How long have you been a Blues fan?

How long have you been a Blues fan?

• Total voters

StLewis11

Oct 18, 2008
was So.Ill, now SoCA
Back in the early 70's when I was a young kid growing up in small town Marissa Illinois. Was already a big Cardinals fan (Gibson, Brock, Simmons), but nobody that I knew even followed hockey. I remember switching to a Blues game on TV, was intrigued over this sport of hockey, & watched Garry Unger score a couple of goals & thought he was so cool with his long hair. From then on, I was hooked. With my paper route money, I bought sticks, pucks & a goal with net. Later in junior high, our P.E. classes held gym hockey tournaments with plastic sticks & puck, similar to wiffle ball, & I dominated the games. Awsome times!

FinMatt

Apr 11, 2019
Greetings from Finland!

It was early 90's when I started to follow NHL. Same time we collected a hockey cards and I got cards like Hull, Shanahan, Janney, Turgeon etc... Somehow I got many cards of Hull and then I just decided that Blues will be my team!

All these years I had a dream to visit in St Louis. Three years ago I did my pilgrimage ( I don't know can I use that word) and visited in St Louis with my fiance. We were 8 days in St Louis and explored the city.

We saw two Blues game, explored restaurants, bars and just had fun. People were nice and our vacation was brilliant!

I know, there is many mistakes but I watched sports when I should have study english :huh::laugh::nod:Hope you still understand...

LGB!

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Greetings from Finland!

It was early 90's when I started to follow NHL. Same time we collected a hockey cards and I got cards like Hull, Shanahan, Janney, Turgeon etc... Somehow I got many cards of Hull and then I just decided that Blues will be my team!

All these years I had a dream to visit in St Louis. Three years ago I did my pilgrimage ( I don't know can I use that word) and visited in St Louis with my fiance. We were 8 days in St Louis and explored the city.

We saw two Blues game, explored restaurants, bars and just had fun. People were nice and our vacation was brilliant!

I know, there is many mistakes but I watched sports when I should have study english :huh::laugh::nod:Hope you still understand...

LGB!
Crystal clear FinMatt. That's great you got to go to St. Louis and had a great time! Hopefully you found some good 'ol American BBQ and some other unique things to do that St. Louis is known for.

Also, you used "pilgrimage" correctly. ;)

Mar 6, 2012
Was a Cardinal's fan as a child, fell onto the Blues wagon during the Brett Hull years. I think the 89-90 season was when I started paying attention. I was 14/15 at the time.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Burynai

Nov 10, 2010
St. Louis
Sometime around 92-93.....I remember we didn't have cable and couldn't watch a lot of the playoff games. Used to listen to them on the radio. Funny enough, I enjoyed it just as much as watching on the TV. I miss Ken Wilson and he's still my favorite play-by-play announcer of all-time. And that's saying a lot since St. Louis has had some good ones.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Greetings from Finland!

I know, there is many mistakes but I watched sports when I should have study English :huh::laugh::nod:Hope you still understand...

LGB!
Tervetuloa foorumiimme! Now we non- Finns will be able to see if ALL Finns are as wild as Ranksu, or if the air in Lappland causes strange thinking. :naughty:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
When asked, I say I am a LIFE-LONG BLUES Fan . . . pause for three seconds . . . then explain that Life-Long refers to the life of the Blues franchise and not my life. I attended games at the Arena during the 1967-1968 regular season and playoffs and have been Bleeding Blue ever since. (Heck, I even went to games at the Area when the home team wore red, black and white with a now hated Indian Chief emblem!!!)
A CHL Braves fan, eh? I remember when they had Phil Esposito on their team. I even remember The Flyers, St. Louis' AHL team. Were you around when they operated in The Lou?

Reactions: mk80

FinMatt

Apr 11, 2019
Tervetuloa foorumiimme! Now we non- Finns will be able to see if ALL Finns are as wild as Ranksu, or if the air in Lappland causes strange thinking. :naughty:
Kiitos!
People in Lappland is crazy. And the weather too and I think that's the main reason of heavy drinking. And heavy drinking causes strange thinking not the air
Last time I was in Lappland there was so cold that my tongue got stuck to a frozen spoon. And I can tell you it's a hard to be a believable soldier when teaspoon hanging in your mouth :nod:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Kiitos!
People in Lappland is crazy. And the weather too and I think that's the main reason of heavy drinking. And heavy drinking causes strange thinking not the air
Last time I was in Lappland there was so cold that my tongue got stuck to a frozen spoon. And I can tell you it's a hard to be a believable soldier when teaspoon hanging in your mouth :nod:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Yes, we who have spent a winter north of 60 degrees North know that it is the many weeks of darkness that drive people to drink and act crazy. I have a lot of crazy Norwegian friends, and a few Swedish ones too. My brother spent 2 years at Olou University. He's never been the same after that! :shakehead :P :neener::razz: :jk:

Don't worry, FinMatt and Ranksu, my brother didn't stay in Finland. He settled down to live in Stockholm, but he sells tours to Finland and The Baltic countries. Let The Swedes put up with him. :laugh:
Incidentally, he shares a first name with you, FinMatt. His name is also Matt (Matthijs).

Last edited:

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
It's amazing to think that it's nearly been 30 years.

I don't remember exactly when I started watching the Blues. I was a huge hockey fan even when I was 6 years old. I loved the Blues and Mario Lemieux. We moved to St. Louis when I was only a few years old, and my Dad adopted the cities sports teams, so naturally I grew up watching games on TV.

The first specific memory I recall is watching the Blues live at the old barn the year they swept the Blackhawks in the playoffs, so 1993, when I was 8 years old. I went to one of the games, though I don't remember which one. I do remember fans in the stands swinging brooms around and the crowd chanting "BEL-FOUR" every time the puck went near the Hawks goal. There were a couple scuffles in the stands between Hawks and Blues fans in a neighboring section. It was super fun.

I've got a couple other memories from back then too. One year, on my birthday, my Dad somehow got box seats and we went to a game against the Capitals with a bunch of other kids. It was some ridiculous game where both teams scored like 7 or 8 goals.

A lot of memories over the years. Still waiting for that Cup though... here's hoping. The team this year is great.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Think back to your first memory of watching the Blues and realizing you loved hockey and the Blues were your team.

I know, a lot of us have baby pictures in Blues gear our parents put on us but when did you consciously realize you were a Blues fan?
I remember going to games when I was five. Those were the President Trophy days. I remember watching Turgeon and Demitra, Pronger and MacInnis. I remember Reed Low, Mellanby, etc. But I really became a big Blues fan after the first lockout (weird timing, I know) because I enjoyed following the prospects. Hence how I ended up here

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Became a fan of the team 27 years ago, didn't start to be the kind of fan that watches every game until 2011-2012. Still don't understand what people are talking about when they go into topics like "edge work" "hockey sense" "creativity" "if someone is a bad skater" (how does someone who played ice hockey their whole life, & made it to the starting lineup of the NHL a bad skater?) Yes I'm a very slow learner :laugh:

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Became a fan of the team 27 years ago, didn't start to be the kind of fan that watches every game until 2011-2012. Still don't understand what people are talking about when they go into topics like "edge work" "hockey sense" "creativity" "if someone is a bad skater" (how does someone who played ice hockey their whole life, & made it to the starting lineup of the NHL a bad skater?) Yes I'm a very slow learner :laugh:

You and me both.

Reactions: STLomacneko

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
As a kid, I used to play kick hockey during games at the old Barn with crushed beer cups. Also used to line up outside on the ramp waiting for the players to emerge after the game for autographs. An autograph from Chuck Lefley was my favorite. :)

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
As a 9 year old, I was at the Arena for a Stanley Cup Final game when the Bruins destroyed the Blues in 1970.
Bad game, but I loved just being there. There weren't many kids at the games back then. My dad was good to me.

My Dad took me to some games as well during that time frame. I was very lucky. To be honest, some of those games were a little rough around the edges for kids. :)

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
My Dad took me to some games as well during that time frame. I was very lucky. To be honest, some of those games were a little rough around the edges for kids. :)
They were rough and not only on the ice. The crowd would dress in nice clothes but I remember hearing some of the most vulgar language from fans, both men and women, directed toward players and refs.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Think back to your first memory of watching the Blues and realizing you loved hockey and the Blues were your team.

I know, a lot of us have baby pictures in Blues gear our parents put on us but when did you consciously realize you were a Blues fan?
I was 21 years old when The Blues started, and I had loved playing and watching the game already for 16 years when The Blues started playing.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

All things in life are relative, my son. :teach2:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad