps putting their best players with him (first Draisaitl, then RNH), to the detriment to their overall depth. If anything, they need to improve the other lines so they'll stop being a one-line team.

Reactions: dukeofjive

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
So you basically confirmed what I said.

No scoring help= somebody has to score on bad teams. Which, if you think about it, makes his last "Hart" Ross look more like charity considering nobody took the Oilers seriously last year. The Oilers were also bad all year, so his ppg means nothing since once teams started the paddle effect on a bad team, giving mercy points to McDavid was just another way to send Oilers fans home happy.

As for generational, Savards first three years points totals dwarf McDavids, is he generational? McDavid hasn't even bested Rob Browns best single year point total. Gretzky was scoring 200 points a year. That's generational. McDavid isnt destroying the league by himself.

I refuse to water down a freely used term on these forums for the sake of trying to make players out to be something they are not.

And that's totally fine as your prerogative. But the rest of the users reserve the right to refuse to lend you credibility.

So he had no scoring help because the oilers were bad, but he wasn't destroying the league by himself? So who, on his bad team that wasn't doing anything, was helping him destroy the league? It's possible that you meant something else and English isn't your first language, but that's a fairly large contradiction.

Not sure why you bring savard up...The thing about Savard is that he quite clearly was not the best Canadien on the 93 cup winning team. Roy was, and it's not really close. Something Something more points though, right?

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
I think he'll score at a 115-120 pt rate for the next 5-6 years, assuming he remains healthy. Maybe one year if everything goes right, and he has a linemate that can finish all his chances, he could possibly reach 130-40 which would be legendary.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
What a terrible post :laugh:

Somebody has to score? No sorry that doesn’t make it any less impressive

He got 108 points with the worst power play in the league. Oh and he was sick as a dog for almost a quarter of the season

Now you’re just making shit up.

He did not play “all year” with the worst player in the league. Unless you think Drai is the worst player?

Also he was also not sick for a quarter of the season!

Why do you guys feel it’s necessary to always over blow the situation when it comes to McDavid.

If he doesn’t score as many as he should there are endless excuses. He’s good enough to not have to make shit up all the time.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Now you’re just making **** up.

He did not play “all year” with the worst player in the league. Unless you think Drai is the worst player?

Why do you guys feel it’s necessary to always over blow the situation when it comes to McDavid.

If he doesn’t score as many as he should there are endless excuses. He’s good enough to not have to make **** up all the time.

Yeah, his post reads "worst powerplay", not worst player. So, are you going to rethink telling him he's making shit up?

Solid overreaction though, 10/10

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

If he doesn’t score as many as he should there are endless excuses. He’s good enough to not have to make **** up all the time.
[mod] cause no where in his post does he say worst player, and he was sick for 2-4 weeks or so, not a quarter but quite a long time.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
i'd say 120-130 if everything goes perfectly. But every time I set a bar for McDavid he absolutely smashes it so yeah...

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Yeah, his post reads "worst powerplay", not worst player. So, are you going to rethink telling him he's making **** up?

Solid overreaction though, 10/10

I'm thinking a ninja edit took place.......

If that's not the case, I apologize, I haven't had my coffee yet and it was an early morning!

Either way my point stands.

McDavid doesn't need all the fake crap to make him out to be the best player, he is the best player. I don't get the "if he didn't play with Lucic, if he wasn't sick, if the power play was better, if he wasn't doing it alone, if, if, if.......

McDavid is good for 110 - 120 point just as he is. There is nothing wrong with that. It doesn't need to be exaggerated.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I'm thinking a ninja edit took place.......

If that's not the case, I apologize, I haven't had my coffee yet and it was an early morning!

Either way my point stands.

McDavid doesn't need all the fake crap to make him out to be the best player, he is the best player. I don't get the "if he didn't play with Lucic, if he wasn't sick, if the power play was better, if he wasn't doing it alone, if, if, if.......

McDavid is good for 110 - 120 point just as he is. There is nothing wrong with that. It doesn't need to be exaggerated.

I agree, but it is like that with all superstars. People wanna make their guy seem infalliable and omnipotent, so you get the:
If Crosby wasn't injured crowd
If Lunqvist/Price had real teams in front of them crowd
If Matthews didn't play with Hyman crowd
If Chiarelli didn't trade Hall crowd
If Ovechkin had teammates like Sid crowd
And so on...

I don't disagree with you and perhaps he did ninja edit. We did technically have the worst pp, but that was hopefully an extension of the pp coach who has been..."reassigned...". Time will tell and if the pp sucks again then it's probably more of an indictment on 97...if I'm being unbiased.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
I'm guessing when he get top notch team mates (Taylor hall) along his line he would probably put up a lot of points, I'm guessing around 100-130 points.. He isn't much of a shooter but mostly close range shots, not much of a one timer shooter. So at least 30-50 goals at 70-99 assist but my calculation could be wrong lol

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I agree, but it is like that with all superstars. People wanna make their guy seem infalliable and omnipotent, so you get the:
If Crosby wasn't injured crowd
If Lunqvist/Price had real teams in front of them crowd
If Matthews didn't play with Hyman crowd
If Chiarelli didn't trade Hall crowd
If Ovechkin had teammates like Sid crowd
And so on...

I don't disagree with you and perhaps he did ninja edit. We did technically have the worst pp, but that was hopefully an extension of the pp coach who has been..."reassigned...". Time will tell and if the pp sucks again then it's probably more of an indictment on 97...if I'm being unbiased.

Well said.....and I agree 100%.

I've just never understood it. I'd kill to have any one of those players on the Flames, any of them. And if we did, I'd be happy as a pig in shit and wouldn't feel the need to make them out to be something better than they are. Because at the end of the day, who they currently are, is pretty f***ing amazing hockey players.

I'll never get the "our best player is sooooooo much better than your best player". I think we have seen the gap between the best player and a good player diminish substantially over the last 5-10 years. No one can say "AINEC" anymore. All the great players are so close now. In any given year one can out perform the other. It's been that way for years. What McDavid brings to the party is consistency, you know exactly what he brings to the table. And that, I believe, is what makes him so special.

Can a Sid, Malkin, Kuch, Stamkos, etc., out score him this year, sure. But they are going to have to score 110+ to do it. Because you know McDavid, barring injury, is going to put up those numbers.

Will he put up 150? No, I don't think so. That's a huge number, huge. Does he have 120 in him, yeah, why not.

Reactions: North Cole

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013

Possibly gets hurt in camp and misses the year!

But really, I do think if he had the right players on his line he could hit 200 pts, seriously. The kid plays the game too well.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I think he will hit 125 at least once. If everything goes right, he is the player to hit 130 (+?). 55 goals and 75 assists is totally within reach for McDavid

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
A big time producer on an actual cup contender is more impressive then a charity stat compiler on a weak team. That's my opinion.

Worst power play? Name one generational talent that didn't produce an average power play?

Sick? Excuse. Jordan was sick and still produced in the finals, no less.

But....Jordan was generational...

Every single thing you've said in this thread from Denis Savard to produced while sick like Mike, can be debunked by 2 words: ERA ADJUST.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
A big time producer on an actual cup contender is more impressive then a charity stat compiler on a weak team. That's my opinion.

Worst power play? Name one generational talent that didn't produce an average power play?

Ovechkins caps were in the bottom 6 of the league in PP % in his first 2 years

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011

Haha nope no ninja edit or anything... you just read it wrong. Look at the earlier replies to my post to see what I said if you don’t believe me

IIRC, he was sick for about 15 games, which is “almost” a quarter of the season

I’m not the one overblowing the situation here.

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011

So what did you think of him when he put up 100 points as a 19/20 year old on a team that was one correct call away from the Conference Finals?

Like stated earlier, we are hoping that the power play improves next year now that Woodcroft has been demoted. Obviously McDavid will play a huge role in that.

Yes sick. He lost 5-10 pounds near the beggining of the year, that is no excuse. He was physically weaker. Also what does Jordan have to do with this?

If McDavid isn’t generational, then there are only a few generational players in NHL history, reserved for the likes of Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, etc... I know he is young and inexperienced but he is the most talented player I have ever watched live.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad