How many draft homeruns has your team's GM hit?

Dano85

Oct 8, 2016
Werenski
Bjorkstrand
Carlsson
Nutivarra
Milano
PLD
Garikov
Abramov

Pretty happy

I'm liking the look of Josh Anderson as a #95 pick, dont know if id say home run but hes off to a good start this season building on last

and who drafted Benn in the 5th round??

Last edited:
Reactions: iSophagus

lawrence

May 19, 2012
As a Canucks fan, I've been thrilled with the performance of Jim Benning at the draft table.

By my estimation he has hit homeruns on the following players:

Brock Boeser
Elias Pettersson
Thatcher Demko
Adam Gaudette
Nikita Tryamkin

My question to you is, how many draft homeruns has your GM hit and who are they?

Way too early to call Peterson, Demko and Gaudette home runs. Tryamkin is not much of home run either if he never comes back to the NHL. too early for us to call anything a home run, that said Boeser is the closes thing. Does Forsling count as a home run? he was drafted by Benning and is currently an active player not he Blackhawks.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
DW has found some gems in the later rounds but a lot of his 1st & 2nd round choices have stunk.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Anaheim is indeed a monster when it comes to drafting in the 1st round

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Jesper Bratt has played 12 NHL games but he looks like the real deal, amazing for a 6th rounder just a year ago

Reactions: Kelly

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Nico
Bratt

I do think that Walsh, Boqvist and Talvitie will also be up there in a few years. Not to mention McLeod and Zacha will be good players going forward

I'm excited for Zetterlund also. And if Popugaev puts it together over in russia he could be another one.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
No doubt he will get over that hump. He is a special player and will be a homerun soon enough :)

You're basing his apparent regression off the same sample you're using to say that Dunn can't be called a homerun, yet. Why is that good enough to say one and not the other?

If you look at Parayko's body of work, he has two regular seasons and five playoff series of performing as a top 4 defenseman. Even if that's all he ever is, that's still a homerun for a 3rd rounder. He doesn't have to get over any hump to change that.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Dorion has been part of a organization since 2007-08 (started as chief amateur scout) and has been part of our drafting process since then.

Since then we have had

Karlsson (1st)
Smith (3rd)
Borowiecki (5th)
Silfverberg (2nd)
Lehner (2nd)
Wideman (4th)
Hofffman (5th)
Stone (6th)

Zibanejad (1st)
Prince (2nd)
Pageau (4th)
Claesson (5th)
Dzingel (7th)
Ceci (1st)

Additionally our top prospect are all recently picked and many are later round picks

Harpur (4th)
Englund (2nd)
Chabot (1st)
White (1st)
Chlapik (2nd)
Jaros (5th)
Brown (1st)
Formenton (2nd)
Batherson (4th)

Obviously those prospect are still up in the air but generally speaking they are looking good. Some will work out and some wont but taht is one of the better prospect pools in the NHL.

Dorion may or may not be the main factor in many of those picks but since he has been in our organization we have consistently been getting NHL quality players form the draft and that is huge. some are stars, soem are middel 6 forwards / second pair D (or bottom pair) but just the quanity is what is greta to see.

Sens are very lucky to have such a great scouting staff.

Bolded who i feel has been the best/most home run like picks of the group.

Reactions: iSophagus

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Couple of homeruns and a couple of strikeouts with the bases loaded.

Tavares was a slam dunk so I won’t count him.

Spurgeon Hamonic Cizikas Lee were homeruns.

Barzal Beauvillier snd Ho-Sang look like homeruns.

Sorokin and Aho have homerun potential.

Last edited:

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
We seem to hit a home run in the 1st round every time (don't bring up Stanley), but just summing it up:

-Scheifele (1)
-Trouba (1)
-Morrissey (1)
-Ehlers (1)
-Connor (1)
-Laine (1)
-Roslovic looks like a sure bet (1)
-Lowry (2)
-Copp is pretty ok (4)
-Poolman looks pretty 0k (5)
-Hellebuyck (5)

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
While I'm encouraged by Dallas' first three picks in 2017, Nill has been frustratingly bad. There isn't any evidence of Jim Nill home runs in the draft.

He's making a living off the Seguin trade and some other shrewd trades but his drafting is abysmal. It can't be just bad luck or the "crapshoot" nature of the draft. He needs to hope someone like Hintz or Tufte randomly become top six material because on paper there is nothing remotely close to a blue chip forward in the organization. Gurianov looks like a bust and was a crap selection at the time and everyone knew it.

Just talking about the Stars drafting history since basically Brendan Morrow makes me f***ing irate and drives me to the bottle.

Last edited:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
:ducks2

Bob Murray has been drafting for the Ducks since 2009, although most credit goes to head scout Martin Madden and the rest of the scouting staff.

Anyway, here all the picks since 2009 that I consider good selections. I'd say there's a couple of homeruns in there.

Kyle Palmieri (2009, 1st round, #26 overall)
Sami Vatanen (2009, 4th round, #106 overall)
Cam Fowler (2010, 1st round, #12 overall)
Chris Wagner (2010, 5th round, #122 overall)
Tim Heed (2010, 5th round, #132 overall)
Rickard Rakell (2011, 1st round, #30 overall)
John Gibson (2011, 2nd round, #39 overall)
William Karlsson (2011, 2nd round, #53 overall)
Josh Manson (2011, 6th round, #160 overall)
Hampus Lindholm (2012, 1st round, #6 overall)
Frederik Andersen (2012, 3rd round, #87 overall)
Jaycob Megna (2012, 7th round, #210 overall)
Shea Theodore (2013, 1st round, #26 overall)
Brandon Montour (2014, 2nd round, #55 overall)
Ondrej Kase (2014, 7th round, #205 overall)

Reactions: Mallard

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Until one or more lead the Leafs to a Stanley Cup my list will remain empty.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Aho was a home run in because of what he did after he was drafted not before.

You have a good point about Luke Schenn. He was supposed to be a very good player based on his rookie NHL season but he catastrophically regressed. But that doesn't mean he wasn't a homer in after his rookie season. He was. These things change based on new information. McDavid was a good pick but if he suddenly regresses to the point where he never scores another point after today then Edmonton fans would rightly wish they drafted Eichel.

Sounds a little like you're going for the "smartest guy in the room" look by talking up prospects as homerun draft picks. If you want to have a valuable discussion about "homerun" type picks in the NHL in recent memory you will need to concede the fact that to make the list a guy can't not succeed. By definition, a prospect is not a full time NHL player. Until a player produces in the show it's all just potential of varying degrees to be a homerun pick.

This isn't being pedantic it's just the way it is with most sports fans. Nobody in baseball would make a list of (pardon the pun) homerun draft picks/FA signings that haven't put in at least half a season of MLB games or produce with the best in the game pretty much straight out of the shoot, i.e. Aaron Judge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad