How long is Murray's leash?

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I would assume that his leash is $18.75M long.

He's not going anywhere, and for Dorion to save face, Murray is going to get a ton of support.

For what it's worth, I think he's going to be a lot better next season (barring injury). Like how he was in those 5 games. My thinking is there won't be much roster turnover so defensive systems will be much better to start the year, the team will have a full camp, and they won't have to play Edmonton 7 or 8 times.

If what's been said is true, that he's been trying to change his style of play to suit the current NHL, then I'm hoping with all the hope I have that he's working his balls off this summer to really hammer that home and establish it as his instinctual style of play.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

He's not going anywhere, and for Dorion to save face, Murray is going to get a ton of support.

If he is outplayed, Dorion won't care. As long as someone is stopping the puck very efficiently. His leash will remain long if everyone else falters though, but if he gets outplayed internally then he'll be moved.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The team had zero structure over the first 15-20 games. That's what happens when you change over half the roster, don't have a preseason and barely get any practice time. Both Murray and Hogberg got beaten to a pulp.

From Feb 1 on, he went 9-9-0, 2.90, 0.908 in his last 20 games, which is certainly something to build on.

Also, the whole team struggled during the first half road game in particular.

PeriodGP, RecordptsPt/82GPGGAAPPPKSFSA
F14 A14, 3_11_06352.364.7110.063.232.031.6
F14 H14, 6_6_214823.003.0020.084.133.931.2
L14 A14, 6-7-113763.003.5023.780.024.134.7
L14 H14, 8-4-2181052.712.298.387.228.830.9
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Matt Murray took a beating in those games.

MurrayGP, RecordGAASV%TOI
F14 A8, 1-6-05.260.830353:23
F14 H12, 5-5-12.900.909662:40
L14 H1, 0-1-03.060.91458:55
L14 A6, 4-2-02.370.921329:13
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
There are reasons for optimism.

I have been repeating these things all season since the first road trip but I think you're the only poster who seems to see it as well. It was pretty obvious. It's surprising because I'm sure there's a lot of people who played competitive hockey and are able to understand/recognize when a team is lacking structure. It took a while to fix but at the same time not too surprising as there was no real training camp (no exhibition games) and a lot of roster turnover once again, plus a few guys with very low NHL experience.

So as you said, if you just remove all the January games, Matt Murray has had a 0.908 SV% the rest of the way (same as Forsberg 0.909, better than Daccord 0.987 and Hogberg 0.889).

If you remove all Murray road games until the defense on the road was "fixed" (April), he actually has an overall 0.921 SV% for the season

Home games after February 1st :

Gustavsson (5 GS) : 0.942 SV%
Forsberg (4 GS) : 0.933 SV%
Murray (8 GS) : 0.922 SV%
Daccord (3 GS) : 0.911 SV%
Hogberg (4 GS) : 0.895 SV%

Road games after February 1st :

Gustavsson (2 GS) : 0.914 SV%
Murray (10 GS) : 0.894 SV%
Forsberg (4 GS) : 0.889 SV%
Daccord (3 GS) : 0.887 SV%
Hogberg (4 GS) : 0.885 SV%

Look at the difference in games started, of course his overall stats are hurt because he had to face the music on the road all season. Some people were already lamblasting them early on, and I promised them that Hogberg wouldn't do better behind that defense. And it looks like the other goalies also didn't fare better on the road... except Gus in those 2 games I guess (one vs Montreal, the only team we were able to defend properly on the road all season)

Looking at all this, his ability and past success, I know Murray can do the job behind a good/normal NHL defense. No doubt in my mind. And he has totally shown that, once Dorion fixed his own offseason's mess (personnel) and the team improved the structure. It was much faster to fix at home but took most of the season on the road. It was a work in progress but it wasn't really fixed until April. Murray didn't have the luxury of other goalies (except Hogberg) to start their season later when team was improving. But like you said, the team defense/structure for the first ~15 games was awful. I was saying clearly NOT NHL LEVEL at that time.

So because of the awful team start, Murray (who has the "big contract") was quickly identified as a scapegoat (goalies often are, look at Price and Andersen this season). Sure he didn't stand on his head or even played "well", but there wasn't much to do. Very few goalies would have done better behind the terrible defense we had. It was easily the worst I have ever seen at that level, or at least since the 90's

Dorion should have gone after Fleury. Knowing that we had several good/great goalie prospects, Fleury would have been the perfect stop gap for a rebuilding team. Plus we would have gotten an asset attached to him. Plus, we wouldn't have needed to commit to him long term. Once again, not a very calculated move. Murray is like Carey Price, technical/positional goalies that thrive behind a defensive structure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix and Crosside

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I don’t think Murray is a leash beyond 2 bad games. His leash is as long as our playoff spot is secure. The Sens are a desperate team, loyalty to a player because of money Won’t do anything for him - especially with the memory of Gus and Daccors right there and the parks they have the team.

His leash is 4 bad periods of hockey

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
You need a starting goalie, so you do not have to scramble to find a better goalie coach to fix Murray's technical flaws. From every angle, Murray is a bad signing.

Reactions: hn777

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I’d like to protect Gus and would like Murray to be taken by Seattle is my favorite scenario. Spending that money on him when you’re not a high payroll team is insane.

Knowing Dorion, that move was a show off, between two class clowns him and Melnyk. Melnyk is probably in shock over Dadonov, Murray, useless vets and now walking Zub to free agency. Dorion's f*ck up list is so long, probably would reach Mars, before Elon Musk does it.

ToasterStutzle

Aug 10, 2010
Manitoba, Canada
a few thoughts:

- Murray will benefit from not needing the be the every game guy. With Hogberg being absolute swiss cheese he was leading the league in starts pre-injury

-Murray should and will be exposed to Seattle

-Murray is likely the starter all season barring injury or if Forsberg steals his job. Next season Gus will compete for the spot full time and Sogaard will be the Belleville starter fulltime

-His season this year will dictate how much the organization is willing to give Gus the nod in 2022 over Murray. He's playing for more than just starter this season.

-JBD goes to the minors to start this season and we sign or trade for a RD (hopefully we can convince the wild to trade us Dumba for our 1st)

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I don’t think Murray is a leash beyond 2 bad games. His leash is as long as our playoff spot is secure. The Sens are a desperate team, loyalty to a player because of money Won’t do anything for him - especially with the memory of Gus and Daccors right there and the parks they have the team.

His leash is 4 bad periods of hockey
at 6 million dollars, it will last way longer. Try and explaining a starting goalie making 900 K. His backup making 750 K and the 3rd string, sitting in the stands at 6 million.

Dorion and Smith will be sweating this one out.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If he plays like he did coming back from injury and solidifying his new technique with his new goalie coach, he’ll be a solid starter for us.

I don’t think there’s much need for leash talk at the moment. Barring being selected by Seattle if exposed, which they should do if he is realistically, he will be our starter.

He was really good coming back, I think some people forget that. That’s his last body of play going into the offseason, and coming out of it, I’m expecting/hoping, that he carries on from there.

Until we see him fall off after a regular offseason, there really is no need to panic.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I'm really hoping that Murray proves he's a good and stable goalie next year.

At the same time, I think his leash should be pretty short e.g., 30 games into the season, maybe 40. If he underperforms, or he does poorly, its not going to be an easy player/contract to move. I'm pretty comfortable with Gus and Daccord even though I recognize there's some risk going with young goaltenders.

I definitely think the Senators will expose Murray in the ED, but would doubt Seattle take him. If I'm wrong, then good.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think it's fair to say that the risk greatly outweighs the reward in the context of his contract, but it's signed and sealed, so what can you do at this point other than hope for the best and move on if he can't hack it.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think those two cups and his experience, his young age (for a goalie), his excitement to be here and a part of the rebuild, and the changes he’s made to his game, coupled with a regular off season and his young family settling, along with his own role as a new father, will see him be the steadying presence that we very much need on the back end.

We need him to be that for the players in front of him, and we need that for all the goalies behind him.

If we plan on pushing for the playoffs, and even considering making some noise once there, we need Murray to be the Murray we just watched. Gus and Joe can continue to build on the promise they showed this year, and feel the pressure from Soo.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I’d like to protect Gus and would like Murray to be taken by Seattle is my favorite scenario. Spending that money on him when you’re not a high payroll team is insane.
Let’s hope Seattle has worse pro scouting than we do or else there’s no chance they will take him. Maybe Dorian can send them a PowerPoint about his early success

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

For what it's worth, I think he's going to be a lot better next season (barring injury). Like how he was in those 5 games. My thinking is there won't be much roster turnover so defensive systems will be much better to start the year, the team will have a full camp, and they won't have to play Edmonton 7 or 8 times.

If what's been said is true, that he's been trying to change his style of play to suit the current NHL, then I'm hoping with all the hope I have that he's working his balls off this summer to really hammer that home and establish it as his instinctual style of play.

I think Murray will get better but I am not sure if that will be enough to earn his salary.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Nowadays, I have so little confidence in any goaltender from year to year that it doesn't really matter who it is.

I like a Murray-Gustavsson tandem as you have both the vet and the younger goalie, and I'd be happy to put either guy in the net on opening night.

I don't think it really matters which one of them has the better season, as long as one of them does, and that they get to play more often.

Sure, it's awkward to pay your back-up much less than your starter, but that's the luxury of veterancy.

Just play the better goalie.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
It's unlikely that Seattle picks Murray up at his price if Dorion exposes him in the Expansion draft (as he should). I don't see any attraction in picking up a goalie at $20M owed for the next 3 years who just came from back to back seasons that went from bad in Pittsburgh to worse in Ottawa. 2 cup wins by a Pittsburgh dynasty led by Sid the Kid in the past doesn't nullify the fact that his game has regressed in the past few seasons.

Murray is likely coming back next season and I hope he can find his game to be a capable #1G. Otherwise, he can play an expensive veteran role in a platoon situation with Gus (hopefully) or Daccord. Not sure how many goalies teams will carry moving forward, but Forsberg can usher in the young goalies before they take their full-time role in the regular line-up.

Either way, pretty sure the Murray contract is giving Melnyk ulcers and Dorion new assholes.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
If he is outplayed, Dorion won't care. As long as someone is stopping the puck very efficiently. His leash will remain long if everyone else falters though, but if he gets outplayed internally then he'll be moved.

If Murray gets outplayed internally then I don't see anyone wanting to take that contract. That's not the contract of a guy that should get outplayed internally. Maybe in 2 years someone would take it.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
If he plays like he did coming back from injury and solidifying his new technique with his new goalie coach, he’ll be a solid starter for us.

I don’t think there’s much need for leash talk at the moment. Barring being selected by Seattle if exposed, which they should do if he is realistically, he will be our starter.

He was really good coming back, I think some people forget that. That’s his last body of play going into the offseason, and coming out of it, I’m expecting/hoping, that he carries on from there.

Until we see him fall off after a regular offseason, there really is no need to panic.

I agree with this. I still think he can be a quality keeper. Didn't love the trade, really didn't like the contract but he's here now and in his latest showings he's looked like a quality goalie again. I think his contract acts as de facto expansion protection, so protect the next best guy, but that doesn't mean I don't think he can return to form next year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think they protect Murray given the contract PD gave him, I don't think Gus & Daccord have enough experience for Seattle to take a chance on them when there could be a number of other NHL goalies available to them. They might even take Forsberg over the young goalies to have a decent backup although I think there could be better options out there.

I think Tierny is the guy they end up taking, a utility vet player who can play up & down the lineup & give them 30 to 40 pts per season & play on their PK. What could be interesting is the side deals they can make & whether Ottawa could take advantage of something in a three way deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad