How many of you right handed player shoot left handed?

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
I am right handed but I play hockey left handed...as well as bat in baseball and golf. Personally, like most right handed people, I figure the stronger hand should be at the end of the stick. It's what's comfortable to me and makes sense when you're moving the puck or defending with one hand.

How many of you are like that? Anyone know the reasoning behind why 2 right handed people could play so differently?

I'm the same way ... throw with my right arm, right handed for everything except hockey, golf and baseball batting. Firing a rifle or handgun my right hand is always on the trigger.

You are also correct that the dominant hand should be on the knob end of the stick. My older brother is a righthand shot but does everything righthanded from golf to baseball. My younger brother shoots left in hockey however and golfs righty as well as bats righty in baseball.

People do whatever is comfortable and there probably is no exact correct way for it.

Don't even get me started on those weirdo goaltenders who switch their stick on the backside of the blade to use as the front side and then after shooting a puck switch back to how they use their stick to play goal the correct way. Goalies are all nutjobs anyway.:laugh:

edgevolution

GO USA!
Apr 7, 2010
State of Hockey
I'm right handed and do everything righthanded except playing hockey and pool. My dad made me a lefty in hockey when I was little because that's what he is :laugh: And because you have better control that way.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
I am right handed but play with a left stick. I usually play defense but when i play go up on the play i love to just lean while protecting the puck. Its an easy way to muscle around defense, especially if your really fat (im not but i see it all the time) :laugh:.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
i'm all the way right and can't figure why you wouldn't want your power hand to be the low one for shooting power. clapper, wrister, snap shots all the power is generated from your lower (right) hand.

Right handed shoot left. Generate power with both hands at the start of the shot, though more with the left, mostly with the left in the middle as the right transitions, and mostly with the right at the end/follow through.

SkateThroughIt

Oct 30, 2010
United States
Righty that shoots right. I don't get it either.

I'm also a right that plays LW so power hand in the middle of the ice.

I'm a righty that shoots left. And i play RW...The one thing I do notice is that I have A LOT more control over the puck in one handed situations than anyone else. And my shot is harder than any right shots, of course I practice for it.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
I'm a righty that shoots left. And i play RW...The one thing I do notice is that I have A LOT more control over the puck in one handed situations than anyone else. And my shot is harder than any right shots, of course I practice for it.

I'll give you the control aspect, but I don't think a righty shooting left lends itself to a "harder" shot in most cases vs. a righty shooting right. It may be the case for you, but I don't think it's typical. My stronger/dominant hand/arm is on the bottom generating power.

I was always taught:

upper hand= control
lower hand= power

Depends on the individual, but whichever hand is your dominant is what your going to be predisposed to doing well in my opinion. Better control or more power. I don't see how you can have both. If you can then I want my control dammit!:laugh:

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I think I benefit from the 'traditional' concept.

I write left handed, play pool left handed, golf right, throw right, batting left is more finesse vs batting right with more power, and cut scissors right.

I shoot right. Ultimately, left hand is more finesse and right more power. So shooting helps with this concept. I am toying with the idea of learning left because when I pick up a lefty, it doesnt feel too foreign.

djcreepshow

Jun 18, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I am right-handed, but I shoot left, play golf right and hit right-handed in baseball. It's only in hockey that I shoot left, but shooting right is incredibly uncomfortable and awkward. Go figure! :dunno:

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
Handwriting: RH
Hockey: LH
Baseball: Batting LH/catch LH, throw RH
Golf: LH

If I try any opposite side in any of these sports, it just feels awkward and uncoordinated.

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
Righthanded and play lefthanded. I was always taught that you want your dominant hand on the top of the stick for better control and better stickhandling.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I think I benefit from the 'traditional' concept.

I write left handed, play pool left handed, golf right, throw right, batting left is more finesse vs batting right with more power, and cut scissors right.

I shoot right. Ultimately, left hand is more finesse and right more power. So shooting helps with this concept. I am toying with the idea of learning left because when I pick up a lefty, it doesnt feel too foreign.

So I'm similar but reversed. I'm right in everything but play hockey left. I def feel the control aspect with my dominant hand at top, but Im pretty sure I could shoot "better" right a right handed stick...

I've toyed with the idea of using a right handed stick to see if I can score more, but man the puck handling aspect is just way too different. I do wrist shots off the ice with my friends right stick and I can whip them good.

I wish I could have both :shakehead

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I've noticed that a lot of the guys with the most impressive shots in the leauge shoot right. Ovechkin, Semin, Kessel, Kovalchuk, Ryder, Iginla, Selanne, Kesler, Jeff Carter, Mike Green, Sharp, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Spezza, Subban, Alfie, Hejduk, Karlsson, Letang, Horton, etc. all shoot right. The guys with the hardest wrist/snap shots especially seem to shoot right. I wonder how many of these guys are also right handed in their day to day life? Considering the vast majority of people in the world are right handed, I'd imagine most of these guys are right handed too, though I could be wrong.

I wonder if there's something to the idea that "dominant hand on top means better stick handling, but dominant hand on bottom means a better shot." Considering the majority of NHLers in general shoot left, can it really just be random chance that almost all of the players with the best wristers/snappers shoot right? I mean, if you were to ask most people to name the top 10 wristers/snappers in the NHL, I'll bet you somewhere from 8-10 of the players they list would be right handed shots, pretty interesting IMO.

Buccaneer

Oct 29, 2011
Right handed ... shoot left and kick left footed ... baseball, basketball, golf, pool, rifle right

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I shoot right for all sports I play.

At one point I was shooting with my left hand in basketball, and I felt that hand, altough less accurate, was more technically sound. I developed some bad habits with my right hand and I can't really fix it now.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Right handed (writing, eating, sicssors, rifle, etc.). Shoot and bat lefty. Throw righty. Golf lefty. Surf/skateboard goofy foot (lefty).

Have a brother who is worse. He writes and holds a fork with his left hand. That's the only things he does lefty. Shoots righty. Bats righty. Golfs righty. Throws righty (really weird)!!?? Holds a pair of scissors righty (even weirder)!!?? He claims his 1st grade teacher tried to give him the lefty scissors with the green handles, and because he couldn't cut with them he developed a very bad paste habit.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Righty and do everything right handed. Gave me a terrific slapshot in hockey, but I was a mediocre stickhandler, hence why I played defense after giving up goaltending. Basically as soon as I got the puck I'd get rid of it, either passing it, shooting it or clearing the defensive zone.

Achronos19

May 16, 2009
I'm right handed. Shoot left. I think if I were to shoot left handed it would benefit my shot power having my right hand be the low hand but my left is much to uncoordinated to control the stick like I need it to.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I'm a lefty with a golf club, a hockey stick, a baseball bat, and a guitar. I'm a righty with everything else.

Noir

Aug 27, 2009
Vancouver, CAN
This. It's pretty much whichever way you pick up a hockey stick for the first time. I would play street hockey as a little kid and was just given a stick with a flat blade, I happened to pick it up as a lefty. Solid reasoning to why somebody would go either way, I never really cared too much because frankly, it doesn't matter.

BINGO

It doesn't matter what side is more naturally dominant. If you put in the time it takes to get decent in hockey, your weaker hand should catch up in strength and control and will get used to the natural movements required for top-hand movements.

Silver

Mar 23, 2002
California
Visit site
Right handed and footed. Shoot left, bat left, throw right, golf right. I'm also left eye dominant, so I'm much happier in both hockey and soccer on the right side of the field.

If I could play guitar at all (I have zero musical talent) I would naturally pick it up left-handed though...

KidRobot

Mar 30, 2009
NEW JERSEY
Write: right
Hockey: left
baseball: right
golf: right

No idea. Just felt comfortable that way ever since I picked up a stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad