Speculation: How many players will the Leafs ship out at the deadline?

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I think 3 or 4 guys. Not expecting any of the guys with term or goalies dealt just 3-4 of the pending ufas. Short of a major injury Polak and Parenteau are gone for sure. Probably a 2nd or 3rd for each. We might find a taker for one or two of Grabner Spaling or Matthias especially if we take back a contract or retain salary. Not expecting more than a late round pick for any of those 3 though.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
To me, atleast 3 of our UFA's + 1 of our regulars will be gone. Who exactly from the regulars will be interesting to see.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Should be quite a few, I think. Despite how quiet it is and has been . . . I think it'll be a wave of movement, starting this week or next.

Right now, you have to look at how tight things are getting in the West especially, where it's not just about getting in the playoffs, but being able to compete with Chicago and LA. And I bet you anything LA gets someone too. On the Eastern side, there has been a shift in power, and what you have is some older powers like Pittsburgh, Detroit and the plummeting Montreal that are suddenly only on the cusp of being in the playoffs (obviously Montreal looks out of it now).

Especially on the defensive side, all those teams will look for a solid addition.
Nashville, Colorado, Minny, Detroit, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Boston, Dallas, the Isles, Rangers, and most likely even TB will be (or should be) active buyers. What are the common things they are all looking for?
1. Defensive depth.
2. Scoring depth.

So, of the expiring contracts?
Polak is a lock to go.
PAP is a lock to go.

Grabner SHOULD be a lock, he brings scoring depth and is a solid addition on the PK.
Matthias SHOULD be a lock, he's a big body who can shore up your 3rd or 4th line and not be an offensive drag.

So that's 4. Maybe only 3 of those 4 go, ok.

Then, there's Reimer . . . whew . . . I don't see how the Leafs would want to deal him, I think it should be a work in progress to sign him to an extension or new deal os something after this season so far - but who knows? There could be an offer too juicy to pass up. Unlikely for a goalie, but . . . it could happen.

For the other guys,
Bernier - is there a taker? If so, I think he's Ghandi like Mahatma.
Does a team like Detroit or Minny make a solid play for Phaneuf? If it gets us a 1st rounder, I bet we pull the trigger on it.
Lupul can score . . . for a team with enough room (or if the Leafs can take on a similar big contract) maybe he goes.
Boyes? Unlikely wanted, but who knows . . . for a 5th rounder, I bet he's gone too.
Bozak? That's a much bigger deal obviously, but perhaps.

So, of all those more remote possibilities . . . I'm thinking at least one or two of those guys.

I bet it's 6 or 7 players gone by the deadline.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Byfuglien signed. So does the price on trade-deadline defencemen go up?

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
I think around 4 or 5.
Locks: PAP, Polak
Likely: Grabner, Matthias, Boyes
Maybe: Reimer, Winnik, Marincin, Bozak, Komorov, Hunwick
Unlikely: Lupul, Phaneuf, Bernier

The 2 locks go, 2/3 likelys go, and maybe a bigger deal.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Leafs are notorious for not pulling the trigger when they should. This should be a good test to see if Shanahan is serious about restructuring the team. I figure they'll unload too but if Shanny is serious, than anyone who will be of no use in 4 or 5 years should be dealt for the future. Now is the time to go back to the future.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Byfuglien signed. So does the price on trade-deadline defencemen go up?

Absolutely. Big Buff would have been D-man #1 on anyone's list of availables.

Phaneuf is the interesting one for me. It would seem at first glance that with his contract, it's gotta be a summer deal . . . but if the right offer comes in . . . I think he's gone in 60 seconds. Here's hoping for a 1st rounder + nothing retained (probably means taking back something unwanted in return, but that's a given if not retaining).

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I think around 4 or 5.
Locks: PAP, Polak
Likely: Grabner, Matthias, Boyes not sure about Boyes
Maybe: Reimer, Winnik, Marincin who would want him?, Bozak, Komorov, Hunwick
Unlikely: Lupul, Phaneuf, Bernier

The 2 locks go, 2/3 likelys go, and maybe a bigger deal.

I agree with most of what you've said. Bozak and Phaneuf are my two wild cards. I think they might be involved in package deals with balancing contracts coming back along with picks or young talent. Now that Buff has signed with the Peg, I think that improves the market for Dion and Bozak, depending on concussion concerns, is a proven commodity which surely has some teams interested. I voted 4+ and believe we might trade as low as 3 but suspect that there will be at least 1 2fer trade and perhaps 2 of them.

Leafsbeast*

This waiting is driving me nuts!!

....and trust me, I have been waiting longer than most here!

Everyday I come here hoping to see "Confirmed with link"

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Ok, I said the market had improved for Dion and there was a chance for a 2fer trade...but 9?!

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
PAP/Polak/Mattias to me are locks. Grabs is gone if we can get a proper deal, might need to retain 50%. Reimer should get a 2nd and 4th or something like that but we might not try to trade him. Don't think Spaling is traded, and Boyes is most likely waived to the ahl after the deadline or kept in the box. Hope we can trade a either bozak(if good offer is there) or find a way to trade Lupul.

Well that retention is way more likely now that we moved Phaneuf without having to keep any salary back.

But, to your other point, why would Boyes have a harder time finding a roster spot after we ship out other forwards? He could be on our top line whenandif Parenteau/Grabner/Matthias/Michalek are traded.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
UFAs that should definitely be moved: Boyes, Parenteau, Polak.

UFAs that should maybe be moved (27-28 olds): Grabner, Matthias, Spaling, Arcobello, Reimer.

Other options if the right offer comes (no need to hurry yet): Lupul, Komarov, Michalek, Winnik, Hunwick.

Last edited:

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
UPDATE: 4 roster players gone

Other potential roster players that could be dealt before deadline:
PA Parenteau
Grabner
Boyes
Arcobello
Lupul
Bozak