How long until Mcdavid takes over league lead in points?

How many games played by Mcdavid before he leads the league?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Didn't McDavid really take off once the Oilers were pretty much eliminated from playoff contention? Maybe the pressure was too much when the games mattered...
Yeah I'm sure that was it. Or maybe you should look at his stats down the stretch the year he made playoffs, you know when pressure was at an all time high to break a decade playoff drought. Maybe, just maybe McDavid heats up as the season goes. There's not 2.5 seasons of history to back that up or anything.

Reactions: Future GOAT

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
McDavid will finish with more points, but it won't be a lot more. I predicted before the season that McDavid would finish with 117 so I'm sticking with that, but I think Matthews finishes over 100 and maybe around 110 if he stays healthy so let's hope both play all 82.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Yeah I'm sure that was it. Or maybe you should look at his stats down the stretch the year he made playoffs, you know when pressure was at an all time high to break a decade playoff drought. Maybe, just maybe McDavid heats up as the season goes. There's not 2.5 seasons of history to back that up or anything.

You're probably right. Plus at this point it's possible McDavid realizes the games don't matter all year so he can go nuts whenever.

Reactions: Caitlyn Jenner

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
quick math here:

the lowest scoring team last season was Buffalo at 199 goals for (2.43 goals a game)
by that sound logic McDavid will hit 100 points by game 41 and 48.6 points by game 20

21-30 is the answer here (51-73 points)

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
quick math here:

the lowest scoring team last season was Buffalo at 199 goals for (2.43 goals a game)
by that sound logic McDavid will hit 100 points by game 41 and 48.6 points by game 20

21-30 is the answer here (51-73 points)
And still wouldn’t beat Gretz.... how ridiculous haha.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
If I have learned anything the last few years, it's never count McDavid out lol I will never bet against him

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Oilers finish the season with 120gf and McDavid finishes with 125 points.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Imagine McDavid with the linemates Matthews has. Wow that would be something.

I’m guessing it will take him 30-40 to catch up

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
I don’t think he leads the league in points this year. I still think he’s the best player in the NHL but the oilers are trash.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Didn't McDavid really take off once the Oilers were pretty much eliminated from playoff contention? Maybe the pressure was too much when the games mattered...

Going by that logic and judging by how the Oilers look so far - im guessing you voted 11-20?

Reactions: TDK88

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Matthews plays with a young winger who everyone on HFboards declared a bust this offseason who would be a 4th line winger for the rest of his career. He had Ennis a cap dump who lost his spot on his line and on the team. And he has a old Marleau on his line(who has been the worse player on the line) he is mostly just speed in bursts and trying to outhink defenders. Matthews has been creating majority of the offense for his line and getting himself quality chances. Mcdavid plays with RNH (who every oiler fan dubbed a amazing 1st line winger based on chemistry with mcdavid,which may still come to form as season moves on, and basically the oilers better version of Ennis in Ty rattie. Overall they have similar talent on their lines with Mcdavid probably having more established talent who can support him. Matthews has elite players to play on the power play while Mcdavid only has good-great players in rnh, drai

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
a while. he needs 12 points to pass a guy that is absolutely on fire

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
McDavid is involved in 100 percent of the oilers goals. In fact, I would be shocked if the Oilers scored a goal and McDavid didn't get a secondary assist.
He may take over the lead by Christmas but I'm sure Matthews has other plans.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
If Matthews keeps this up, he may not catch him. I think McDavid will catch him around the halfway mark though. McDavid will end with around 110, Matthews should be good for 100 this year.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Marleau (47pts last year) and Kapanen (9pts last year) ???

hasnt he had a healthy dose of RNH/Draisaitl/Lucic in his career? not exactly scrubs
Matthews has only played with one dude who was a legit 50+ pt guy, and he hasnt even played a game this year

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I voted he won't catch up. I said in the off season Crosby has another Ross in him and I'm sticking to it.

I'd be SHOCKED if Matthews wins the Ross tbh (short of any major injuries). It would be really fun if he did though and had a monster season - but I expect he tapers off around 100 points or so, and a couple of other players pass that.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I voted he won't catch up. I said in the off season Crosby has another Ross in him and I'm sticking to it.

I'd be SHOCKED if Matthews wins the Ross tbh (short of any major injuries). It would be really fun if he did though and had a monster season - but I expect he tapers off around 100 points or so, and a couple of other players pass that.

I can’t see Crosby doing it, his last couple years have been very consistent with points besides a peak year.

Doesn’t matter anyways, the guy is a legend

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I can’t see Crosby doing it, his last couple years have been very consistent with points besides a peak year.

Doesn’t matter anyways, the guy is a legend

I feel as though he showed last year in the playoffs how much he had left in the tank to go on another monstrous post season run (and hopefully a cup run) - but then Pens got eliminated and he was probably quite pissed about it.

My theory is that - he won't want to leave as much on the table this year if his team disappoints again in the playoffs (relatively speaking of course - u cant always win the cup, so i dont think Pens season was a disappointment per se) - and he may be tempted to push himself a lot more during the season.

I still think he has another Ross in him.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I thought McDavid had zero chance to win the Art Ross last season with how Stamkos and Kucherov exploded out of the gate, but considering the Oilers have only scored 5 goals and he already has 5 points, things will likely only get better for him as time goes on. He is the best player in the league for a reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad