How long can Marner or Laine hold out and their club can still expect to make the playoffs?

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
The Leafs miss the playoffs if they have to go any extended length of time without Marner to start the season.

The Leafs last season to start off...20-8-0
The Leafs last season for the last 2/3 of the season...26-20-8.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
St Louis proved last year that you can be in last place in the entire NHL and still make the playoffs. Not a great strategy but a possibility.

The Jets playoff hopes hinge more on goaltending and how the new look D can perform then Laine.

Laine of course if he was to have a huge season could help to score the Jets out of trouble.

As long as the Leafs goaltending holds up they should be able to make the playoffs with or without Marner.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The Leafs will make the playoffs if Marner plays 0 games. Laine was a detriment outside of the PP last season and the Jets made it.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It’s not completely ridiculous though. I think Marner is more impactful than Laine.

Toronto only made the playoffs by 2 pts over the cutoff last season and Marner was the architect of their offense. Losing him for long could possibly see them with some drop off.

Reactions: draft day

hockeyguru

Sep 10, 2019
they can hold out for as long as they can because they are replaceable players. both teams will probably make the playoffs with their unsigned player sitting.

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
It’s looking like Puljujarvi won’t play this season and so think most are still expecting the Oil to make the post season. So ya I think it’s possible for Toronto and WINNIPEG.
Most who? Mothers of Oilers players?

Edit: Oh shit I feel so silly this was an obvious joke! mah bad :(

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Last season the Leafs were only 4 pts ahead of the Habs who missed the playoffs. Take Marner off their team and they lose more than 4 pts which would had left them out of a playoff spot last season.
Its almost as if this upcoming season won't play out exactly the same as last season.

Reactions: Mitchy

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I see him winning an art Ross or multiple, but he's not a center nor a former 1st overall, guy also plays with Tavares 5on5 and gets prime pp time so I can see why the team doesn't put him in the Matthews pay bracket as well. Tbh he's my fave leaf at this point in time but the team comes first if he has to be moved or take less than his agent feels he's worth than so be it. Just get it done already

You see Marner winning multiple scoring titles? How many assists is he going to get in a season? 100?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Both teams likely make the playoffs without them.

Both teams would be stupid to let either sit. They’re both entering a cup window, Toronto is looking to lose one of both of Barrie/Muzzin next off-season so they’re going to take a hit next year. Home ice advantage against Boston (who they’ll likely play) is obviously very important for them to finally beat the Bruins, so every game without arguably their best player is a huge loss.

Winnipeg has a couple aging vets playing key roles (Wheeler/Buff) so a missed season without Laine could be catastrophic if they start to slow down by next season.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
People seem to forget Tavares lost the Art Ross by 1 point playing with Kyle Okposo..... he will be fine without Marner.

Leafs are lucky that they have two elite centers, so if Marner sits out it will obviously hurt but it wont sink the team.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Toronto will miss Marner more than they think they will. They might still make the playoffs without him but then depends on how Montreal and Florida perform. If they both take a step forward I think Toronto is the odd one out without Marner. I know he wasn't great in the playoffs (besides the first couple games) but from what I've seen he really drives that team. I know Leafs fans aren't keen on him right now but I think he is their best player - if not best definitely most dynamic.

The Jets aren't a lock to begin with and could easily miss even with Laine he plays like last season. I think they probably make it with or without him but I am really unsure of where they end up next season.

Reactions: Devonator

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Last season the Leafs were only 4 pts ahead of the Habs who missed the playoffs. Take Marner off their team and they lose more than 4 pts which would had left them out of a playoff spot last season.

Leafs defence is significantly better than last years......

Plus if Marner doesn't sign all year they still have something like 10 or 11 million in LTIR contracts they can sue to exceed the cap, so they can get 2-3 good players for the year instead + build up depth.

Taurrax

Jun 20, 2019
Huh? All our young forwards are a year older, Nylander will be there from day one of camp, and our D has been upgraded. Marner is a big loss but expecting us to miss the playoffs without him is ridiculous.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Toronto will miss Marner more than they think they will. They might still make the playoffs without him but then depends on how Montreal and Florida perform. If they both take a step forward I think Toronto is the odd one out without Marner. I know he wasn't great in the playoffs (besides the first couple games) but from what I've seen he really drives that team. I know Leafs fans aren't keen on him right now but I think he is their best player - if not best definitely most dynamic.

The Jets aren't a lock to begin with and could easily miss even with Laine he plays like last season. I think they probably make it with or without him but I am really unsure of where they end up next season.

You're underestimating the impact that Nylander will have for the full season. He can very adequately replace Marner's impact. Not saying he is as good, but just watch him all season long with Matthews and on the #1 pp unit if Marner sits out some of the season. We don't need Marner for 11 M a season to make the playoffs over Florida and Montreal, lol.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I see him winning an art Ross or multiple, but he's not a center nor a former 1st overall, guy also plays with Tavares 5on5 and gets prime pp time so I can see why the team doesn't put him in the Matthews pay bracket as well. Tbh he's my fave leaf at this point in time but the team comes first if he has to be moved or take less than his agent feels he's worth than so be it. Just get it done already

Matthews has never cracked 80 points. Marner just put up a 94 point season. Marner can make just as much money.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Missing Marner will hurt the Leafs.

I think the Jets will be just fine without Laine. Just strictly imo.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
It would be a giant waste of an entire year for both the teams and players. With that said, they can both make the playoffs without said players.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am guessing both teams can make the playoffs without the players mentioned(although not as high as they would with them) so having them show up in December might hurt a little but not enough to their playoff chances(more so Leafs then Jets)

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Laine was almost useless for like....65% of last season and the Jets were fine. I think they could get by. Marner is a bigger impact to lose but the Leafs are still good enough to get in.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
the leafs played bad. no question. a lot of things went bad for them. do you really expect the leafs to play bad again?

I don't understand what you are saying at all. I made no reference to last season.

No, I don't feel they are as good as last year on paper.

Reactions: shortfuze

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad