How many pieces away are we?

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Dion would be on the same pairing on a cup team. Every time i see that stupid statement, no one ever has any type of evidence to back up there claim. On the flip side, numerous people can show using real statistics that Dion is among the best in the league and he proves it night after night. The "Dion makes to many dumb plays" nonsensical argument is getting old folks.
""[/QUOTE... Being a 3-4 guy in the NHL is hardly a slap in the face. He has his attributes and he has his faults. He will be a top pair defenceman with us because he is the best we have at the moment.That doesn't make him a top two on a contending team...in my opinion.

TML 13

Oct 19, 2013
Some of these posts in this thread are a complete joke. Burke destroyed this team??? He made bad moves and good moves. Ultimately the good outweighs the bad. His biggest mistake was taking too long to fire Wilson. This is absolutely Burke's team. And it's a good team

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Dion would be on the same pairing on a cup team. Every time i see that stupid statement, no one ever has any type of evidence to back up there claim. On the flip side, numerous people can show using real statistics that Dion is among the best in the league and he proves it night after night. The "Dion makes to many dumb plays" nonsensical argument is getting old folks.
""

The only stat I keep seeing is mins played and even then his supporters keep saying he plays better the less mins he plays .

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Some of these posts in this thread are a complete joke. Burke destroyed this team??? He made bad moves and good moves. Ultimately the good outweighs the bad. His biggest mistake was taking too long to fire Wilson. This is absolutely Burke's team. And it's a good team

Why don't you take a look at the roster he left behind and compare it to the one we have now .

Burke's team was soft and without Reims wouldn't have had a goalie .

Tyler Biggs*

1st line centre and a real 1st line defense partner to play with Phaneuf.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Burke destroyed?

He made some mistakes for sure, but his handprint is on this team. It will now be competitive for a decade. No,you say? Kadri,Gardiner,Kessel,Reimer,Reilly,JVR,Franson will all be around(in the NHL) a long time and are quality players. Our defense is completely rebuilt but we can't fit a star center under the cap, making us considered a non contender along with a suspect defense built around Phaneuff.

We need a star center(impossible,no cap room) and a number 2 vet dman. Burke made this team competitive in 5 years, he just used a strange model. Destroyed isn't true, he simply was never offered a Crosby or a Pronger. Nonnis must now do the seemingly impossible, upgrade 2 very important spots with no money $$$$$.

Mapleleafs Fan*

I see the quality in Kadri to become our top line center. I don't know why we are looking for one out side! Just promote Kadri and demote Bozak it's all perfect. We just have to trade Gunnarson to clear the cap space and bring in the top line D man.

We can talk to MTL for Galchenyuk or Eller and give them what they need, 2nd line D Gunnarson/Gardiner (if they don't want Gunnarson) and a 1st pick.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
He made some mistakes for sure, but his handprint is on this team. It will now be competitive for a decade. No,you say? Kadri,Gardiner,Kessel,Reimer,Reilly,JVR,Franson will all be around(in the NHL) a long time and are quality players. Our defense is completely rebuilt but we can't fit a star center under the cap, making us considered a non contender along with a suspect defense built around Phaneuff.

We need a star center(impossible,no cap room) and a number 2 vet dman. Burke made this team competitive in 5 years, he just used a strange model. Destroyed isn't true, he simply was never offered a Crosby or a Pronger. Nonnis must now do the seemingly impossible, upgrade 2 very important spots with no money $$$$$.

It wasn't a strange model. For the most part it was called "throwing feces at a wall and seeing what sticks". Praising him for his mediocre results with the financial resources he had at his disposal seems a little excessive. If he was half the GM some around these parts believe him to be, he would have never been fired in the first place.

mikebel111*

I see the quality in Kadri to become our top line center. I don't know why we are looking for one out side! Just promote Kadri and demote Bozak it's all perfect. We just have to trade Gunnarson to clear the cap space and bring in the top line D man.

We can talk to MTL for Galchenyuk or Eller and give them what they need, 2nd line D Gunnarson/Gardiner (if they don't want Gunnarson) and a 1st pick.

first u say kadri should be # 1 C, than u say we should talk to habs for gally?

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Might not help right now,but this team should do anything it takes to draft Conner McDavid in 2015.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Considering that we just got an up-close look at a real contender, it would seem that we're still quite far away. We're missing pieces but one of those might be the coach. The team looks lost out there, Carlyle has yet to show any kind of coherent strategy, nor has he gotten consistent effort out of his players. It has in fact been long enough to stop making excuses for him.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Considering that we just got an up-close look at a real contender, it would seem that we're still quite far away. We're missing pieces but one of those might be the coach. The team looks lost out there, Carlyle has yet to show any kind of coherent strategy, nor has he gotten consistent effort out of his players. It has in fact been long enough to stop making excuses for him.

Short memory,hasn't Carlyle coached less than a full season with this team?Seems about 75 games to me.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Short memory,hasn't Carlyle coached less than a full season with this team?Seems about 75 games to me.

Exactly 82 games now if you include the playoffs. To be fair the first 18 games at the end of the first season Carlyle said he'd be using to evaluate players and apparently did little or no actual coaching. I'm not sure if that's a good excuse or just really stupid not to use that time, I suppose that would depend on who you ask.

hockeyfanz*

Yet here we sit a couple of pieces away from contending (your words) while still being the youngest team, and Burke is disgraceful. :handclap:

Gimme a break...only because of what Nonis has brought in the short time he was here...the team is still far away..two pieces yeah..a Top C and and a Top D.....no problem. Nonis beefed up the team with character guys like Bolland and Clarkson...moved out a lot of Burkes trash...and added a stud goalie and STILL the team is 2 pieces away.....(very important pieces)...You Burke guys are quite amusing. I would hazard to say that when this team is a serious Cup contender, Burke's imprint will be as big as JFJ's was when Burke got his a$$ canned.

Mapleleafs Fan*

My major question will be why aren't we producing stars? When we have players potentially to become a star? Just because of the lack of trust in their ability. Why aren't we giving a chance to Kadri and make him a trading chip? Why aren't we playing Gardiner at 1st line D?

It's just so ******* frustrating to see others having good players to trade and when comes to Toronto no one is that important to anyone.?!!

philozak

Oct 21, 2013
Ridgeway,Ontario
in my mind, were contenders already. If it wasnt for horrendous goaltending in the last game against Boston we couldve been there in the final instead of them. I know all the Reimer backers will be all over me but HE lost that game for them single handlily. Did he win a few games for us? yes, but thats no good if u put on a performance like he did in the last 12 mins of a game 7. And it was a huge reason they went after Bernier. Reimers problem is he can look spectactular 1 minute and atrocious the next. Theres no consistancy within the game. Is he a good goalie? yes but hes got to figure out that part of his game amongst other big flaws in his game.
That being said, this year were deeper upfront with the additions of Clarkson,Bolland and Raymond and better in net because of Bernier. Nonis addressed some serious issues.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

What do you mean by "competitive for a decade"?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

One could argue, he was offered a Seguin and Hamilton,if he had only shown a bit more patience,no?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

As I pointed out in another thread, huge difference between the teams when it's 5/5 play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad