Post-Game Talk: How many lessons will it take?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Holloway has some decent tools but I didn't like his game at all in the first couple ... he's not ready for the NHL and knowing how player development goes for the Oilers I ain't holding my breath exactly anyway.

Bring up Kostin, Holloway wasn't bringing much of anything other than gifting Petterson a freebie goal to set the tone for the season.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
It would have been bold with a capital B, but a Skinner/Comrie tandem with $3.2M to spend somewhere else on the roster could have been pretty good.
coulda shoulda woulda

only Canadian team currently riding a playoff spot is Calgary and they're reopening arena talks because of the frantic masturbation

all other playoff positions belong to American teams

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Holloway has some decent tools but I didn't like his game at all in the first couple ... he's not ready for the NHL and knowing how player development goes for the Oilers I ain't holding my breath exactly anyway.

Bring up Kostin, Holloway wasn't bringing much of anything other than gifting Petterson a freebie goal to set the tone for the season.
Why is there no leash for a genuinely inexperienced player like Holloway when hurr durr character veterans like Foegele/Barrie/Murray are making just as egregious if not moreso plays than Holloway with zero consequences?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

This franchise is so ass backwards. I don't know what the official report is but I'd guess it's fair to assume Holloway is concussed. Yet in their wisdom management will want to signal Holloway isn't that badly concussed and refuse to place him on the LTIR.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why is there no leash for a genuinely inexperienced player like Holloway when hurr durr character veterans like Foegele/Barrie/Murray are making just as egregious if not moreso plays than Holloway with zero consequences?

I'll give him some leash sure he's just a rookie, but man it would be nice to have a rookie in the lineup that didn't just straight give the other team a goal straight away (Ethan Bear, Caleb Jones, etc. etc. etc.). It gets tiring. I think Holloway is in way over his head anyway, no way is he ready to play as a NHL top 6 forward.

The drafting and development of this franchise outside of slam dunk top 5 picks is really abyssmal, how many picks have we had since the McDavid pick, and how many of those are players that contribute anything on a nightly basis to the team over the course of 7 years?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I'll give him some leash sure he's just a rookie, but man it would be nice to have a rookie in the lineup that didn't just straight give the other team a goal straight away (Ethan Bear, Caleb Jones, etc. etc. etc.). It gets tiring. I think Holloway is in way over his head anyway, no way is he ready to play as a NHL top 6 forward.

The drafting and development of this franchise outside of slam dunk top 5 picks is really abyssmal, how many picks have we had since the McDavid pick, and how many of those are players that contribute anything on a nightly basis to the team?
And Holloway got hurt bad pass or not. Yamamoto never learned to protect himself. The shine is off Bouchard. His play has been ugly. I'm grateful we didn't give him the homerun contract.

All our prospects should be on the table. All of them. If Bourgault can bring in a quality player he should be moved.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And Holloway got hurt bad pass or not. Yamamoto never learned to protect himself. The shine is off Bouchard. His play has been ugly. I'm grateful we didn't give him the homerun contract.

All our prospects should be on the table. All of them. If Bourgault can bring in a quality player he should be moved.

Bouchard is probably the only one I'd keep just because later on it will probably be a pain in the ass to get an offensive D once Barrie is inevitably gone and I'd rather stab myself than watch Nurse "run" a PP.

Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Holloway, Broberg, Bourgault ... got no problem with trading any of those guys same with the 2023 1st, 2024 1st, 2025 1st. Don't care, the odds of any of these guys becoming big impact players is IMO low given how the Oilers draft/develop anyway.

We got lucky getting McDavid and Draisaitl in the draft and Nurse and RNH and Bouchard are OK I guess, that's about as much draft riches as we probably can expect, time to stop thinking the draft is the answer. The Oilers are mediocre at drafting and even if they do pick a decent player they probably will inevitably f*** up their development some how anyway.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

The drafting and development of this franchise outside of slam dunk top 5 picks is really abyssmal, how many picks have we had since the McDavid pick, and how many of those are players that contribute anything on a nightly basis to the team over the course of 7 years?
I mean sure Holloway needs time but most of our lineup is full of griefers who give away goals for free off stupid passes/allowing forwards to walk by them and that includes McDrai. The difference is some players make up for the idiotic plays with great plays (McDrai, Kane, Hyman, RNH, Nurse, Ceci etc) or flashes of potential (McLeod, Holloway, Bouchard etc) while others like Foegele/Shore make up for the idiotic plays by... being really nice guys whose teammates care about them? I know which ones I want off the team.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
This franchise is so ass backwards. I don't know what the official report is but I'd guess it's fair to assume Holloway is concussed. Yet in their wisdom management will want to signal Holloway isn't that badly concussed and refuse to place him on the LTIR.
Can you send him down and bring up shore and then if its bad retroactive LTIR him? Not sure how this works. Maybe that does him dirty because then he gets peanuts while injured since hes assigned the AHL.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
There are many players they could have have for the same 9 million they spent on Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Foegele to provide "balance" (read scoring a f***ing goal once in century when the team actually needs a spark) ... that's not on McDavid, that's on the management.
They ‘could have’ had other players? Really? How were they supposed to perform that bit of magic? Are you suggesting that they should have just walked away from Puljujarvi and Yamamoto? And thrown draft picks at someone to take Foegele off their hands? Max Domi (lol) and Strome swapped in like picking cans of soup off the shelf? Sorry, the NHL doesn’t work like that.

All three of those guys were almost certainly available in a trade if anyone in the league had wanted them. Didn’t happen. You can’t just snap your fingers and erase 9 million in cap space because you want to.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The same bad habits creep back into team's personnel, poor starts and easing their way into games; poor d-zone defending and soft on pucks and opposition within hard areas; haphazard puck management and/or lazy no look passes. These are more symptoms of gaps within the personnel decision making and approach to games versus pinning it on systems and coaching.

Last night is frustrating coming after Woodrow's clearly agitated post-game presser against Calgary and talk of a hard practise Monday to work on the game management elements that have been thrown out the window to start this season. Troubling to see old, bad patterns continue to plaque this team's personnel.
They’re bad because they’re rusty and not game ready under Woody because he didn’t play them enough during preseason.

They were bad under Tippett because his systems were bad, but at least the players weren’t rusty to start the season because he would play them 5 or 6 times in the preseason.

Both coaches have negatively impacted their team in different ways.

Nah. One can structure a camp to get a look at all prospects AND spend enough time getting the main players games and looked at. Many clubs very specifically divide up the roster with a lot of starters playing some games and the prospects others. We had few games where it was literally just the starters.

Next its possible to still give prospects some games but work with main team in camp and practice. It isn't even necessary for woody to be behind the bench for prospects games. He could be working with the main club all day every day. Theres no reason not to defer the prospects to the prospects coach. With Woody attending exclusively to the NHL squad. That ideally is what should occur. Woody probably guilty of the feeling of many starting coaches that time to work with a club is endless. No, most of your time that you ever get happens right in preseason and camp and why its so important.
The issue is he didn’t get his top vets ready. I think most of us agree on that. :)

Reactions: Leonardlizard

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
They’re bad because they’re rusty and not game ready under Woody because he didn’t play them enough during preseason.

They were bad under Tippett because his systems were bad, but at least the players weren’t rusty to start the season because he would play them 5 or 6 times in the preseason.

Both coaches have negatively impacted their team in different ways.
They were bad under Tippett as much for their deep sustained injuries to their 1A platoon goaltender and injuries deep into their d-corp and McDavid/Draisaitl hitting a hard slump which negatively effected a team still growing its forward depth. The sustained under performing to expected goals finally reset itself with timed with a confluence of factors, getting Kane; return of 1A goaltender and other injured bodies; and resetting new voice under Woodcroft. It was not a binary reality of Tippett bad; Woodcroft good. Lots of contributing factors.

What I perceive as a perceived Woodcroft strength of roster deployment has actually been part of the problem early. The line blender after game 1 made no sense going into 'The Rival' game 2. This was a hangover effect from the Colorado series where he blinked after a hard fought game 1 and reset his top lines. Not helping the cause of settling this team down. Smaller quibbles from my pov the primary issue remains within the players and their decision making and compete level in the battle areas on ice.

Woodcroft has the best lineup this franchise has fielded since Chiarelli took a woodchipper to its depth. Healthy to start the season and hungry by all accounts to win (so we've been told by players, coaches and management). It's only three games into the season. However Woodcroft hasn't seemed to get the message across with the poor decision making and soft play continuing after the Flamers game. All repeating issues that go back and continue to repeat themselves. The required change has to come from within the players and needs to stick, not be fleetingly and frustratingly carried out as its been through 3 home games.

EDIT: Let's be clear, I like Woodcroft a lot and feel he's earned this opportunity. He can become a really good NHL coach but he's also not a miracle worker.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Hello Darkness my old friend, I've come to talk with you again...

This is far more negative than even I can accomplish at my worst.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They were bad under Tippett as much for their deep sustained injuries to their 1A platoon goaltender and injuries deep into their d-corp and McDavid/Draisaitl hitting a hard slump which negatively effected a team still growing its forward depth. The sustained under performing to expected goals finally reset itself with timed with a confluence of factors, getting Kane; return of 1A goaltender and other injured bodies; and resetting new voice under Woodcroft. It was not a binary reality of Tippett bad; Woodcroft good. Lots of contributing factors.

What I perceive as a perceived Woodcroft strength of roster deployment has actually been part of the problem early. The line blender after game 1 made no sense going into 'The Rival' game 2. This was a hangover effect from the Colorado series where he blinked after a hard fought game 1 and reset his top lines. Not helping the cause of settling this team down. Smaller quibbles from my pov the primary issue remains within the players and their decision making and compete level in the battle areas on ice.

Woodcroft has the best lineup this franchise has fielded since Chiarelli took a woodchipper to its depth. Healthy to start the season and hungry by all accounts to win (so we've been told by players, coaches and management). It's only three games into the season. However Woodcroft hasn't seemed to get the message across with the poor decision making and soft play continuing after the Flamers game. All repeating issues that go back and continue to repeat themselves. The required change has to come from within the players and needs to stick, not be fleetingly and frustratingly carried out as its been through 3 home games.

EDIT: Let's be clear, I like Woodcroft a lot and feel he's earned this opportunity. He can become a really good NHL coach but he's also not a miracle worker.
The execution isn’t good right now because they’re rusty. You can see it clearly on the ice. Kane flubbing wide open chances and looking slow. Drai missing easy passes he would usually make.

Woody needs to learn from this next year.

Under Tippett the players were never rusty to start but his system left them vulnerable. Different reason for failure.

Both coaches deserve the criticism for different things.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Ultimately, even your even headed take on things is premature. People expected a full season of Woodcroft being a huge factor in our ascension to top contender status, and now they may want to put some cold water on that because there are some of the bad issues that remind us all of the team that Tippett coached to non-playoff status before Woodcroft apparently was a main ingredient in saving the season and going deep into the playoffs.

However, even with our poor start, that doesn't mean that we should put cold water on the cult of Woodcroft yet. Don't be surprised if the Flyers collapse later. Don't be surprised if the Oilers catch fire and grab that contender status. It's even too early for a level headed interpretation of things imo lol

Reactions: Oilhawks

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Can you send him down and bring up shore and then if its bad retroactive LTIR him? Not sure how this works. Maybe that does him dirty because then he gets peanuts while injured since hes assigned the AHL.
I don't know, you can't demote an injured player so if he was placed on the LTIR he would be guaranteed a month of NHL pay. I'm not 100% sure.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
coulda shoulda woulda

only Canadian team currently riding a playoff spot is Calgary and they're reopening arena talks because of the frantic masturbation

all other playoff positions belong to American teams
Its 3 games. Why are you talking about playoff spots?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad