How Long Does it Take for You to Get Over Playoff Elimination?

How Long Does it Take for You to Get Over Your Team's Playoff Elimination?

• Total voters

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
As the title asks, pretty simple question.

Notable years aside (Hull in the crease or Gretzky's missed high stick type stuff), how long does a playoff elimination for your team stick with you?

Subjective question, but I mean really gut punch you.

bigbuffalo313

Apr 28, 2012
New York
Depends on how far into the playoffs we go. A first or second round exit I’m over it in a day or two, especially if it’s before game 7. Conference finals takes longer no matter the length. And the cup final is devastating and I still think about if one or two plays had gone differently we could have won

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Suppose it depends on the expectations, how they lost, and past success. For example: The Pens losing in double OT in game 7 to the Caps wouldn't hurt as much for Pens fans compared to the roles being reversed
( For Caps fans)

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Losing to LA in the finals in 2014 still makes me sad lol... We gave games away time after time and it was just stupid. LA took advantage of it but still, felt like we gave away game after game in that series when we had the upper hand alot. Think it will take some years before we are close to beeing that good again.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Depends. Last year was tough because of that f***ing 3 goal lead we blew. And other. ...reasons. also depends which team we get eliminated by.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Depends on expectations going into the season/playoffs, how far my team gets, and the manner of elimination. Since I've been watching hockey, this is how I've felt:

2002, eliminated by San Jose in the first round: meh, over it pretty quickly
2010, eliminated by Detroit in the first round in 7: still bitter about this one
2011, swept by Detroit in the first round: I hate you Ilya Bryzgalov
2012, lost to LA in the conference finals: over this one pretty quickly even though it hurt more up front, what a great season

Honorable mention: still heartbroken about losing Super Bowl 43 to the Steelers.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I move on the next day. A few of them have stuck with me longer though, 93 semis, 02 semis, the game 7 collapse.

Reactions: Pi

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Depends the year.

Like this year, I was over it during game 5 of the Devils series while they were trailing because it was a bonus playoff year.

Same for 2011-12 when the Devils made the finals. Disappointing, but that run was epic and unexpected.

In 2008-09 when the Devils had a solid team and allowed two goals in the final three minutes, I may or may not have punched a hole in the wall.

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
Depends on the way the team goes out. I got over the second round losses to Colorado and Dallas in 97/98 because we were underdogs who erased first round 3-1 deficits to get there. The other first round exits around those years weren't tough to get over, as we were low seeds just happy to get in.

2006 Finals loss, I'm not convinced I'm completely over it; too many what-ifs with Roloson's injury/hardly shoeing up for Game 7 after a ridiculous emotional high following Game 6.

Last year's loss to the Ducks took me until about game 5 of the Finals to get over it enough to watch a game. Mostly because we let a great opportunity slip, and not because of the reffing some of us still cry about.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Honestly, it depends on the situation.

As a Ducks fan, 03 is still the worst one for me. Game 7, goalie plays out of his mind, Cinderella team. That one took years. Other playoff losses take a week or two. 13-15 sucked because ducks were contenders. This year, they clearly weren’t good, so I didn’t lose a wink of sleep.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Took me a couple months ago to get over the Ducks loss in 2015. What a magical season that was

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
It's just a game bro.

I am way more upset when I watch a game and refs f***ing suck. Really makes me appreciate sports like golf and tennis where the human error for rule interpretations doesn't exist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad