How long is Murray's leash?

ToasterStutzle

Aug 10, 2010
Manitoba, Canada
Assuming we protect Gus and Seattle takes one of our forwards/Daccord we will have a 4/5 goalie logjam.

Murray- Anticipated Starter
Forsberg- Likely Backup
Gustavsson- AHL Starter
Daccord/Sogaard- AHL Backup

After seeing the (albeit small) sample size from Gustavsson and Sogaard knocking at the door in the AHL, how long does Murray get to prove that he is the guy this season. Will it need to be due to injury for it to happen or will the organization have an idea of when the time is time?

Thoughts?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He has two cups, is young, and was playing excellent hockey after coming back from injury with his new goalie coach.

He’ll get a long leash as Gus has played a small handful of NHL games, with little to no adversity, and Soo has played a handful of excellent AHL games and very likely won’t see any NHL time next season.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
As I just posted in another thread :

No need to worry about Murray, he'll be fine next season if the team really figured out how to play defensively (particularly on the road) and keeps improving the overall "team defense". We also won't face offensive powerhouses like Leafs/Jets/Oilers as often.

He had 0.954 SV% and 2 shutouts in the 5 games he played after coming back from injury (hottest NHL goalie in April). Some will say small sample size, of course but his job was much much easier than early in the season and that's why it was easy to do the job in that stretch.

That being said, he'll have to stay healthy, at least more than he did the last few season. A goalie needs to play and shake the rust to really be in a "groove"

Reactions: Matsens15

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
He has another season at least. Forsberg is probably here until trade deadline if not earlier (when another teams goaltending goes to shit). Murray will have until Gus gets called up to be the main guy and then will have to fight gus off if his numbers suck

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
If we lose Daccord or Gus in the expansion, his only true competition is whoever remains.

Soogard needs more pro experience, Forsberg is a back up and not a true threat to his job long-term. If we keep Gus and he outshines Murray, we’ll roll with the two of them until Gus needs to be paid and we can’t afford both - which will be helpful if we’re a playoff team as Murray has experience no one else in the entire org has. I expect they will give Murray many opportunities for this exact reason.

Basically, for at least next season, Murray’s leash is strong imo. After that it will get shorter each year if he’s not performing at a high level.

Reactions: NB613

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I'd give him 30 games. If he's losing us more than he's winning us games e.g. more backbreaking game losing goals than standing on his head winning games, he becomes back up to one of the kids.

To start the season however, rotation of the three goalies in the AHL for 25-30 games each. Low load to avoid injuries but enough to keep them fresh, with another 5-10 each in the ECHL.

hopefully that will be up to the Seattle coach and if it's not I hope Murray rebounds and makes some good saves on Colin White when the boys play the Kraken
:laugh:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
longer than Pierre Groulx's. Still can't believe he lost his job over Murray's start when it was widely known Murray was revamping his game and had virtually zero game conditions from when he started pre trade with the Penguins and when he started with the Sens .. with a new goalie coach. CYA move imo

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He already got his retirement contract out of us, so I'd say they have no choice but to hope he gets his shit together and earns some of it. The leash will be long imo because of that.

Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
There are some absolutely brutal takes in this thread and we are only 10 posts deep. SMH

Reactions: Zorf and DJB

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
longer than Pierre Groulx's. Still can't believe he lost his job over Murray's start when it was widely known Murray was revamping his game and had virtually zero game conditions from when he started pre trade with the Penguins and when he started with the Sens .. with a new goalie coach. CYA move imo

This was all well explained by Dorion in his year end presser. He praised the man profusely, but explained that the reality is that sometimes player and coach don’t mix.

As is almost always the case, the coach is shown the door.

Impotent non issue in my opinion. Manufactured outrage.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Lol yes he is, although that doesn't seem as young as it used to in the context of pro sports. I just meant in value. It's his biggest longest term deal that surely sets him up for life compared to his previous earnings.

He’s a NHL goaltender not a NFL running back. Now obviously it depends on how this contract plays out but he more than likely will be looking at minimum a similar contract for his next. Goaltenders usually make their money in their 30’s.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He’s a NHL goaltender not a NFL running back. Now obviously it depends on how this contract plays out but he more than likely will be looking at minimum a similar contract for his next. Goaltenders usually make their money in their 30’s.
Fair point, but that would be hinging on him playing well and getting back to what he was 3 years ago, I was insinuating that I don't think that happens and this is his last sizable contract.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
The team had zero structure over the first 15-20 games. That's what happens when you change over half the roster, don't have a preseason and barely get any practice time. Both Murray and Hogberg got beaten to a pulp.

From Feb 1 on, he went 9-9-0, 2.90, 0.908 in his last 20 games, which is certainly something to build on.

Also, the whole team struggled during the first half road game in particular.

PeriodGP, RecordptsPt/82GPGGAAPPPKSFSA
F14 A14, 3_11_06352.364.7110.063.232.031.6
F14 H14, 6_6_214823.003.0020.084.133.931.2
L14 A14, 6-7-113763.003.5023.780.024.134.7
L14 H14, 8-4-2181052.712.298.387.228.830.9
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Matt Murray took a beating in those games.

MurrayGP, RecordGAASV%TOI
F14 A8, 1-6-05.260.830353:23
F14 H12, 5-5-12.900.909662:40
L14 H1, 0-1-03.060.91458:55
L14 A6, 4-2-02.370.921329:13
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

There are reasons for optimism.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Pretty short leash.

The team will actually have some expectations on their shoulders going into next season, so if Murray has a bad first month, I could see Gus/Forsberg overtaking the #1 spot.

And that is going to be an eye opener, how all these kids deal with real expectations. Our goalies won't be the only ones crushed by that.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Fair point, but that would be hinging on him playing well and getting back to what he was 3 years ago, I was insinuating that I don't think that happens and this is his last sizable contract.

For sure. Just when you say retirement contract it comes across as if there wouldn't be another one like it waiting even if he plays well.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Pretty short leash.

The team will actually have some expectations on their shoulders going into next season, so if Murray has a bad first month, I could see Gus/Forsberg overtaking the #1 spot.

I agree.

Matt Murray has signed a 4 year contract and within the first months his coach got fired because he wasn't playing well. At times during the season DJ Smith mentionned that whoever gives him the best goaltending will be in net. They've talked repeatedly about Murray needing to be better. With goaltending and the impact that goaltenders have on the game, it can go south pretty quickly when you string losses and the backup is playing better than you are. At least Murray gave the team a couple good games at the end here to keep things interesting. If Murray starts the year poorly again, that will mean 3 bad seasons in a row, with 3 different goalie coaches.

Matt Murray is ALREADY on a short leash.

Keep in mind he might not even be protected for the expansion draft. Let's see what happens here, but if Murray isn't protected that sends a clear message IMO. Had he played good he would easily be the goalie we protect.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad