How Long Does it Take for You to Get Over Playoff Elimination?

How Long Does it Take for You to Get Over Your Team's Playoff Elimination?

• Total voters

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It all seems to depend on expectations and how the games were played. I'll never forgive Montreal for knocking out Pittsburgh in 2010. Or Boston for our embarrassing 2013 defeat. And yet the loss to Washington didn't/doesn't even phase me.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

SalsaShark

keep your head up
Dec 3, 2008
The 408
After the sharks lost in the SCF, I tuned out a large portion of the following season. Wasn’t really into the playoffs either.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I have. But not that much.

Well, get to work.

Answering the thread: Really depends on situation/expectations. Years where the Flyers were a top seed and favorite it usually took a while, and every Conference Final or Cup Final takes a day or two to digest. This year, though, I was over it before the playoffs even started.

Reactions: madinsomniac

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
It just depends on how good I felt my team was and what I expected from them. I'm still not over 2017, 2015, and 2009 because I truly believed we were going to beat the teams that eliminated us and I truly believed we had a good shot at the Cup.

Conversely, we got swept this year but I was over it before Game 4 even started.

Last edited:

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
It all seems to depend on expectations and how the games were played. I'll never forgive Montreal for knocking out Pittsburgh in 2010. Or Boston for our embarrassing 2013 defeat. And yet the loss to Washington didn't/doesn't even phase me.

I was ok with the early exit. It was a lot of work winning back to back and as a fan I feel very fortunate to witness that.
Gives them extra time to rest up, heal and retool for another run next season.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
It usually takes a day or two, by the following week it's a distant memory. I can remember getting knocked out in the second round and watching the Final thinking "man it seems like forever ago we got eliminated".

I take it seriously and getting over it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt, it's just that I (unfortunately at times) have an entire life to live and hockey is only a part of it.

This year as a Pens fan is a bit different, not that I'm not already over it, but it's been a while since I had to root against someone after we got eliminated. This year I'm fully vested in watching the Caps lose (though I fear they will win it all this year). It seems like it devalues the Cup if Tom Wilson gets his name on it.

Washington management has ran that franchise so poorly and as much as people whine and cry about the Pens being gifted Crosby and Malkin, the Caps somehow get a pass on being gifted Ovechkin when they weren't even the favorite to win the draft lottery that year. Weird.

So I guess it's a bit odd, but it will take me longer to get over the Caps winning the Cup this year than the Pens not winning it this year, as little sense as that makes.

Reactions: Riptide

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
The 2004 finals were a heartbreaker and 2006 was bad mostly because of Edmonton losing roloson after the first game.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Depends on the situation. As a Caps fan anytime we have lost to the Pens was a tough pill to swallow, even going back to the 80s. The last 2 were especially difficult because if the expectations.
Some seasons I didn't care very much because expectations werent as high. When Jagr was with the Caps I didn't care for the team as much because of my feelings towards Jagr. I still followed the team but when they lost out I wasnt upset by it.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Pens fans are still not over it, judging by their relentless tire pumping of Crosby and the rest.

-Actually, with Washington winning, expect the Penguins and Metro pumping to get even worse. Washington is exposing Tampa and the Atlantic, and the Penguins / Caps with a Caps Cup this year is starting to become head and shoulder above every other rivalry in the NHL. If Washington wins, it makes the Pens look even better the last 10 years.

Reactions: domaug

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
Pens fans are still not over it, judging by their relentless tire pumping of Crosby and the rest.

we are celebrating what they have accomplished, we witnessed greatness and we are grateful

and this is coming from the guy still hurting from 2009, so you shouldn't be so judgmental

Reactions: domaug

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Voted for a week or two. Mind you if the Leafs ever lost in the SCF, I would probably be devastated till the next time they get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad