How many draft homeruns has your team's GM hit?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
As a Canucks fan, I've been thrilled with the performance of Jim Benning at the draft table.

By my estimation he has hit homeruns on the following players:

Brock Boeser
Elias Pettersson
Thatcher Demko
Adam Gaudette
Nikita Tryamkin

My question to you is, how many draft homeruns has your GM hit and who are they?

Reactions: pomx

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
As a Canucks fan, I've been thrilled with the performance of Jim Benning at the draft table.

Brock Boeser
Elias Pettersson
Thatcher Demko
Adam Gaudette
Nikita Tryamkin

My question to you is, how many draft homeruns has your GM hit and who are they?

Not sure how the bolded count as home runs. Jim Benning has had terrible drafts aside from Boeser. Too early to tell on Pettersson.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Chiarelli has only had three drafts so tough to say

2015: Very promising thus far with McDavid, Jones, Bear and Paigin. Couldve had picks 16 + 33 as well but Chi chia-ed that up pretty badly.

2016: Pulju fell into his laps, jury still out. Could be a major HR in a season or two. Nothing else notable tbh.

2017: Yammo, Skinner and Safin all looking pretty legit. Has the potential to be a great draft, again, way too early.

HR in draft both fell to him

HR in trades: PATTY Maroon for garbage. Oh, and hes retained 0.5mill by Anaheim.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
This is more drafting department then GM, since they tell him who to pick. Unless your GM is head of scouting.

Whats going to classify as a homerun pick? Id say anyone who's selected outside of the top 10 that turn out to be top 6/4 or starting goalies is a homerun pick.

Blues are pretty good at drafting

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

McDonnel and Crew (Nills people) all suck and repeatedly try to be the smartest people in the room (see Guryanov, Honka) with nonsensical picks, especially considering the players still available (Connor, Svechnikov, Larkin,etc) They've gotten precisely 0 supporting talent out of any of their drafts.

It's a good thing the Nieuwendyk years were so fruitful at least for depth.
Caamano looks to be about the only good prospect in 5 years of drafts they've been apart of.
at least their most recent draft gave them Heiskanen which I don't think anyone could screw that one up

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I agree. Benning has done amazing in the draft. Kole Lind is looking like another stud

In before someone mentions Virtanen over Nylander/Ehlers or Juolevi over Tkachuk to try and discredit all his other great picks.

I mean you can say "in before..." and it doesn't stop the counter argument. He certainly hasn't done "amazing in the draft" by any stretch of the imagination. Virtanen and Juolevi aren't done per se but you have to hit on your top 10 and top 5 picks to have an "amazing" draft record.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

Brock Boeser
Elias Pettersson
Thatcher Demko
Adam Gaudette
Nikita Tryamkin

LOL. Maybe some of those players should actually play an NHL game, or become NHL regulars, before you proclaim them "home runs". None of that list are home runs.........yet.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Yzerman's hit a lot. He's had his share of swings and misses too, but it's hard to deny some of the talent he and Al Murray have found in rounds 2-7.

Kucherov in the 2nd 2011

Palat in the 7th 2011

Brayden Point 3rd 2014

Andrei Vasilevskiy 19th overall 2012 draft.

Hes also had some swing's and a miss. Particularly I hated the Brian Hart Pick in the 2nd round in 2012. Thought that was a waste of a pick, though we seemed really high on him as an organization. Other than Drouin and Vasi as well, our first rounds were particularly weak. Luckily though Names seemed to find himself a nice niche with Stamkos and Kucherov.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
It's ridiculous to classify a draft pick as a home run before the player has played a meaningful number of games in the NHL.

Disagree. For example Sebastian Aho was a home run pick before he played in the NHL. It's not like you know nothing about a player until they play in the NHL.

This is more drafting department then GM, since they tell him who to pick. Unless your GM is head of scouting.

Whats going to classify as a homerun pick? Id say anyone who's selected outside of the top 10 that turn out to be top 6/4 or starting goalies is a homerun pick.

Blues are pretty good at drafting

I don't think we can come up with an exact definition. Personally I don't think that picking McDavid or Eichel was very difficult. In general The player has to exceed draft day expectations and perform better than players drafted around them to be considered a homerun in my opinion but this is going to be a subjective question.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
This!

You guys are naming guys that could very well be busts for all you know. How the hell would you know until they acutally PLAY IN THE NHL?

Yakupov, Filatov, Luke Schenn just to name a few "homeruns".

LOL. Maybe some of those players should actually play an NHL game, or become NHL regulars, before you proclaim them "home runs". None of that list are home runs.........yet.

If a player scores 5 points per game in his first full AHL rookie season everyone will call that pick a home run and rightfully so. Performance in lower leagues are generally a good way project what a player will do in the NHL without needing to see him play in the NHL.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
Hextall has only been GM since 2014 so they're all still pretty much up and coming, but things look very good for a lot of picks. Ivan Provorov is the only one I think that can be labeled a home-run at this point. But there a number of players prospect that look like potential home-runs they just haven't had the chance to prove it at the NHL yet. Many rankings of teams prospect pools recently have had the Flyers group at least top 3 if not number 1 largely due to players drafted under his tenure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad