How long have you been a Blues fan?

How long have you been a Blues fan?

• Total voters

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Think back to your first memory of watching the Blues and realizing you loved hockey and the Blues were your team.

I know, a lot of us have baby pictures in Blues gear our parents put on us but when did you consciously realize you were a Blues fan?

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I became a Blues fan when Paul Kariya was signed by St. Louis. He was my favorite player for a long time, so I always followed the teams he played for. When he was in Colorado, I was an Avalanche fan. When he was in Nashville, I became a Predators fan. And then he came to St. Louis, so I became a Blues fan.

He never went to any team after that, you know, because of retirement and stuff, so I stayed a Blues fan.

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Went to a Sabres-Blues game in '97. My dad got his boss's tickets like two rows behind the Blues' bench. Fight broke out right in front of us. It was great and I remember watching as many games as possible from then on. Didn't start getting very serious and studying the draft and the prospects etc. until early 2000s. Jay McClement was the first prospect I remember being excited to see.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I moved to St Louis in 2005 and was gifted a pair of tickets to a game from a kind colleague. She was pretty down about the team (I had no idea about the recent Pronger trade, or how they were the worst team in the league at the time). We went (my son was 5y old) and had a blast. Tickets were cheap, so we went to several games that year. I've followed the team closely ever since, even though we only lived in St Louis for 3 years. My son is about to graduate from high school in a couple months, and time has flown by.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
My uncle got me hooked in 95/96 but I was very young. So I liked the Blues but by no means an expert. The San Jose series kinda curbed my enthusiasm....Owen f***ing Nolan......

Bout that time I was a mid/late teen so my attention was drawn to other activites. I always kept tabs on the team but I wasnt able to really become an avid informed fan till I controlled my own media exposure till around 2010ish moving forward .

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
Born in 84, I grew up in Troy, IL. My aunt babysat me and my siblings and she was a big hockey fan, so we always watched the games when they came on. My grandpa was Jim Bolen, KMOX people might remember that name. Between the two of them, got to see a lot of Blues games. Learned to hate Chicago from a young age, naturally. Can't remember much of the late 80's teams, but I loved Hull and Oates and Shanahan. My first favorite player was CuJo.

My fandom would take a turn, though. My aunt would take us to games vs. the Nordiques, hoping for an easy win. Seems like Joe Sakic always lit us up. I loved the Nords' blue jerseys, too--things a child notices, I guess. My family moved to Kansas in 96, same year the Nords moved to Colorado. I was still a Blues fan, until that damned Stevie Y slapshot. I hated the Wings. Hopped on the Avs bandwagon for the rest of the post-season ... but seeing them beat the piss out of Detroit, then go on to win the Cup, hooked me.

Remained an Avs fan for the next 20 years. But ROR was my favorite player since Forsberg, and the way management treated him (and other players over the years, tbh) ticked me off. Decided if he got traded, I'd go where he was going. That led me to Buffalo, which was ... ahem ... interesting, and now back to St. Louis.

Can't tell you how much it feels like things have come full circle. I hope ROR plays the rest of his days out in STL, but I'm pretty sure I'm back for good.

... Unless we do some insanely short-sighted Buffalo/Colorado shit in the off-season and start dragging ROR's name through the mud and trade him for a pile of poo. Then who knows. Don't really see that happening here, though. :P

Last edited:

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Think back to your first memory of watching the Blues and realizing you loved hockey and the Blues were your team.

I know, a lot of us have baby pictures in Blues gear our parents put on us but when did you consciously realize you were a Blues fan?
My dad would take me and my older brother to the checker dome to watch them play. I was a fan from as long as i can remember.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I became a Blues fan when Paul Kariya was signed by St. Louis. He was my favorite player for a long time, so I always followed the teams he played for. When he was in Colorado, I was an Avalanche fan. When he was in Nashville, I became a Predators fan. And then he came to St. Louis, so I became a Blues fan.

He never went to any team after that, you know, because of retirement and stuff, so I stayed a Blues fan.
Thats actually really cool. I always wondered what people who just followed their favorite ayer around did after they retired. I figured they found a new player to follow.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Born in 84, I grew up in Troy, IL. My aunt babysat me and my siblings and she was a big hockey fan, so we always watched the games when they came on. My grandpa was Jim Bolen, KMOX people might remember that name. Between the two of them, got to see a lot of Blues games. Learned to hate Chicago from a young age, naturally. Can't remember much of the late 80's teams, but I loved Hull and Oates and Shanahan. My first favorite player was CuJo.

My fandom would take a turn, though. My aunt would take us to games vs. the Nordiques, hoping for an easy win. Seems like Joe Sakic always lit us up. I loved the Nords' turquoise jerseys, too--things a child notices, I guess. My family moved to Kansas in 96, same year the Nords moved to Colorado. I was still a Blues fan, until that damned Stevie Y slapshot. I hated the Wings. Hopped on the Avs bandwagon for the rest of the post-season ... but seeing them beat the piss out of Detroit, then go on to win the Cup, hooked me.

Remained an Avs fan for the next 20 years. But ROR was my favorite player since Forsberg, and the way management treated him (and other players over the years, tbh) ticked me off. Decided if he got traded, I'd go where he was going. That led me to Buffalo, which was ... ahem ... interesting, and now back to St. Louis.

Can't tell you how much it feels like things have come full circle. I hope ROR plays the rest of his days out in STL, but I'm pretty sure I'm back for good.

... Unless we do some insanely short-sighted Buffalo/Colorado **** in the off-season and start dragging ROR's name through the mud and trade him for a pile of poo. Then who knows. Don't really see that happening here, though. :P
I could see ROR staying here. Especially if the Blues stay competitive. Avs / Wings were a fun time. I hated the Avs for having a gift-wrapped team from the get-go. But I am over it now.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Grew up in Lancaster, PA as a Hershey Bears fan (11 time Calder Cup Champions) and still follow them which is why I also like the Caps given their affiliation with the Bears. But we moved to St. Louis in summer of 05 when I was 11 and immediately adopted the Blues and have been a fan since.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It would have been at the tail end of the 1999/2000 season.

I've told the story before that my disabled brother got free tickets to an NFL Europe game and an opposing player, Kurt Warner, spoke with us for a bit and gave us a few things. Followed the NFL that season, but only picked a team when Warner became the Rams starter the following season. After the NFL season finished, started watching hockey and the Blues were the natural choice.

Weird how the first year I follow the Rams they won the Superbowl, the first year I got into baseball and followed the Cards they won the World Series... the first season I started watching the Blues was that defeat to the Sharks

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Good thread.

I'm only 26 but I've been a fan for 20 years.

Even when I was 3 years old I started developing a love for it. My dad is a big fan so he would have me watch games with him (obviously I didn't know what was actually going on, but I LOVED goalies). I just thought goalie gear looked awesome so I became obsessed. I learned who Grant Fuhr was and thought he was amazing because he was a goalie. My parents bought me a Blues goalie helmet, and my mom made me goalie pads made out of foam. I constantly wore both around the house, and would play hockey in our basement all the time.

From there it just continued each year, I would get more and more into it. My first playoff series that I actually remember watching was the Blues-Sharks series in 2000, when I was 7. In the early 2000's is when I realized I really loved this team, and I knew who all the players were. I remember blowing the series lead to the Canucks in '03 and being upset about it.

amosmoses

Aug 26, 2018
My mother in law gave me tickets to a game in the 2008-09 season. I debated about even going because I knew nothing about hockey. I ended up going and have been a huge fan ever since. I’ve gotten several of my friends into hockey since then. I always tell people to just go to a live game and you will be hooked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad