Speculation: How many players will the Leafs ship out at the deadline?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Just trying to get a feel from our fanbase here how many players they think are going to get traded by the deadline.

Personally, I think the vast majority of this roster is garbage but there are some fairly useful pieces that teams will value.

At a time where this organization has a lot of ground to make up against the rest of the league through drafting and development, how many of this year's Leafs are on borrowed time?

My guess is three.

What's yours?

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Just trying to get a feel from our fanbase here how many players are going to get traded by the deadline.

Personally, I think the vast majority of this roster is garbage but there are some fairly useful pieces that teams will value.

At a time where this organization has a lot of ground to make up against the rest of the league through drafting and development, how many of this year's Leafs are on borrowed time?

My guess is three.

What's yours?
I think 3 sounds about right. Polak,Parenteau and maybe Reimer. Everything else is pure trash that nobody would want.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Just trying to get a feel from our fanbase here how many players are going to get traded by the deadline.

My guess is three.

What's yours?

It's which ones that are more important than how many.
Spaling,Boyes,Grabner,Lupul,Matthias really don't make much of a difference.
Bozak however would be huge. Then Polak and PA.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I voted for 3, however I hope it's at least 4 or more.

That's how I feel too.

The more draft picks we get, the better.

There's no time like the present to cash in on players that have no future with the Leafs... which by my estimation only excludes two, maybe three roster players.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That's how I feel too.

The more draft picks we get, the better.

There's no time like the present to cash in on players that have no future with team... which by my estimation only amounts to two, maybe three players on the roster.
It was said tonight that the Leafs have 11 draft picks going into the 2016 draft, so I'm sure that number will go up. The question is how much will it go up?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
After losing so badly to the Senaturds, I voted 4+.

I would not shed a tear if everyone with the exception of Rielly were sent packing.

Sorry, it's just my anger driving my thoughts at the moment.

All I want is for the Leafs to beat the Habs and the Senaturds, and, lose to everyone else! It seems that is too much to ask of Babcock, and his loser players!

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Voted 3: Parenteau, Polak and Matthias. I'm not sure how teams will incorporate them into their rosters but Parenteau is a good PP option, Polak plays that "steady" defense and Matthias can forecheck and skate. They're NHL players, not necessarily great players, but they might find themselves into a lineup.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Voted for 4+.

PAPolak are 100% gone. That's 2. Between Reimer/Bernier, Boyes, Matthias, Spaling, Grabner, Marincin, and potentially Winnik and/or Komarov, I'm sure we'll be able to move two more guys.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
any of polak, pa, boyes, matthias, spaling, and grabner can be had for anything i dont care, even winnik for a decent return

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
It was said tonight that the Leafs have 11 draft picks going into the 2016 draft, so I'm sure that number will go up. The question is how much will it go up?

Another reason why I hope to trade up. If we have upwards of 15 picks, even trading up would still leave us with double digits. Yes I know we want the most tickets in the lottery, but again only so many contract slots. We pick 15 times and in 2 years we make another Grabner trade.

That trade looks inconsequential and will likely stay that way, but you are asking for the risk of giving up on a good prospect that will turn out, because he wasn't ripe yet, but there was no room for him. Don't take it as I don't want the team to have picks, but quality is better than quantity. I know the Biggs trade scares people off, but this is a different regime. And I'm not advocating trading from 30 for 22, I'm talking about 17 to 9 or something.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Hoping for two or three depending on the return but anymore than that will put too many kids in positions they might not be ready for...

KLM-Line

May 8, 2007
Munich
Minimum should be two. Market might be tougher than some fans suspect but Leafs should still be able to get rid of a couple of guys even if it only amounts to a mediocre return (mid round picks) ... you can still use those to move up in the draft if need be.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto

Nope, we have 10 at best - if Pittsburgh makes the playoffs, we get their 1st, but they get their 2nd back. So it's basically moving up in the draft by 30 spots.

Best guess, I think we get an additional 2 picks. One player will be dealt for a prospect, while the other 2 will be for picks.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Yes.

Cheap goal scorers and depth stay at home defenseman have been mainstays of the trade deadline since the invention of the trade deadline

Truer words never spoken.

Which is why I think we may even find takers for the likes of a Brad Boyes. I'm a bit sad he didn't have a great season, but any guy who scored 43 and 39 goals in a season, and is under 35, has some degree of value. With his low cap hit, almost a certainty (but not quite certain), someone will take a flyer on him close to 3pm that day. Even if it's for a late rounder.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I would guess at 4 myself...PAP and Polak are as good as gone. I expect us to deal a goaltender if there are any takers. Matthias is a big body who can score (even if he has not done much of that with the Leafs) and these guys always seem to be on demand for teams looking at a long grinding playoffs. A couple of other guys on the roster may interest someone but we should not expect a great haul this season.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I would say 5 PAP/Polak will go for decent returns I expect Grabner/Spaling/Mathias to go for basically nothing 5-6 round picks ala Jokinen last year. I think they'll keep Reimer not that I would be happy with that but I think they'll keep him.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
PAP/Polak/Mattias to me are locks. Grabs is gone if we can get a proper deal, might need to retain 50%. Reimer should get a 2nd and 4th or something like that but we might not try to trade him. Don't think Spaling is traded, and Boyes is most likely waived to the ahl after the deadline or kept in the box. Hope we can trade a either bozak(if good offer is there) or find a way to trade Lupul.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad