How many pieces away are we?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I know we're not standout cup contenders yet, but I also think we're headed in the right direction. With that said, how many pieces away are we, and what is the best way to get those pieces (i.e. draft/develop, trade, free agency)?

Right now most fans would agree we need a number 1 or 2 center, preferably one who is good on both ends of the ice and in the faceoff circle. A top 4 right handed defenseman who can hopefully pair with Dion, play a mistake-free game, preferably physical.

In the system
Frederik Gauthier
Carter Verhaeghe

Petter Granberg

Draft
Sam Reinhart
Sam Bennett
Jared McCann
Leon Draisaitl
Michael Dal Colle

Aaron Ekblad
Roland McKeown

Free Agents
Joe Thornton
Henrik Sedin
Paul Stastny
Patrick Marleau
Alex Steen

Dan Girardi
Stephane Robidas
Brooks Orpik
Matt Greene
Matt Niskanen
Mark Fayne

Trades
Ryan O'Reilly
Sean Couturier
Patrick Berglund
Charlie Coyle
Joe Pavelski
Josh Bailey
Brad Richards
Antoine Vermette
Derick Brassard

Kevin Shattenkirk
Erik Johnson
Zbynek Michalek
Chris Tanev
John Carlson
Adam Larsson
Roman Polak
Michael Stone
Justin Faulk
Marc Staal

That's all I could think of off the top. Feel free to add names to the list of potential targets.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
I think were close now just by maturing the team and adding a top 4 Defensive D who is big and can log minutes..

No doubt we can score and have lots of firepower...could a #1C help, of course but not at the expense of creating a big hole in another location..

Next FA there is a chance to add that top 4 D at no cost...

We should keep the picks we have and maybe even add by dealing Reimer when the time comes so that the pipeline is always looking good for a long time..

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I think were close now just by maturing the team and adding a top 4 Defensive D who is big and can log minutes..

No doubt we can score and have lots of firepower...could a #1C help, of course but not at the expense of creating a big hole in another location..

Next FA there is a chance to add that top 4 D at no cost...

We should keep the picks we have and maybe even add by dealing Reimer when the time comes so that the pipeline is always looking good for a long time..

I agree with this. Some organic growth from either Kadri or Bozak could go a long way. Matt Greene or Dan Girardi could be nice pickups in the off season, although I am a little weary of adding defensive d via free agency after Komisarek. I guess it depends on the term and dollar figure.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Forget about the draft guys, And the free agents as well. Too many variables in those two pools.

Trade is most likely route to improve the team, You've mentioned some names, But we really have no clue who's available and for what.

The two needs IMO are another skilled centre, Preferably 6'2+. Then a defensive/shutdown defenseman who ideally is right handed.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Assets to deal

Reimer
Near prospect
current D

The D would be the key component if the player we wanted was good..

I think having a minute eating big top 4 d we would make a big leap forward and be in contention once everyone is back and used to each other

We have a playoff roster now

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
JVR Thornton Kessel
Lupul Kadri Clarkson
Kulemin Bozak Bolland
McClaren McClement Orr

Phaneuf Girardi
Rielly Franson
Fraser Gardiner

Bernier
Reimer

I don't know if the above team could fit under the cap, would depend on how much Jumbo Joe and Girardi would sign for, and how much Kulemin, Bolland and McClement could be signed for, but I think that line up would be really fun to watch.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
I think were very close...just patience and adding at the very most 2 players over next 2 years

Ideally we need a good run this year into playoffs to build character and then the following year with added players might be the year to make it to the finals

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
JVR Thornton Kessel
Lupul Kadri Clarkson
Kulemin Bozak Bolland
McClaren McClement Orr

Phaneuf Girardi
Rielly Franson
Fraser Gardiner

Bernier
Reimer

I don't know if the above team could fit under the cap, would depend on how much Jumbo Joe and Girardi would sign for, and how much Kulemin, Bolland and McClement could be signed for, but I think that line up would be really fun to watch.

Very doubtful.

Thornton is at least $7m and Girardi around $5m. Then you've got Bolland, Kulemin, Franson and Gardiner re-signed. Which just ball parking it, Would cost about $15M.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
A Dan Girardi type dman, and an upgrade on Tyler Bozak. Plus some development from Gardiner, Rielly, Kadri and some other youngsters.

unitedstars

Feb 15, 2013
I haven't seen Robidas play for a few years. He was pretty solid for the Stars when I did see him. How is he playing, I know he's getting up there in age.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Can someone explain why we need a 1st line centre? We can score goals with the best of them. For defense, we got Bolland and McClement. Don't really see why we need one.

I think we should just wait for Percy, Macwilliam, or Finn to develop into a top 4 defensive role.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Upgrade on Bozak while getting rid of Bozak would be ideal.

Plus a #2. Seidenberg type.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
The Leafs really don't need more pieces just patience from management with the young guys growing at the NHL level and keeping a keen eye on the goaltending making sure it's stays top notch.

4 pieces the team has have the talent to push this team to contender status if all others stay the same. Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly and Bernier. Those are the pieces we're waiting for to take that next step. Patience might just be the only thing this team needs;)

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The guy I think we should be targeting is Kevin Klein. This guy is a defensive stud and he's a right handed shot... he's 28 years old and signed at a longterm cap friendly contract... He would really add some stability to our back end IMO.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Our main weakness has remained the same over last few years.

A true #1 center
A shutdown 1st pairing defenseman.
Goaltender (just needs to be proven, Bernier very well could be this guy. But only time will tell).

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
The guy I think we should be targeting is Kevin Klein. This guy is a defensive stud and he's a right handed shot... he's 28 years old and signed at a longterm cap friendly contract... He would really add some stability to our back end IMO.

Loved him in A Fish Called Wanda.;)

MV5BNzc2NjgzMDI4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjg3NzYzNA@@._V1._SX640_SY960_.jpg

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Can someone explain why we need a 1st line centre? We can score goals with the best of them. For defense, we got Bolland and McClement. Don't really see why we need one.

I think we should just wait for Percy, Macwilliam, or Finn to develop into a top 4 defensive role.

I agree I think it's a luxury at this point... I also think Kadri is capable of 70 point production possibly early as this season. With our wing depth I don't think it's an issue at all... A lot of teams have a good first line C but don't have a first line winger... Is it ideal? No but it's working.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

it's because everyone keeps saying that we (and like 15+ other teams) need one. Problem is most teams aren't going to just give one up via trade. you have to draft them and hope for the best (or hope for a stupid gm to make a awesome move for you).

i think in our case it's not as much as a "need" as more as a 'great desire." most of this stems from most people loathing bozak on the 1st line. I'm pretty sure if a trade's there (he's got a limited NTC i do believe - yeup - modified no trade), Nonis makes it to upgrade. I truly believe if we had a stronger defenseman back there NOW - we do a Carolina/Tampa Cup Win or a Carolina/Ducks Finals appearance.

all we really need is some luck on our side, and great tending imo.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
Kadri may be the number one center and bozak would be a good second line center. And percy could become a great pairing to phaneuf... wait and see how this year goes, next off season will be telling.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I think we are a top 6 centre away from being a very feared team, I think this current team can go far,

hockeyfanz*

Forget about the draft guys, And the free agents as well. Too many variables in those two pools.

Trade is most likely route to improve the team, You've mentioned some names, But we really have no clue who's available and for what.

The two needs IMO are another skilled centre, Preferably 6'2+. Then a defensive/shutdown defenseman who ideally is right handed.

+1 My answer too... I actually think the Leafs are two players away as suggested here....those pieces are the ones I choose too. I think Nonis and company are smart enough to pull it off. Nonis has added the right pieces since being in charge, so I have faith that he will continue to improve the team. I believe the Leafs are a playoff team as it stands and a team that can make some noise in the post-season. Adding these two pieces mentioned above would make the Leafs a true contender to represent the East in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad