Speculation: How many players will the Leafs ship out at the deadline?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I think we'll move at least 4. PAP and Polak should be gone pretty quickly, and there is enough value in the other rentals + Reimer that we should see a few more trades. I dont really see Boyes getting moved, but we managed to trade Jokinen last year, so who knows.

The dream is trading PAP, Polak, and Reimer each for a 2nd.

Mad Brills*

PAP, polak and matthias are locks. Grabner if they retain or take back an expiring deal makes sense, and maybe bozak as the biggest piece.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
They want to ship out more than 3 but it'll be difficult to accomplish. Parenteau, Polak and ????? Spaling and Boyes have negative value. There are cheaper options for teams if they're considering a vanilla player like Grabner and Matthias.

They may want to keep Reimer. It's possible that one of the RFAs (Kadri or Holland) or one of the vets with more years on their deals (Gardiner, Bozak, Winnik, Hunwick, Komarov) are traded. These guys have more value than the impending UFAs. Personally I'd move Holland, Winnik or Hunwick in a heartbeat. Holland and his annual disappearing act has worn out its welcome. Despite laudable effort Winnik looks to be on his last legs. Hunwick ain't that good, he's a placeholder, if a team wants to pay for him then by all means take it.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
They want to ship out more than 3 but it'll be difficult to accomplish. Parenteau, Polak and ????? Spaling and Boyes have negative value. There are cheaper options for teams if they're considering a vanilla player like Grabner and Matthias.

They may want to keep Reimer. It's possible that one of the RFAs (Kadri or Holland) or one of the vets with more years on their deals (Gardiner, Bozak, Winnik, Hunwick, Komarov) are traded. These guys have more value than the impending UFAs. Personally I'd move Holland, Winnik or Hunwick in a heartbeat. Holland and his annual disappearing act has worn out its welcome. Despite laudable effort Winnik looks to be on his last legs. Hunwick ain't that good, he's a placeholder, if a team wants to pay for him then by all means take it.

I've been saying trade Bozak for sometime now.
Look at the standings. We've been given a real opportunity here to maximize our odds. To fall in the standings regardless of how hard we work.
We don't need Bozak winning faceoffs and creating match ups.
It's time to deal him along with PA and Polak. Replace with Arcobello and Clune if you like.
Best odds to win the lottery. Next year we can sign a player like Backes and promote Nylander. But this year, best chance for Matthews.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
There's gotta be a couple solid playoff teams with bad pk's that are interested in Grabner...Does anyone think Hunwick could go?

Mad Brills*

Look at the standings. We've been given a real opportunity here to maximize our odds. To fall in the standings regardless of how hard we work.
It's time to deal him along with PA and Polak. Replace with Arcobello and Clune if you like.
Best odds to win the lottery. Next year we can sign a player like Backes and promote Nylander. But this year, best chance for Matthews.

bozak's the highest salary player with a decent chance to be gone at the deadline. Notice how there's nothing in the rumour mill about lupul or dion?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
bozak's the highest salary player with a decent chance to be gone at the deadline. Notice how there's nothing in the rumour mill about lupul or dion?

I think Babcock likes Phaneuf so I never thought he was on the block. As for Lupul, yeah doubt we could give him away.
As I said, if you pool the guys you are keeping, Kadri/Rielly/JVR/Komarov, then Bozak leaving temporarily hurts us the most.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Bozak's value may be at its maximum right now. He has put up more points than most would have guessed he could without Kessel. Did he get seriously concussed last night? It was that deceiving type of glancing blow to the head that we've seen take down players for extended periods of time.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I'd say 3 or 4, with the only "for sure" assets being Polak and Pap. Outliers are Bozak, Reimer, Grabner and Mathias.

If I'm the Leafs, I'm aggressively shopping Reimer regardless of their feelings about signing him. Let him have a shot at playing some meaningful hockey, net us a 2nd or 3rd or whatever, and open up talking in the summer again if he actually wants to be back. Maybe the remaining games can help Bernier figure his game out, and we could find a team willing to take a shot in the summer (wishing thinking?).

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I'm kind of expecting people to be disappointed with the trade deadline. In the amount of players leaving and the return.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Last year 1.6% of the 2 billion in salaries was traded. 34 million. Yawn.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Polak, Parenteau and Reimer are our most move able rentals. High values for those three is 2nd's each, low value is 3rd or 4th+. Matthias could be move able, but has been rather underwhelming. 3rd for him MAX. Spaling and Boyes are moveable for late round picks, but there's not much point. Grabner isn't moveable unless we retain. I'd say 3-4 deals happen, some multi player.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
As many upcoming UFA's as they can.

I'm predicting Polak, PAP, Matthias, Grabner and Marincin.

They should come away with 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 7th.

I'm sure the Leafs will also take back other teams trash to even out the cap and be place setters so the kids don't have to be called up from the Marlies.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Hunter et al are so confident they can find draft gems, they will part with anyone for draft picks, even 3rd and 4th rounders.

Polak, Parenteau, Boyes, Grabner, all will be gone for whatever Lou can get for them. Bernier will also be gone, I think.

Interesting times........

BB

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I'd love to see 4+, but deals are too tough to do more than 1 or 2.

I think the Leafs are in a unique position with so many pending UFA's on cheap contracts. They also have cap space to take on unwanted players from other teams to make the $$ work. I think many people will be surprised how many players Lou will be able to ship out.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
If the Leafs are willing to part with guys like Matthias and Boyes for 6th-7th rounders, I can't see why it would only be 2. Grabner is easily worth a 4th for his PK ability. If you're not going to re-sign him, just take a 5th or 6th and move on. Coming out with only 2 picks this deadline would actually be a pretty huge failure on management's part. If PAP and Polak are sure things like everyone says, what's the point of having a guy like Lou Lam if you can't get a few 6&7s out of veteran 20-goal scorers?

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Trade:

James Reimer
Roman Polak
Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau
Brad Boyes

Receive:

2nd Round Pick (Reimer)
2nd Round Pick (Polak)
3rd Round Pick (Parenteau)
4th Round Pick (Polak)
5th Round Pick (Reimer)
7th Round Pick (Boyes)

Going into the draft:

1st Rounder
1st Rounder (PIT)
2nd Rounder
2nd Rounder (Reimer)
2nd Rounder (Polak)
3rd Rounder
3rd Rounder (NJ)
3rd Rounder (Parenteau)
4th Rounder
4th Rounder (Polak)
5th Rounder
5th Rounder (ANA)
5th Rounder (Reimer)
6th Rounder
6th Rounder (STL)
7th Rounder
7th Rounder (Boyes)

Last edited:

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
I think we'll see PAP, Polak, Matthias, Boyes and Bozak shipped out. Perhaps Reimer as well. Hell, there's even an outside chance that Phaneuf gets moved, as there seems to be growing interest in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad