How many draft homeruns has your team's GM hit?

Twisted Blue

Feb 4, 2013
St. Louis
Naming guys that look like homerun picks for the Blues.

Schwartz, Tarasenko, Edmundson, Parayko, Fabbri, Dunn. Those are mid first and up guys that were picked by the current staff iirc, and have made an impact with the big club

There are some guys that look like gems in the pipeline Walman, Husso, Kyrou, Kostin, Thomas....maybe Blais(he's a 6th round pick thats played a few games in the NHL)
I would put Edmundson (2011, 2nd round) Parayko (2012, round 3) as closer to home run picks, Schwartz and Tarasenko were first rounders and great picks for the draft position. Dunn (2nd rd 2015) and Fabbri (1st rd 2014) are TBD with injury and not enough time in NHL. Ben Bishop and Jake Allen were both great picks.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
This might be the loftiest expectation for what a homerun is. I mean, the ball could barely go over the wall, or clear out the park. In either case, that batter is walking to home plate.

I mean, Parayko isn't just a 3rd rounder, he's someone who waited 10 rounds to hear his name called. Him and Edmundson were in the same draft year in 2011, but Edmundson was drafted in the 2nd round. Parayko was completely ignored until the 3rd of the following year. And yet, Parayko has solidified himself as a top-4 defenseman, making it possible to trade a 45+ point defensemen, plays 20+ minutes a night, and is still well ahead of "homerun" Edmundson as a defenseman. And this is all coming from someone who is much more critical of Parayko than most Blues fans.

Sure, it's your opinion, but I'd really like to know what a homerun pick is to you if Parayko can't fit the bill.
Yeah - I'm going to agree with this. Parayko is absolutely a huge get in the third round and absolutely a home run.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
As a Canucks fan, I've been thrilled with the performance of Jim Benning at the draft table.

By my estimation he has hit homeruns on the following players:

Brock Boeser
Elias Pettersson
Thatcher Demko
Adam Gaudette
Nikita Tryamkin

My question to you is, how many draft homeruns has your GM hit and who are they?

Only Boeser and Tryamkin are real extra base hits so far. Boeser looks like a possible home run but Tryamkin still has something to prove... and needs to come to NA to prove it. McCann too, should be considered a hit, Forsling as well.

The rest have proven nothing despite tracking well. I'd call them high fly balls at this point

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I am just more into proven talent and this is one of those cases. I value defenseman differently than most people and Edmundson has "it" defensively and can chip in on offense and most importantly, he is consistent. What made Parayko so impressive right off the bat hasn't been so impressive and we have seen his game falter a lot more recently. Again, I am not saying he is bad or he is not a top 4... I am not even saying he is not a homerun. I think you said it best that the batter is walking home. I just don't think the ball is quite over the wall yet.
This doesn't make sense...Edmundson has faltered just as much, he cant establish himself next to Petro so he gets getting pushed back down. We all know Parayko isn't going to outplay Pietrangleo. Parayko has just as many pts ad Edmundson this year and always outscores him...by double last year and triple the year before. He's also a better defenseman. I don't see how you can be comfortable with Edmundson being a homerun pick but Parayko isn't....other then Parayko not meeting fan expectations of a 50pt+ monster dman. If Parayko is nothing more then a 40pt/20min+ all situations Dman....He's easily a top 10 redraftee. That is absolutely a homerun pick in the 3rd round

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
This doesn't make sense...Edmundson has faltered just as much, he cant establish himself next to Petro so he gets getting pushed back down. We all know Parayko isn't going to outplay Pietrangleo. Parayko has just as many pts ad Edmundson this year and always outscores him...by double last year and triple the year before. He's also a better defenseman. I don't see how you can be comfortable with Edmundson being a homerun pick but Parayko isn't....other then Parayko not meeting fan expectations of a 50pt+ monster dman. If Parayko is nothing more then a 40pt/20min+ all situations Dman....He's easily a top 10 redraftee. That is absolutely a homerun pick in the 3rd round
But its not just about scoring. As I said Edmundson has been a lot more consistent as well. I'll say it again, I am just personally not ready to call Parayko a homerun pick YET.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I agree. Benning has done amazing in the draft. Kole Lind is looking like another stud

In before someone mentions Virtanen over Nylander/Ehlers or Juolevi over Tkachuk to try and discredit all his other great picks.
Wtf...

Benning has been abysmal in the draft. A dozen good games from Boeser doesn't cancel out Virtanen, Juolevi, and all the other bad choices.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Wtf...

Benning has been abysmal in the draft. A dozen good games from Boeser doesn't cancel out Virtanen, Juolevi, and all the other bad choices.
Wtf.......

Virtanen is 21 years old
Juolevi is 19 years old.
What other bad choices?

Talk to me about Benning being abysmal in the draft when his picks havent even had a chance to prove themselves. How's little Sam Bennett doing bud?

Last edited:

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Bob Murray drafted Anaheim's defense.

/mic drop

I don't know what the OP means with "homerun", but...
Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen, Manson, Montour.

Also 51 pts in 78 games J. Schultz (yeah, not a home run), and Toronto's no.1 elite defenseman Jake Gardiner.

What's a homerun pick anyway?

Don't forget non-defense picks... Rakell and Gibson should probably count. Kase, Terry, Steel, Larsson are TBD but look strong.

My definition of a "home run" pick would be any non-lottery pick that becomes a quality (top 6 F, top 4 D) NHL player. It's much easier to get get a quality player in the top end of the draft without much risk. Non-lottery at least limits it to teams that made the playoffs that year, so not only is the franchise doing well but, drafting well too. The 90's/00's were just batting practice for the Red Wings.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
As a Canucks fan, I've been thrilled with the performance of Jim Benning at the draft table.

By my estimation he has hit homeruns on the following players:

Brock Boeser
Elias Pettersson
Thatcher Demko
Adam Gaudette
Nikita Tryamkin

My question to you is, how many draft homeruns has your GM hit and who are they?

I obviously have a different idea of what a draft home run is than you do. I consider the player has to provide more value than expected based on where he was drafted.

Using that criteria, as a Canucks fan, the answer is still zero even though all of these players except Demko are tracking well ahead of what one would expect based on draft position and Demko is looking to be as good as he was expected to be when drafted.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Man you sure are getting super defensive about Parayko. I love the guy, I am a Blues fan. But he has regressed. I don't care if "anyone besides" me call's it a home run. I wouldn't... yet.

It's talent based on pick # without playing any games? I think your translation of it and what others are is different. Players are normally drafted in an order based on their talent level with minor adjustment to team needs. Fabbri has been injured a lot. God forbid but lets say he never plays another NHL game. Is that really a home run of a pick? Yeah he had great talent for the minimal time he played in the NHL but how is that a home run of a pick? Again, like I said, lots of random players have had a good few games or even a good season and a half but then fell off the face of the earth. Happens all the time.

They aren't home runs... yet. Could care less if you agree with me, it's an opinion.

He hasn't regressed.. Yeo is consistently pushing out Tarasenko - Schwartz - Schenn -Petro - LHD for every offensive zone start he can... Parayko is at a 43 ozs% Essentially while you may believe he is regressing if you look at point totals this goes hand in hand with the opportunity he's been having. He's still holding a 30 point pace at the moment while playing primarily in the defensive end very well. If you would have told me anyone available could step right on and become a top 4 RHD with as much potential as the kid has and being picked in the 3rd round I'd say you're crazy.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
He hasn't regressed.. Yeo is consistently pushing out Tarasenko - Schwartz - Schenn -Petro - LHD for every offensive zone start he can... Parayko is at a 43 ozs% Essentially while you may believe he is regressing if you look at point totals this goes hand in hand with the opportunity he's been having. He's still holding a 30 point pace at the moment while playing primarily in the defensive end very well. If you would have told me anyone available could step right on and become a top 4 RHD with as much potential as the kid has and being picked in the 3rd round I'd say you're crazy.
He is hesitating a lot and not getting many shots in and his passes are off a lot more often.

Again, I am not saying he is bad or anything of the sort. But he hasn't been playing as good as he did early last season. Also again, it's not all about points.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Just like Monhan, and Tkachuk DON'T cancel out Poirier, Klimchuk and Bennett.

Now you're talking about 2 separate GMs picks. Poirier, Monahan, and Klimchuk were all Feaster picks. Overall, I've been quite happy with the Flames drafting lately. We've drafted Gaudreau, Brodie, Monahan, Tkachuk, Backlund, and Ferland, who are all very key components of our team. No not every pick has been a home run, but I'm not giving up on Bennett yet.

The Canucks on the other hand have pretty much just drafted Boeser and Horvat.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
He is hesitating a lot and not getting many shots in and his passes are off a lot more often.

Again, I am not saying he is bad or anything of the sort. But he hasn't been playing as good as he did early last season. Also again, it's not all about points.

Well yeah I do agree with the fact that he's hesitating. But you also have to understand this is the first year the defensemen have been under Yeo's new system of activating as opposed to Hitch's stay at home philosophies. I'm going to go ahead and guess that Colt is struggling between instincts and structure right now. He will be completely fine when he gets over that hump.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Well yeah I do agree with the fact that he's hesitating. But you also have to understand this is the first year the defensemen have been under Yeo's new system of activating as opposed to Hitch's stay at home philosophies. I'm going to go ahead and guess that Colt is struggling between instincts and structure right now. He will be completely fine when he gets over that hump.
No doubt he will get over that hump. He is a special player and will be a homerun soon enough :)

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
That makes no sense.... If Aho was known to be a homerun, 30 teams including the Canes themselves would have selected him in the 1st round!

I mean explain why: Yakupov, Filatov, L.Schenn werent homeruns and Aho was? Theres absolutely no logic here.

Aho was a home run in because of what he did after he was drafted not before.

You have a good point about Luke Schenn. He was supposed to be a very good player based on his rookie NHL season but he catastrophically regressed. But that doesn't mean he wasn't a homer in after his rookie season. He was. These things change based on new information. McDavid was a good pick but if he suddenly regresses to the point where he never scores another point after today then Edmonton fans would rightly wish they drafted Eichel.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Eh, I don't consider Aho a "homerun" today. He looks like he's going to be a very good player, and a very good value at his draft position. Let's see if he establishes himself as a star at the NHL level before labeling him as anything beyond that.

As for guys who haven't even played a game yet, come on.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad