How many pieces away are we?

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
In your opinion, is the leafs core good enough to win the cup?

Obviously not this year, but in the future.

It looks like our current core players will be locks for the next couple years at least. We won't obtain any big free agents (no capspace) or any top picks (not bad enough).

With the growth of some of our younger potential core players (Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner), or possibly trade of our core players for other core players, do you think the current leafs core will ever be good enough to win it all?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I'm of the opinion that unlike 5 years ago, if we decide to go off another cliff this year, there is actually something to build around. Like if we need to do a quick retool out of nowhere (I hope it doesn't happen), I'm of the opinion that:

Kessel - signed for 8 years
JVR - signed for 4 more years at a great number
Kadri - skilled and controllable in his rfa years
Rielly - top D prospect
One of the goalies - preferable for me, Bernier

That this is a great core to build around. Yes you are also stuck with Clarkson for example.

I know this isn't really answering the question, but I feel if you surround the above players with the right mix, yes they can win.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
For me, because of the way we rebuild I don't think this is the type of team that is going to be cup favourites at any point, but it can be good enough to be a middling team that if it got hot goaltending might make a deep playoff run. Kind of like Calgary in the mid 00s.

This team is that good on paper. They consistently get outplayed however and I think it's the defensive system. They need a more offensive system. This top 6 is too talented, and our defense too mobile to play the way we do.

Murphy Blue

Live blue
Nov 12, 2008
Newfoundland
I would say yes. I think that the core players, the ones that have already been outlined, are elite players. It is however equally difficult to provide a team with the proper supporting cast, which seems to be the major issue right now.

I don't know about anyone else but I have a theory that Phaneuf is gone at the deadline. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think something may be wrong in la-la land for the big C.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's a respectable core, but I do wonder if Kessel is the suitable cornerstone. There's always room for him on the Leafs, but it does seem like you need that guy who slots in right ahead of him and can provide more of a steadying leadership factor like a Toews or Bergeron when the going gets tough.

Lupul provides very brief flashes of being that guy who can pick up the team by its bootstraps but ultimately, I think he's too banged up and not a part of this team long term.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
What is the Leafs core? IF we get Phaneuf signed to a longterm contract it would be Phaneuf, Kessel, Bozak, Lupul, JVR, Clarkson paid for through to 2018.

That's four really good players on reasonable (Kessel, presumably Phaneuf) to extremely good (Lupul, JVR) contracts, and two mediocre players who are both significantly overpaid. And zero good centres.

I'm going to say no.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Clarkson isn't part of the core, he just got a fat payday. I hope they can move this guy at some point in the next seven years.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
I honestly believe that the Leafs have to get rid of some dead weight. Franson a RD is not needed he doesn't play hard enough IMO, for his size he should be destroying anyone who enters the slot. He makes poor decisions and forces passes at the worst times. Fraser and Ranger are nothing more than depth and should be sat or playing with the Marlies. Liles should be traded for Gleason cause what the Leafs need is that grittiness and toughness to play alongside Rielly and Gardiner. Kulikov would be a nice addition, he plays hard nosed defense with some offensive abilities and a great shot from the point which would replace Fransons shot from there. I don't know what has happened this year but it seems that the Leafs are backing off from the hitting and power game that they showed last year. Kulemin is a UFA and not scoring but has played good defensive hockey needs a new home. I think we need that Komarov, Clark, Tucker player to spark things, Clarkson isn't showing that for some reason and if he we had a player like Gallagher or Ott type player, we would see Clarkson feed off that.
I do not want to see Smithson out there anymore cause he is another Steckel (useless except for F/O) why Holland isn't playing is beyond me. I don't get why Carlyle sits Holland and plays crappy players like Smithson.
Trades need to happen and sitting on some of these guys waiting isn't the answer.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Clarkson isn't part of the core, he just got a fat payday. I hope they can move this guy at some point in the next seven years.

Good luck unloading that contract for a guy who might score 30 points. They signed him longterm for a lot of money, he's part of the core whether we like it or not.

KessMeRandy

Nov 25, 2013
I honestly believe that the Leafs have to get rid of some dead weight. Franson a RD is not needed he doesn't play hard enough IMO, for his size he should be destroying anyone who enters the slot. He makes poor decisions and forces passes at the worst times. Fraser and Ranger are nothing more than depth and should be sat or playing with the Marlies. Liles should be traded for Gleason cause what the Leafs need is that grittiness and toughness to play alongside Rielly and Gardiner. Kulikov would be a nice addition, he plays hard nosed defense with some offensive abilities and a great shot from the point which would replace Fransons shot from there. I don't know what has happened this year but it seems that the Leafs are backing off from the hitting and power game that they showed last year. Kulemin is a UFA and not scoring but has played good defensive hockey needs a new home. I think we need that Komarov, Clark, Tucker player to spark things, Clarkson isn't showing that for some reason and if he we had a player like Gallagher or Ott type player, we would see Clarkson feed off that.
I do not want to see Smithson out there anymore cause he is another Steckel (useless except for F/O) why Holland isn't playing is beyond me. I don't get why Carlyle sits Holland and plays crappy players like Smithson.
Trades need to happen and sitting on some of these guys waiting isn't the answer.

this whole paragraph loses its value in opening talking about how Franson isn't a valuable piece. He's right handed. Right handed defense are hard to come. He puts up points. He's a good third pairing guy. He's a nice piece to have, end of discussion.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
this whole paragraph loses its value in opening talking about how Franson isn't a valuable piece. He's right handed. Right handed defense are hard to come. He puts up points. He's a good third pairing guy. He's a nice piece to have, end of discussion.

That's my opinion. Franson doesn't help defensively and we need defense. Plus he is making bad choices out there.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I think Franson will be a good piece to trade later on this season. Really cheap cap hit for a team that needs a D-man for the playoffs and the Leafs probably aren't going to be re-signing him

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
What is the Leafs core? IF we get Phaneuf signed to a longterm contract it would be Phaneuf, Kessel, Bozak, Lupul, JVR, Clarkson paid for through to 2018.

That's four really good players on reasonable (Kessel, presumably Phaneuf) to extremely good (Lupul, JVR) contracts, and two mediocre players who are both significantly overpaid. And zero good centres.

I'm going to say no.

Kadri has 4 years of RFA left, so 2017-18 as well.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I hate to say it...

But it is a mute point. Burke refused to fire Wilson both got fired. Nonnis wont fire Carlyle, both get fired. A new GM comes in and says this team is misbuilt. What we call core guys will be traded when the new GM arrives. Shortcuts rarely work.Once we accept that, the GM can come in and begin the rebuild. No number one C, never works. This team doesn't even know what it is.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad