How long until Mcdavid takes over league lead in points?

How many games played by Mcdavid before he leads the league?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I thought McDavid had zero chance to win the Art Ross last season with how Stamkos and Kucherov exploded out of the gate last year, but considering the Oilers have only scored 5 goals and he already has 5 points, things will likely only get better for him as time goes on. He is the best player in the league for a reason.

And technically - 5 points in 3 games is a 136 point pace. It's by no means a bad start. It's just not as exciting of a start as the Tampa players last year, or Tor this year.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I am not sure he will/can catch him, Matthews is almost as if not as good as Mcdavid and the support the guy has is far and away superior to what McD has in Edmonton, he is basically the only guy opponents have to key on on that team and everyone knows it.

I actually don't like Connors chances unless that changes, he needs help out there.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm guessing around game 20, we'll see him soar up the ladder.
The start in Europe wasn't the best go for the league; I know they like growing the game and stuff, but it really starts the season off weird.

The guy's still the best player in the league. It's hard to peg players 3-6 games into the season.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
I voted he won't catch up. I said in the off season Crosby has another Ross in him and I'm sticking to it.

I'd be SHOCKED if Matthews wins the Ross tbh (short of any major injuries). It would be really fun if he did though and had a monster season - but I expect he tapers off around 100 points or so, and a couple of other players pass that.

He's playing like absolute garbage right now, unlike his stats would indicate

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
McDavid will finish with more points, but it won't be a lot more. I predicted before the season that McDavid would finish with 117 so I'm sticking with that, but I think Matthews finishes over 100 and maybe around 110 if he stays healthy so let's hope both play all 82.

Curious what makes you think Connor only margianally improves whereas Auston makes a huge 20+ point jump (on pace)?

I think Matthews can hit potentially (maybe not this year but close) but I also think McD can put up 120+ as well, it doesn't seem reasonable to have such a disparity of improvement on 2 similar aged players that are already near the top of the league?

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Well last year he literally won the art ross because he wanted to. So it's more so up to him

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Chia is doing everything in his power to help Matthews...wait until the next trade and McDavid's best linemates will be Scottie Upshall and Brandon Saad.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Curious what makes you think Connor only margianally improves whereas Auston makes a huge 20+ point jump (on pace)?

I think Matthews can hit potentially (maybe not this year but close) but I also think McD can put up 120+ as well, it doesn't seem reasonable to have such a disparity of improvement on 2 similar aged players that are already near the top of the league?

You think McDavid will score more than 117 points? You don't think Matthews can score 84-94 more points in the next 75 games when he's now getting consistent powerplay time on the best unit in the league, especially since it's pretty clear that it's helping so far?

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
You think McDavid will score more than 117 points? You don't think Matthews can score 84-94 more points in the next 75 games when he's now getting consistent powerplay time on the best unit in the league, especially since it's pretty clear that it's helping so far?

I think AM will put up ~90/95 pts this year which I think is pretty reasonable. You are expecting AM to put up ~90 pts in the next 75 games based on a 7 game sample size where least year he did 60 games at PPG pace - I totally get that he is getting PP1 opportunities now but I think it's a mistake to use these 7 games as indicative of the rest of the year. Look at Stammer/Kuch last year - they were putting up 140 pt pace much further in to the season than AM has and fell off by the end so it definitely happens.

I could be wrong of course and I'd be happy if I was (AM is on my fantasy team) but I just don't think it's likely that AM improves this huge percent while McD only marginally - again this is all speculation and we will see by then end of the year.
I still think 55 goals and 95 points is a pretty incredible season and a pretty marked improvement over production so far.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think AM will put up ~90/95 pts this year which I think is pretty reasonable. You are expecting AM to put up ~90 pts in the next 75 games based on a 7 game sample size where least year he did 60 games at PPG pace - I totally get that he is getting PP1 opportunities now but I think it's a mistake to use these 7 games as indicative of the rest of the year. Look at Stammer/Kuch last year - they were putting up 140 pt pace much further in to the season than AM has and fell off by the end so it definitely happens.

I could be wrong of course and I'd be happy if I was (AM is on my fantasy team) but I just don't think it's likely that AM improves this huge percent while McD only marginally - again this is all speculation and we will see by then end of the year.
I still think 55 goals and 95 points is a pretty incredible season and a pretty marked improvement over production so far.

Kucherov ended up scoring 100 points, and after the first 19 games of last season Matthews was either playing hurt or far from 100%. Not to mention he's clearly an improved player this season points be damned, it's just so obvious watching him he's on another level. If I'm wrong then I guess I'll have to settle for a 90 point two-way player and 50 goal scorer. ;)

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Matthews plays with a young winger who everyone on HFboards declared a bust this offseason who would be a 4th line winger for the rest of his career. He had Ennis a cap dump who lost his spot on his line and on the team. And he has a old Marleau on his line(who has been the worse player on the line) he is mostly just speed in bursts and trying to outhink defenders. Matthews has been creating majority of the offense for his line and getting himself quality chances. Mcdavid plays with RNH (who every oiler fan dubbed a amazing 1st line winger based on chemistry with mcdavid,which may still come to form as season moves on, and basically the oilers better version of Ennis in Ty rattie. Overall they have similar talent on their lines with Mcdavid probably having more established talent who can support him. Matthews has elite players to play on the power play while Mcdavid only has good-great players in rnh, drai
Matthews is also on the second line therefore playing against second line competition. Imagine if Mcdavid played against tier 2 opponents all game.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I think it's safe to say Matthews isn't going to shoot at a 45% clip for the entire season. I think McDavid takes the lead but maybe not until late in the season.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
When do the Oilers catch up to the same amount of games as alot of the other teams? I'm gonna say around then or shortly after that mark. Oilers also have a pretty tough start to the year with travel and teams played so maybe a bit longer. Would be nice if he had a little support from his teammates right now all teams have to do is try to contain McDavid. If another line could start producing would be nice

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
It ain't going to be easy. The leaderboard is littered with a lot of the usual suspects.
Going into the season I thought both Malkin and Marchand could beat him if they played 82 game seasons and both are at 2 PPG.
Seguin, P. Kane, Kuznetsov, Benn, Pastrnak, Ovechkin, etc. are up there.
Then there's Matthews and Tavares whom have shot out of the gates as well.

In the East - Washington, Pittsburgh, Boston and Toronto have some pretty impressive top end talent and lethal power plays - that have stormed out of the gates and there's some pretty suspect defensive teams in the East this year. And that's not even counting Kucherov whom could make a run.

In the West Dallas is the closest to hanging with those four and Seguin, Radulov, Benn combo could rack up a tonne of points, as could Winnipeg's, while P. Kane and Johnny Hockey are still there.

It might depend on whether The Oil fall out of the picture sooner than later and teams just kinda breeze through with their back-ups and whether they can get their power play to be at least decent.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Didn't McDavid really take off once the Oilers were pretty much eliminated from playoff contention? Maybe the pressure was too much when the games mattered...
It's been well documented that he played while sick and not taking time off most likely made it drag out lo longer than it needed to.

Reactions: TDK88

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Marleau (47pts last year) and Kapanen (9pts last year) ???

hasnt he had a healthy dose of RNH/Draisaitl/Lucic in his career? not exactly scrubs
Matthews has only played with one dude who was a legit 50+ pt guy, and he hasnt even played a game this year
On HF, the only time Draisaitl isn't an overrated scrub who is a product of McDavid and Lucic isn't the worst player in the league is when it's a McDavid poll. Make a Draisaitl vs Nylander poll and McDavid is suddenly a God who gives him everything.

He and RNH have probably played a total of 10 games together since McDavid came into the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad