How many draft homeruns has your team's GM hit?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Not sure you can call Parayko, Fabbri or Dunn a "homerun" yet. Parayko has taken a step back, Fabbri is always hurt and so far Dunn looks great but its been what? 10 games? I give Edmundson a pass here because he has been consistently great and has been overshadowed by Parayko's amazing start to his career but overall Eddy has been the better D-man. Might have something to do with playing with Pie but regardless he looks fantastic and better than Parayko most nights.

Anyways, very excited for the prospects mentioned too. Could be some more "homeruns" in there.
Parayko was a 3rd round pick that at worst is a 40ish point 20+min a night top 4 dman. That is a HOMERUN.

Fabbri absolutely looked like a top 10 talent taken at 21st overall, that is a homerun pick

I was iffy on putting Dunn in that but he's already shifting with Pietrangelo and Parayko. So while, he's not a lock...im confident that he's going to be an impact player taken in the 2nd round

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Good Holland draft picks

Pavel Datsyuk 6th round #171 overall 1998
Henrik Zetterberg 7th round #210 overall 1999
Niklas Kronwall 1st round #29 overall 2000
Johan Franzen 3rd round #79 overall 2004
Gustav Nyquist 4th round #121 overall 2008
Tomas Tatar 2nd round #60 overall 2009

Honestly, not a whole lot. We've been terrible at drafting overall, miraculously finding Datsyuk and Zetterberg two decades ago is the only reason Holland is still around

There's a few more promising ones in Mantha, Larkin, Athanasiou, Hronek, Saarijarvi but they're young so we can't really declare them anything yet

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Parayko was a 3rd round pick that at worst is a 40ish point 20+min a night top 4 dman. That is a HOMERUN.

Fabbri absolutely looked like a top 10 talent taken at 21st overall, that is a homerun pick

I was iffy on putting Dunn in that but he's already shifting with Pietrangelo and Parayko. So while, he's not a lock...im confident that he's going to be an impact player taken in the 2nd round
I am not saying Parayko is bad or anything but just don't think we can call him a homerun yet.

Fabbri, if he can stay healthy then yes. But he hasn't been healthy. How can you call a guy a homerun who can't stay in the lineup? Regardless of how good they are when they do play.

Dunn looks like he will be a homerun. But has not yet IMO. I think Shishkonov, Bougenecki and a bunch of other random's have had a good 10 game stretch at one point too.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Since 2014, Pastrnak and McAvoy have been amazing picks. Without those two picks, our outlook for future would be a lot bleaker. Lots of other great late picks too that are already contributing in the NHL, like Carlo, Bjork, Heinen, Cehlarik, DeBrusk.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I am not saying Parayko is bad or anything but just don't think we can call him a homerun yet.

Fabbri, if he can stay healthy then yes. But he hasn't been healthy. How can you call a guy a homerun who can't stay in the lineup? Regardless of how good they are when they do play.

Dunn looks like he will be a homerun. But has not yet IMO. I think Shishkonov, Bougenecki and a bunch of other random's have had a good 10 game stretch at one point too.
You can absolutely call Parayko a homerun. I don't think anyone besides you thinks otherwise. He doesn't have to be a franchise player to be a homerun. Now if he was a top 10 pick, then that would be different.

This is a talent based on draft position talk, Fabbri fits the bill, even if he's not heathly. His injury is something that could happen to every player, its not a chronic issue.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
You can absolutely call Parayko a homerun. I don't think anyone besides you thinks otherwise. He doesn't have to be a franchise player to be a homerun. Now if he was a top 10 pick, then that would be different.

This is a talent based on draft position talk, Fabbri fits the bill, even if he's not heathly. His injury is something that could happen to every player, its not a chronic issue.
Man you sure are getting super defensive about Parayko. I love the guy, I am a Blues fan. But he has regressed. I don't care if "anyone besides" me call's it a home run. I wouldn't... yet.

It's talent based on pick # without playing any games? I think your translation of it and what others are is different. Players are normally drafted in an order based on their talent level with minor adjustment to team needs. Fabbri has been injured a lot. God forbid but lets say he never plays another NHL game. Is that really a home run of a pick? Yeah he had great talent for the minimal time he played in the NHL but how is that a home run of a pick? Again, like I said, lots of random players have had a good few games or even a good season and a half but then fell off the face of the earth. Happens all the time.

They aren't home runs... yet. Could care less if you agree with me, it's an opinion.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Does not apply to:
Casey Mittelstadt
Rasmus Asplund
Brendan Guhle
:D

i think you only credit a GM for a 'homerun pick' when a player outplays his draft position. I'm hoping Guhle turns into one. Mittelstadt was ranked 5-8th so he's expected to be a star. It's Buffalo's problem, we've rarely done that. St. Louis does it more than any team.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Blake's only in his first season as GM so we'll have to wait and see how they end up. but a lot of Kings fans are really excited about Vilardi and Anderson-Dolan.

With Lombardi he had some misses, but still made some good picks especially in the later rounds. Toffoli, Pearson, Voynov, Martinez, Muzzin (not technically drafted by us, but he was signed and developed by us), Kempe (still young, but looking good so far). There's probably more than I'm forgetting, but these all turned into solid NHL players

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
lol this whole thread could be dedicated to Steve Yzerman. Just recently he's cracked the bat on Sergachev. We don't know where the ball is gonna land any time soon but bight now it's a BIIIGGGG drive and it's going... going... going....

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Homerun:

Johnny Hockey
Colton Parayko
Jacob Slavin
PK Subban
Nikita Kucherov
Vincent Trocheck
Brayden Point

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

agreed on parayko.

but not fabbri. if he cant string together a couple of good seasons you cant count him. he looks like he could be a great player but it means nothing without the NHL success to go with it.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Man you sure are getting super defensive about Parayko. I love the guy, I am a Blues fan. But he has regressed. I don't care if "anyone besides" me call's it a home run. I wouldn't... yet.

It's talent based on pick # without playing any games? I think your translation of it and what others are is different. Players are normally drafted in an order based on their talent level with minor adjustment to team needs. Fabbri has been injured a lot. God forbid but lets say he never plays another NHL game. Is that really a home run of a pick? Yeah he had great talent for the minimal time he played in the NHL but how is that a home run of a pick? Again, like I said, lots of random players have had a good few games or even a good season and a half but then fell off the face of the earth. Happens all the time.

They aren't home runs... yet. Could care less if you agree with me, it's an opinion.
How has Parayko regressed? He's playing in a larger role, he's a defenseman, his points are not what makes or breaks him. This is more of an issue with him not meeting expectations set by fans. He goes top 5 easily in a redraft, dropping from the 3rd round. How is that not a homerun pick?

Your assesment of Fabbri is fine, i just dont see it that way unless he never plays hockey again.

Reactions: rumrokh

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
As a Canucks fan, I've been thrilled with the performance of Jim Benning at the draft table.

By my estimation he has hit homeruns on the following players:

Brock Boeser
Elias Pettersson
Thatcher Demko
Adam Gaudette
Nikita Tryamkin

My question to you is, how many draft homeruns has your GM hit and who are they?
Those are "home runs" before many of them have played an NHL game?
None of them have played more than a partial season?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
How has Parayko regressed? He's playing in a larger role, he's a defenseman, his points are not what makes or breaks him. This is more of an issue with him not meeting expectations set by fans. He goes top 5 easily in a redraft, dropping from the 3rd round. How is that not a homerun pick?

Your assesment of Fabbri is fine, i just dont see it that way unless he never plays hockey again.
I agree people put too much emphasis on points these days for D-men but he is hesitating a lot more. He is trying to do too much and needs to simplifiy his game. He probably will be a homerun. I am not saying he wont. I just personally don't think I would call him a homerun right now.

Well I probably wont see Fabbri as a homerun if we keep thinking he is coming back, leave spots open for him, spending money on him and he's playing just a few games a season. Again, god forbid that happens. But if it does, he ends up doing more harm to the team than help. Another one that's probably a homerun I just personally wouldn't call it yet.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I agree people put too much emphasis on points these days for D-men but he is hesitating a lot more. He is trying to do too much and needs to simplifiy his game. He probably will be a homerun. I am not saying he wont. I just personally don't think I would call him a homerun right now.

Well I probably wont see Fabbri as a homerun if we keep thinking he is coming back, leave spots open for him, spending money on him and he's playing just a few games a season. Again, god forbid that happens. But if it does, he ends up doing more harm to the team than help. Another one that's probably a homerun I just personally wouldn't call it yet.
This might be the loftiest expectation for what a homerun is. I mean, the ball could barely go over the wall, or clear out the park. In either case, that batter is walking to home plate.

I mean, Parayko isn't just a 3rd rounder, he's someone who waited 10 rounds to hear his name called. Him and Edmundson were in the same draft year in 2011, but Edmundson was drafted in the 2nd round. Parayko was completely ignored until the 3rd of the following year. And yet, Parayko has solidified himself as a top-4 defenseman, making it possible to trade a 45+ point defensemen, plays 20+ minutes a night, and is still well ahead of "homerun" Edmundson as a defenseman. And this is all coming from someone who is much more critical of Parayko than most Blues fans.

Sure, it's your opinion, but I'd really like to know what a homerun pick is to you if Parayko can't fit the bill.

Reactions: rumrokh

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
This might be the loftiest expectation for what a homerun is. I mean, the ball could barely go over the wall, or clear out the park. In either case, that batter is walking to home plate.

I mean, Parayko isn't just a 3rd rounder, he's someone who waited 10 rounds to hear his name called. Him and Edmundson were in the same draft year in 2011, but Edmundson was drafted in the 2nd round. Parayko was completely ignored until the 3rd of the following year. And yet, Parayko has solidified himself as a top-4 defenseman, making it possible to trade a 45+ point defensemen, plays 20+ minutes a night, and is still well ahead of "homerun" Edmundson as a defenseman. And this is all coming from someone who is much more critical of Parayko than most Blues fans.

Sure, it's your opinion, but I'd really like to know what a homerun pick is to you if Parayko can't fit the bill.
I am just more into proven talent and this is one of those cases. I value defenseman differently than most people and Edmundson has "it" defensively and can chip in on offense and most importantly, he is consistent. What made Parayko so impressive right off the bat hasn't been so impressive and we have seen his game falter a lot more recently. Again, I am not saying he is bad or he is not a top 4... I am not even saying he is not a homerun. I think you said it best that the batter is walking home. I just don't think the ball is quite over the wall yet.

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
For the Canes

Slavin
Pesce
Aho

Unfortunately it looks like Hanifin is a bunt single at 5th overall. Still time for him to steal a few bases, though.

Reactions: Sasso09

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Nico
Bratt

I do think that Walsh, Boqvist and Talvitie will also be up there in a few years. Not to mention McLeod and Zacha will be good players going forward

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
real good eh?

let's just all pull over on gaudette and pettersson and whomever and remember that there was a time that cody hodgson and jordan schroeder also looked like home runs by the OP's standards.

Just a few years ago people were acting like Cole Cassels was a steal in the draft. It's looks like he will become the next Nathan Smith.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad