How many Harts & Art Ross’s for McDavid?

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
True enough but for his first 5-6 years OV was about as much a threat to win one as Sid.

So far there just doesn't seem to be that many guys capable of putting up the 100 points that Mcdavid figures to average moving forward. Malkin is doing it this year but is getting older. Kucherov might be a good bet to do it. Mackinnon is hard to get a read on since he's never had a season like this. Can he keep it up? Dunno. Giroux will be around there but is older. Mcdavid doesn't have any obvious peers in terms of talent level whereas Crosby had Malkin/Ovechkin and for a brief period the Sedins as well.

Maybe Kucherov/Mackinnon can develop into consistent 100 point threats and probably other guys will emerge (Barzal? etc) but for now at least Mcdavid is clearly a step above the competition. That bodes well for his chances to put this trophy on lockdown if he can stay durable.

All due respect to Mcdavid, but Lemieux is Lemieux. Old Lemieux who couldn't tie his skates still > Mcdavid. That's not a slight on Mcdavid either. Lemieux was other worldly. Far better than Crosby. Far better than Ovechkin.

I'd be shocked if Mcdavid puts up a 1.77 PPG in a season. That would be other worldly.

OK, so lets look at this.

McDavid is currently on a 1.30ppg pace = 107 point pace. Now, lets say Connor scored at the same pace as the rest of the next 10 top scorers on the PP, 33 PP points vs. 17 points in 76 games, that's +.21ppg = 1.51ppg pace. I don't think McDavid scoring on average as the rest of the top 10 in PP points is a stretch or building a best case scenario situation... the Oilers are likely to have the least number of PP Opportunities for a season (excluding the shortened season)... all time... combined with this season's worst PP%.

Now figure in that the Oilers were brutal this year, McDavid was known to have a very bad flu for about 10-15 games and the fact the Oilers do not have a solid puck moving offensive Dman.

Is 1.7 - 1.75 ppg a huge stretch... I don't think so.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
OK, so lets look at this.

McDavid is currently on a 1.30ppg pace = 107 point pace. Now, lets say Connor scored at the same pace as the rest of the next 10 top scorers on the PP, 33 PP points vs. 17 points in 76 games, that's +.21ppg = 1.51ppg pace. I don't think McDavid scoring on average as the rest of the top 10 in PP points is a stretch or building a best case scenario situation... the Oilers are likely to have the least number of PP Opportunities for a season (excluding the shortened season)... all time... combined with this season's worst

Now figure in that the Oilers were brutal this year, McDavid was known to have a very bad flu for about 10-15 games and the fact the Oilers do not have a solid puck moving offensive Dman.

Is 1.7 - 1.75 ppg a huge stretch... I don't think so.

What type of flu lasts for over a month?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Think it was a couple flus and a throat infection in between that dragged on through and after the 2nd illness.

Interesting, never heard of someone getting a couple flus in that short of a time.

OilersAllTheWay

May 31, 2017
It was said he also got mono which can actually be like flu+ but when you combine that with actually get flu and have injuries, it can take much longer to recover.

Gary Bets Man

"All bets are off."
Feb 4, 2015
7 Art Ross trophies including a stretch here in which he wins 4 or 5 in a row, 6 Hart trophies , 6 Ted Lindsay awards. He edges out Lemieux as the 3rd greatest player to have played the game by his careers end. 2nd most awards all time right behind 99.

Now 97, all up to you.
No pressure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad