How long have you been a Blues fan?

How long have you been a Blues fan?

• Total voters

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Welcome to the club! :poutine: And from now on, remember to pour some ginkobiloba and Omega 3 fatty acids atop your poutine!!! :snide:
Lol, it's what happens when you reach a certain age, have too many taps open, & you're excited to post something :DD

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Yes, we who have spent a winter north of 60 degrees North know that it is the many weeks of darkness that drive people to drink and act crazy. I have a lot of crazy Norwegian friends, and a few Swedish ones too. My brother spent 2 years at Olou University. He's never been the same after that! :shakehead :P :neener::razz: :jk:

Don't worry, FinMatt and Ranksu, my brother didn't stay in Finland. He settled down to live in Stockholm, but he sells tours to Finland and The Baltic countries. Let The Swedes put up with him. :laugh:
Incidentally, he shares a first name with you, FinMatt. His name is also Matt (Matthijs).

Curious, where did you spend your winter north of 60 Robb?

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Curious, where did you spend your winter north of 60 Robb?
Well, I never really spent a full winter north of 60 degrees north. But, I have spent some weeks visiting my brother in Stockholm, which is at 59, and visiting friends in Bergen, Norway (60), Lillehammer, Norway(62), Oslo (60), Helsinki (60), and Churchill, Manitoba (to see the polar bears (58+). I've been within The Arctic Circle (Nordcap, Norway, and Norwegian Lappland and Finmark (but only in summer). I've also been to Northern British Columbia and The Alaskan Panhandle (but only in spring and summer). I live part time in Hillerød, Denmark (57+), and have spent some full winters there. I have enough idea of what spending a whole winter mostly in darkness might be like, and how depressing it must be.

Last edited:

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018
I became a Blues fan when Paul Kariya was signed by St. Louis. He was my favorite player for a long time, so I always followed the teams he played for. When he was in Colorado, I was an Avalanche fan. When he was in Nashville, I became a Predators fan. And then he came to St. Louis, so I became a Blues fan.

He never went to any team after that, you know, because of retirement and stuff, so I stayed a Blues fan.

I love this story. It's a strange one, but I just love it!!

Strange story. I grew up in Leaf land, and in the early '70s collecting and trading hockey cards were all the rage in the schoolyard. I happened to have in my possession a very coveted Jacques Plante card, which I determinedly hung on to. Well, some of the other kids decided to take it by force one day. In fact, they beat me up took all my hockey cards. I bitterly yelled after them something to the effect of "Leafs suck, anyway!" One kid turned around and contemptuously threw a card at my feet. That card was Gary Unger. I thought he was the coolest looking hockey player ever, and I really liked the Blues logo! So, believe it or not, I have been a Blues fan ever since. It just kind of, stuck. (I have hated the Leafs ever since, too! :) ).

This is my other favorite story. I love the more circuitous routes.

-

I became a fan because of my older brother who looked just like Garry Unger.

Played tons of street hockey by the time I was 4-5 years old.

When Dad got home, had dinner and laid in his Lazy Boy, we knew it was time. Steal wallet and run to The Arena.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
When I was around 13 or so I was given the playstation game NHL 2000 (with Pronger on the cover) as a gift, I never watched a hockey game in my life but I became completely obsessed with that video game. So around the 2001-2002 season I started watching the Blues thinking it would be like a real life video game and it didn't disappoint! I've been addicted to watching hockey ever since then.

First game I ever went to was a Blues-Red Wings game in 2008 in St Louis. They lost that game but it made me even more of a rabid fan once I saw the game in person.

Last edited:

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
I made friends in college with a guy from Minnesota in 1992. He just lost the North Stars and needed a new team. The rules were odd to me, but what really got me in to hockey was the Sega Genesis hockey video game. I got to learn who the good players were, the rules, and why positioning was important.

My buddy is no longer a Blues fan. Too much heartbreak he says. But I'll be a fan until the end.

Side note:

I'm still best friends with my buddy. He got free tickets at the end of the year and got hooked again.

The person that made me a hockey fan is a Blues fan again after two decades :)

Reactions: HerpaDerp

Snake Plissken

Apr 23, 2019
88’89’ for me. Cavallini brothers. I was 12 or so and my dad took me to a blackhawks fight and a hockey game broke out. Been hooked ever since. I’ve been living in Germany for the past 10 years so I get up for most games at 2-3a.m. and watch until I have to go to work(I hate OT games). It makes for a long day but I’m a creature of habit. I’m new to hfboards btw, looking forward to talking with Blues fans.

Amberelise

May 8, 2010
Chi-town
This is a fun question because it made me recall a lot of fun (and sad) memories. I remember watching Shanahan and being a big fan of him. So, probably 94-95. I got *really* into hockey when I joined SIUCs roller hockey club which was in 98. I tried for the Blues board moderator board at hockeyboards.com, but KeyserSoze beat me to it, and I was assigned the Avalanche. To build a user base I watched every single Avs game and posted multiple times a day on the Avs board. I became a pretty big Alex Tanguay fan during that time, so split my fandom between the two teams, but always said that no matter what the Blues fans deserved the cup the most and that's where my heart was. Blues fans from hockeyboards.com and later fanhome.com will probably remember me.

I was poor as shit in college and remember saving up my money and going to both Blues Round 1 games against the Sharks in 00. I drove 2 hours each way by myself. I thought that was the year we would win the cup. They ripped my heart out. The next year I went to the game four sweep against the Stars and both Avalanche/Blues WCF games - I was pretty torn during those games, but happy to see Tangers shine in Game 7 of the SCFs for Bourque.

Now that I'm in Chicago (since 03), I go see the boys whenever they're in town, and I try to get to a few games when I'm at home, too. It's nice to be in a sea of blue. I've traveled to watch the team as well and have been to Denver, Dallas, Glendale, San Jose, Buffalo, St. Paul, Detroit, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Nashville. I've put a lot of time, money, and heart into this team. I haven't felt the way I do about this year's Blues team since 2000. I'm scared to death of having my heart ripped to pieces again. Game 3 nearly did me in. I've waited a long time. My hat is off to those of you that have been around since '67. My god, it's brutal.

Snake Plissken

Apr 23, 2019
This is a fun question because it made me recall a lot of fun (and sad) memories. I remember watching Shanahan and being a big fan of him. So, probably 94-95. I got *really* into hockey when I joined SIUCs roller hockey club which was in 98. I tried for the Blues board moderator board at hockeyboards.com, but KeyserSoze beat me to it, and I was assigned the Avalanche. To build a user base I watched every single Avs game and posted multiple times a day on the Avs board. I became a pretty big Alex Tanguay fan during that time, so split my fandom between the two teams, but always said that no matter what the Blues fans deserved the cup the most and that's where my heart was. Blues fans from hockeyboards.com and later fanhome.com will probably remember me.

I was poor as **** in college and remember saving up my money and going to both Blues Round 1 games against the Sharks in 00. I drove 2 hours each way by myself. I thought that was the year we would win the cup. They ripped my heart out. The next year I went to the game four sweep against the Stars and both Avalanche/Blues WCF games - I was pretty torn during those games, but happy to see Tangers shine in Game 7 of the SCFs for Bourque.

Now that I'm in Chicago (since 03), I go see the boys whenever they're in town, and I try to get to a few games when I'm at home, too. It's nice to be in a sea of blue. I've traveled to watch the team as well and have been to Denver, Dallas, Glendale, San Jose, Buffalo, St. Paul, Detroit, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Nashville. I've put a lot of time, money, and heart into this team. I haven't felt the way I do about this year's Blues team since 2000. I'm scared to death of having my heart ripped to pieces again. Game 3 nearly did me in. I've waited a long time. My hat is off to those of you that have been around since '67. My god, it's brutal.

Ugh...00’ Blues. I bought the playoff package tickets that year. They sold tickets for round 1&2 and it took forever to get reimbursed for the round 2 tickets. I don’t think they ever got that cocky again. I remember just sitting in my seat staring at the empty ice for hours it seemed. Brutal year. The cycling Slovaks...

Snake Plissken

Apr 23, 2019
E431F3C6-794A-44BF-AA27-F8E7F6C5A1CC.jpeg

Attachments

• D641CF84-F2F8-447A-A516-F2F30EA54634.jpeg
    D641CF84-F2F8-447A-A516-F2F30EA54634.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 3

Jim ODonnell

Dec 20, 2018
I can't remember NOT being a Blues fan, so it all started pretty young for me in the early 70s, in a big family with plenty of older siblings and older cousins and friends to follow into it . . . it was part of the environment.

The earliest specific player I remember was Garry Unger, the earliest memory of attending a game was my older brother's friend pointing out Bob Gassoff, explaining to me the enforcer's role.

I've lived away from St Louis for over 30 years, and I have 2 yellow seats (Arena Circle) where I now sit to watch and listen to the Blues.

Jim ODonnell

Dec 20, 2018

I was poor as **** in college and remember saving up my money and going to both Blues Round 1 games against the Sharks in 00. I drove 2 hours each way by myself. I thought that was the year we would win the cup. They ripped my heart out. The next year I went to the game four sweep against the Stars and both Avalanche/Blues WCF games - I was pretty torn during those games, but happy to see Tangers shine in Game 7 of the SCFs for Bourque.

. . . I've put a lot of time, money, and heart into this team . . .

Oh honey, I'm right there with ya . . .

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
88’89’ for me. Cavallini brothers. I was 12 or so and my dad took me to a blackhawks fight and a hockey game broke out. Been hooked ever since. I’ve been living in Germany for the past 10 years so I get up for most games at 2-3a.m. and watch until I have to go to work(I hate OT games). It makes for a long day but I’m a creature of habit. I’m new to hfboards btw, looking forward to talking with Blues fans.
Welcome aboard!

Reactions: Snake Plissken

FrenchBlue

Apr 10, 2019
Paris
Greetings from Paris, France

I love St Louis Blues, I am Following yours posts every day , and I am decided to log in me finally , my name is Aymeric , and I follow St Louis Blues results since Philippe Bozon has been 1st NHL french player , to play here .
I am sure St Louis will win Stanley cup this year .
BozonBlues.jpg

Attachments

• BozonBlues.jpg
    BozonBlues.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad