Newsday: How Jon Ledecky plans to make the Islanders a ‘world-class organization’

Nosebleed40

May 2, 2013

If this is remotely true, then it's quite obvious these 2 turds have no interest in the on ice product. From top to bottom, this organization needs a complete overhaul. There is nothing to ponder at this point. Jerry Reese won 2 Super Bowls during his tenure and he was dismissed after a dismal season. It makes no sense to "ponder". I will not be "pondering" next year if I will watch if this regime is continued.......I know for a fact I will not watch or give them a dime.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
@periferal, did you ever write that letter? I think it’s time we all wrote one if they're only pondering firing snow.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Here's an interesting thing that occurred to me...

If you look at the Islanders "Business Directors" on the website it lists the following:

ISLANDERS OWNERSHIP/EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT

Co-Owner and Alternate GovernorJon Ledecky
Co-Owner and GovernorScott Malkin
Co-Owner and Alternate GovernorCharles B. Wang
Co-OwnerDewey Shay
President, General Manager & Alternate GovernorGarth Snow
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The way it's listed with Scott Malkin as "Governor" and Ledecky as "Alternate Governor" it seems that Malkin has the final say. It fits the notion that Malkin is the real money/businessman behind the Isles purchase (who has his own full-time job), and Ledecky who is the "fanboy" who is running the Isles day to day.

If true it would stand to reason that Ledecky would have his finger on the pulse of the team, but need to get Malkin's approval before doing anything involving big money...Like buying out snow's contract. It certainly feels like something like that might be true.

Also I tried to get more information on Dewey Shay, but who is he in this whole equation and how much say does he have? And does wang still get involved with decisions - Directly or indirectly?

Because are there 2, 3, or 4 voices in the room when the Isles try to make a decision? And if they're pulling in different directions then how will anything get done? Seems like they got on the same page with Belmont, but with front office/on-ice moves that's a completely different story.

I mean how can you accomplish so much with Belmont and get an arena project approved in 18 months...And not make one front office move in that time? Ledecky/Malkin identified that Barclays wasn't working and are getting behind a 1 billion dollar project to fix that, but at the same time have determined that nothing in the front office needs fixing?

It's all too unbelievable for words.

Isn't it common knowledge that Malkin is the muscle and Ledecky is the face?

Wang has said in an interview or two and it's been reported that he has no involvement in the team decisions. I don't know anything about Shay though.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Isn't it common knowledge that Malkin is the muscle and Ledecky is the face?

Wang has said in an interview or two and it's been reported that he has no involvement in the team decisions. I don't know anything about Shay though.

But who is making the decisions...And on what issues?

Like if they need to fire snow...Take me through how that happens. Does Ledecky initiate that? Does Malkin? And who has the absolute final say? Do they both need to form a consensus? Does Malkin let Ledecky make the final on-ice decisions and Malkin handles more business issues...Or vice versa?

And where does Shay fit into all this? Does he have any power/opinions and does he sway Ledecky and Malkin?

I'd love to know the process why which Capuano was let go last year because no way that was initiated by snow. It come down from ownership, but the details of that are what interests me.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Like if they need to fire snow...Take me through how that happens. Does Ledecky initiate that? Does Malkin? And who has the absolute final say? Do they both need to form a consensus? Does Malkin let Ledecky make the final on-ice decisions and Malkin handles more business issues...Or vice versa?

And where does Shay fit into all this? Does he have any power/opinions and does he sway Ledecky and Malkin?

I'd love to know the process why which Capuano was let go last year because no way that was initiated by snow. It come down from ownership, but the details of that are what interests me.

Based on the fact they seem reluctant to let Snow go despite his failures, my best guess is they sit around and flip a coin to make decisions about the franchise.

Malkin provides the coin (money man), Shay flips the coin (silent power behind the thrown), and Ledecky calls heads or tails (voice of the ownership).

Reactions: danteipp

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

giphy.gif

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

With a name like "Dewey Shay", I'm pretty sure he was the guy in Ledecky and Malkin's fraternity at Harvard who organized the keg parties.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Based on the fact they seem reluctant to let Snow go despite his failures, my best guess is they sit around and flip a coin to make decisions about the franchise.

Malkin provides the coin (money man), Shay flips the coin (silent power behind the thrown), and Ledecky calls heads or tails (voice of the ownership).

With a name like "Dewey Shay", I'm pretty sure he was the guy in Ledecky and Malkin's fraternity at Harvard who organized the keg parties.

I'd laugh, but we're the victims of this farse.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
A lot will be clarified in the next couple of weeks. If Snow isn't relieved of his duties, then at least one of the following must be true:

(1) GMGS is absolutely necessary to bring Tavares back.
(2) L&M don't care about Snow, Tavares, fans, on-ice product in general.
(3) L&M are dumb and clueless.

Honestly, I can't think of any other alternatives, apart from fantastic scenarios taken straight out of The X-Files or Proceedings of Flat Earth Society.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
A lot will be clarified in the next couple of weeks. If Snow isn't relieved of his duties, then at least one of the following must be true:

(1) GMGS is absolutely necessary to bring Tavares back.
(2) L&M don't care about Snow, Tavares, fans, on-ice product in general.
(3) L&M are dumb and clueless.

Honestly, I can't think of any other alternatives, apart from fantastic scenarios taken straight out of The X-Files or Proceedings of Flat Earth Society.
(4) Charles Wang included some sort of penalty payment in Garth Snow’s golden parachute that makes telling him to collect his money and stay home untenable.

God I hope this isn’t the case.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
(4) Charles Wang included some sort of penalty payment in Garth Snow’s golden parachute that makes telling him to collect his money and stay home untenable.

Literally the most likely. It was alluded to by Staple and Botta and after the DP and Yashin deals which were handed out by wang is there any doubt?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
@periferal, did you ever write that letter? I think it’s time we all wrote one if they're only pondering firing snow.

Yes I did. Just sent it out actually and I encourage anyone and everyone to do the same. They need to know how we feel no matter what they decide to do with that information.

Anyway if you care to read the letter, here it is:

Dear Mr. Ledecky and Mr. Malkin,

As a 43-year-old Islander fan from Roslyn, Long Island, my heart and soul joined the Islander family as a fan in the mid-80’s, meaning the Islanders have been my favorite team for over 30 years now. I’ve rarely missed a game, traveled long and far to see them play, and spent more money on the team than I care to admit. As much as I love them, to be frank it’s been a truly painful ride enduring the last three decades, but rarely do I ever quit on anything when my heart is involved.

However that loyalty is seriously being put to the test now as I watch my favorite team sink into a world of ineptitude with each passing season. I care too much about the Islanders to not let you know exactly how I, and so many other fans, feel about the current direction of the franchise. So with great respect I am hoping you will hear and appreciate the rather harsh honesty I think that needs to be put on the table in order to identify and improve fortunes for the organization going forward.

We are now at the completion of Garth Snow’s twelfth year as General Manager of the New York Islanders and this will be the eighth time we have missed the playoffs. How is this tolerable for any owners anywhere – Much less ones that want to win a “fifth Stanley Cup?” In what position in any field would any employee still have a job if their results did not improve in over a decade on the job? No organization where the owners truly want to run a “world class” franchise could this be tolerated.

That is why if your goal is truly to be the owners who bring a fifth Stanley Cup to the New York Islanders, then Garth Snow must be fired as President and General Manager effective immediately. This doesn’t mean reassigned or minimized, but totally removed from the Islander organization entirely and replaced with a qualified/elite team President who will be allowed to hire whatever GM he deems appropriate.

I’d be happy to sit down and break down every single draft pick, trade, and free agent signing Snow has performed since July 18, 2006 that justifies his firing, but the only thing that should matter is this – Wins and losses. And in that vein, after 12 years of proven ineptitude, the reality is that we will not win another Stanley Cup with Garth Snow running the Islanders, and the longer he is allowed to remain in his position the longer it will be before a qualified replacement could get us there.
I am a big believer in human psychology and study human behavior. In watching Garth Snow operate over the past decade plus, it is apparent that he continues to massage his place within the Islander franchise where he positions himself as the smartest/most powerful guy in the room. Somehow he got Charles Wang to buy into this and I’m hoping that is not the case with you.

Essentially Garth Snow is looking to surround himself with “yes men” who won’t question his authority. In this regard he is putting his ego before the team, and when your focus is based on hiring the most subservient employees, you are not hiring the most qualified ones. And as a result the Islanders have now wound up missing the playoffs again – Making it eight of his twelve years on the job.

Now I understand that it’s easy for me to sit behind a keyboard and call for Snow’s firing. I also understand that there’s plenty of information that I don’t have access to being a fan and not an owner. But again the information we as fans do have is the Islanders win/loss record under his tenure which is not tolerable to us as paying customers, so why is it tolerable to you? Do you think that someone who hasn’t gotten the job done for 12 years is all of a sudden going to figure it out in year 13? At what point does missing the playoffs wear on you the way it does all of us who you are asking to spend money on the team? Because all the wonderful quotes you have made to the press about the islanders, “winning that fifth Stanley Cup,” sound great, but they’re just hollow words if they’re not followed up with actions that make that a reality.

If we never heard another quote from you and the Islanders did win that fifth Cup, you would be heroes to all of us, as opposed to making all these grand claims and never delivering on them. Season after season of first-round playoff losses, much less missing the playoffs entirely, is not going to all of a sudden magically lead to a Stanley Cup Final without serious, decisive, and meaningful change – Change that has to come from you. Words alone will not get us there.

Therefore every moment that Garth Snow remains as President/GM of the Islanders what you are really saying to the fans is that you are ok with the unbelievable disappointing results of the past 12 years, and for all of us to expect more of the same heartbreak going forward.

The fans are also very aware of the reported extension that Charles Wang gave Snow prior to turning control of the Islanders over to you. We understand that it’s possible you do want to get rid of Snow, but are hampered by his contract in that it could be a very lengthy/lucrative deal for Snow that would cost tons of money to buy out, and/or have other legal ramifications in doing so.

However if you truly want to lead the Islanders to another Stanley Cup, your significant financial resources must be used to solve any problem, and this is the biggest one. Whether the team needs a new training center, a more comprehensive scouting staff, or spend to the salary cap to build a winner, buying out Garth Snow at any cost is an issue that needs addressing and therefore must be done whatever time, energy, and financial resources it costs to do so.

If you can make the Belmont Arena Project happen, then there are no obstacles that cannot be overcome in removing Snow. The only question is – Why haven’t you yet?

And Snow must be fired whether or not John Tavares returns to the team or not. With Tavares we’re still missing the playoffs as a result of Snow’s ineptitude, so hardly a saving grace if he were to resign just to repeat similar seasons going forward. And I shudder to think what it will be like in Islanderland if Tavares does leave as a result of Snow not building a contender all these years, and then you retain Snow as President/GM. You will lose the faith of the fans at an even greater rate than missing the playoffs alone will do.

Mr. Ledecky, you’ve been quoted as saying the following:

“We were talking about stockholders (fans) earlier. What’s the standard? We won the first round. We went to the second round. The standard this year has to be, you won the second round and went to the third round. And eventually you have to hoist the Stanley Cup, because that’s what the fans demand. They demand that excellence, on the ice and off the ice.

“The off-the-ice, I can handle, by giving them a great experience. The on-the-ice, that group has to manage that. They have got the insight. They’ve got the experience to decide who plays goalie, who plays on Johnny’s line and stuff like that, not me. That’s a recipe for disaster.

“Each one of you could talk about an owner who came in and completely rearranged the furniture and is paying for it in years and years of poor performance.”
That quote was from July of 2016 and since then the Islanders, at least on-ice, have clearly gone backwards. If the standard back then was “winning the second round,” how does missing the playoffs entirely fit into that standard? Where is the accountability to your “stockholders” for the Stanley Cup standard that we demand and you claim to want? I mean how many more years of missing the playoffs/not coming close to the Stanley Cup will be tolerated before you get involved in the on-ice issues plaguing this team?

Because I will tell you with confidence that in 30 plus years as an Islanders fan the only reason I’ve attended a game was to see the team on the ice play. Everything else about the arena experience was just background noise. When the Islanders were winning the Coliseum was packed – Despite having the worst bathroom situation of any arena on the planet. Would all of us have loved better bathrooms? Of course, but every single one of us would have put up with them had we won a fifth Stanley Cup.

No matter what your business is, the product is always the most important thing. If Islander fans attend a game and the islanders lose, then the “experience” was a bad one. In sports the team is the “product,” and right now the product that is the New York Islanders is not the “world class” experience you claim to want for the fans.

That is why to say that you’re going to leave the “on-ice” part of the Islanders up to the hockey people is so painful to hear. It comes across as you’ve accepted that Garth Snow is going to be a “lifetime GM” and you’re going to worry about everything else. It’s one thing to let qualified people do their jobs – That I’m all for. However it’s another thing completely to employ unqualified people who are hurting your product and do nothing about it.

This is why you must get involved with the front office, install a qualified and “world class” President of Hockey Operations immediately. It’s literally the most important thing you can do now, as every moment where Garth Snow remains President and GM of the Islanders is another moment the Stanley Cup will remain out of reach.

My heart bleeds blue and orange and has since I was a child, but the path we’re on now has a very low ceiling that is very quickly leading to increased apathy from many fans including myself. You have a chance to make good on your warranted high-end aspirations, and so many of your “stockholders” are praying you do just that, but you need to do it now.

To achieve great things in life there’s always hardship along the way, and this is one of those moments. I’m not saying making sweeping change in the front office is easy, but it is necessary, and surely you bought this franchise understanding that one day you would have to do so. The lifelong Islander fan is truly a tortured soul, so if you do hire a President/GM that leads us to the hockey “Promised Land,” I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say that you will be Gods to many of us. That’s how much we’ve suffered and how bad we want it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Since I cannot make the change I am so confident is necessary, I hope you take it to heart and that leads to action. Because the next letter I write you I want to be thanking you for doing all the things necessary in the front office that lead the New York Islanders to win their fifth Stanley Cup. In terms of my sports life, there’s literally nothing I want more.

Sincerely,

(my name)

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017

It's covered under item (2).

The case like that does not cost more that several millions. It is comparable with what they will make in playoffs.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Yes I did. Just sent it out actually and I encourage anyone and everyone to do the same. They need to know how we feel no matter what they decide to do with that information.

Anyway if you care to read the letter, here it is:

Dear Mr. Ledecky and Mr. Malkin,

As a 43-year-old Islander fan from Roslyn, Long Island, my heart and soul joined the Islander family as a fan in the mid-80’s, meaning the Islanders have been my favorite team for over 30 years now. I’ve rarely missed a game, traveled long and far to see them play, and spent more money on the team than I care to admit. As much as I love them, to be frank it’s been a truly painful ride enduring the last three decades, but rarely do I ever quit on anything when my heart is involved.

However that loyalty is seriously being put to the test now as I watch my favorite team sink into a world of ineptitude with each passing season. I care too much about the Islanders to not let you know exactly how I, and so many other fans, feel about the current direction of the franchise. So with great respect I am hoping you will hear and appreciate the rather harsh honesty I think that needs to be put on the table in order to identify and improve fortunes for the organization going forward.

We are now at the completion of Garth Snow’s twelfth year as General Manager of the New York Islanders and this will be the eighth time we have missed the playoffs. How is this tolerable for any owners anywhere – Much less ones that want to win a “fifth Stanley Cup?” In what position in any field would any employee still have a job if their results did not improve in over a decade on the job? No organization where the owners truly want to run a “world class” franchise could this be tolerated.

That is why if your goal is truly to be the owners who bring a fifth Stanley Cup to the New York Islanders, then Garth Snow must be fired as President and General Manager effective immediately. This doesn’t mean reassigned or minimized, but totally removed from the Islander organization entirely and replaced with a qualified/elite team President who will be allowed to hire whatever GM he deems appropriate.

I’d be happy to sit down and break down every single draft pick, trade, and free agent signing Snow has performed since July 18, 2006 that justifies his firing, but the only thing that should matter is this – Wins and losses. And in that vein, after 12 years of proven ineptitude, the reality is that we will not win another Stanley Cup with Garth Snow running the Islanders, and the longer he is allowed to remain in his position the longer it will be before a qualified replacement could get us there.
I am a big believer in human psychology and study human behavior. In watching Garth Snow operate over the past decade plus, it is apparent that he continues to massage his place within the Islander franchise where he positions himself as the smartest/most powerful guy in the room. Somehow he got Charles Wang to buy into this and I’m hoping that is not the case with you.

Essentially Garth Snow is looking to surround himself with “yes men” who won’t question his authority. In this regard he is putting his ego before the team, and when your focus is based on hiring the most subservient employees, you are not hiring the most qualified ones. And as a result the Islanders have now wound up missing the playoffs again – Making it eight of his twelve years on the job.

Now I understand that it’s easy for me to sit behind a keyboard and call for Snow’s firing. I also understand that there’s plenty of information that I don’t have access to being a fan and not an owner. But again the information we as fans do have is the Islanders win/loss record under his tenure which is not tolerable to us as paying customers, so why is it tolerable to you? Do you think that someone who hasn’t gotten the job done for 12 years is all of a sudden going to figure it out in year 13? At what point does missing the playoffs wear on you the way it does all of us who you are asking to spend money on the team? Because all the wonderful quotes you have made to the press about the islanders, “winning that fifth Stanley Cup,” sound great, but they’re just hollow words if they’re not followed up with actions that make that a reality.

If we never heard another quote from you and the Islanders did win that fifth Cup, you would be heroes to all of us, as opposed to making all these grand claims and never delivering on them. Season after season of first-round playoff losses, much less missing the playoffs entirely, is not going to all of a sudden magically lead to a Stanley Cup Final without serious, decisive, and meaningful change – Change that has to come from you. Words alone will not get us there.

Therefore every moment that Garth Snow remains as President/GM of the Islanders what you are really saying to the fans is that you are ok with the unbelievable disappointing results of the past 12 years, and for all of us to expect more of the same heartbreak going forward.

The fans are also very aware of the reported extension that Charles Wang gave Snow prior to turning control of the Islanders over to you. We understand that it’s possible you do want to get rid of Snow, but are hampered by his contract in that it could be a very lengthy/lucrative deal for Snow that would cost tons of money to buy out, and/or have other legal ramifications in doing so.

However if you truly want to lead the Islanders to another Stanley Cup, your significant financial resources must be used to solve any problem, and this is the biggest one. Whether the team needs a new training center, a more comprehensive scouting staff, or spend to the salary cap to build a winner, buying out Garth Snow at any cost is an issue that needs addressing and therefore must be done whatever time, energy, and financial resources it costs to do so.

If you can make the Belmont Arena Project happen, then there are no obstacles that cannot be overcome in removing Snow. The only question is – Why haven’t you yet?

And Snow must be fired whether or not John Tavares returns to the team or not. With Tavares we’re still missing the playoffs as a result of Snow’s ineptitude, so hardly a saving grace if he were to resign just to repeat similar seasons going forward. And I shudder to think what it will be like in Islanderland if Tavares does leave as a result of Snow not building a contender all these years, and then you retain Snow as President/GM. You will lose the faith of the fans at an even greater rate than missing the playoffs alone will do.

Mr. Ledecky, you’ve been quoted as saying the following:

“We were talking about stockholders (fans) earlier. What’s the standard? We won the first round. We went to the second round. The standard this year has to be, you won the second round and went to the third round. And eventually you have to hoist the Stanley Cup, because that’s what the fans demand. They demand that excellence, on the ice and off the ice.

“The off-the-ice, I can handle, by giving them a great experience. The on-the-ice, that group has to manage that. They have got the insight. They’ve got the experience to decide who plays goalie, who plays on Johnny’s line and stuff like that, not me. That’s a recipe for disaster.

“Each one of you could talk about an owner who came in and completely rearranged the furniture and is paying for it in years and years of poor performance.”
That quote was from July of 2016 and since then the Islanders, at least on-ice, have clearly gone backwards. If the standard back then was “winning the second round,” how does missing the playoffs entirely fit into that standard? Where is the accountability to your “stockholders” for the Stanley Cup standard that we demand and you claim to want? I mean how many more years of missing the playoffs/not coming close to the Stanley Cup will be tolerated before you get involved in the on-ice issues plaguing this team?

Because I will tell you with confidence that in 30 plus years as an Islanders fan the only reason I’ve attended a game was to see the team on the ice play. Everything else about the arena experience was just background noise. When the Islanders were winning the Coliseum was packed – Despite having the worst bathroom situation of any arena on the planet. Would all of us have loved better bathrooms? Of course, but every single one of us would have put up with them had we won a fifth Stanley Cup.

No matter what your business is, the product is always the most important thing. If Islander fans attend a game and the islanders lose, then the “experience” was a bad one. In sports the team is the “product,” and right now the product that is the New York Islanders is not the “world class” experience you claim to want for the fans.

That is why to say that you’re going to leave the “on-ice” part of the Islanders up to the hockey people is so painful to hear. It comes across as you’ve accepted that Garth Snow is going to be a “lifetime GM” and you’re going to worry about everything else. It’s one thing to let qualified people do their jobs – That I’m all for. However it’s another thing completely to employ unqualified people who are hurting your product and do nothing about it.

This is why you must get involved with the front office, install a qualified and “world class” President of Hockey Operations immediately. It’s literally the most important thing you can do now, as every moment where Garth Snow remains President and GM of the Islanders is another moment the Stanley Cup will remain out of reach.

My heart bleeds blue and orange and has since I was a child, but the path we’re on now has a very low ceiling that is very quickly leading to increased apathy from many fans including myself. You have a chance to make good on your warranted high-end aspirations, and so many of your “stockholders” are praying you do just that, but you need to do it now.

To achieve great things in life there’s always hardship along the way, and this is one of those moments. I’m not saying making sweeping change in the front office is easy, but it is necessary, and surely you bought this franchise understanding that one day you would have to do so. The lifelong Islander fan is truly a tortured soul, so if you do hire a President/GM that leads us to the hockey “Promised Land,” I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say that you will be Gods to many of us. That’s how much we’ve suffered and how bad we want it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Since I cannot make the change I am so confident is necessary, I hope you take it to heart and that leads to action. Because the next letter I write you I want to be thanking you for doing all the things necessary in the front office that lead the New York Islanders to win their fifth Stanley Cup. In terms of my sports life, there’s literally nothing I want more.

Sincerely,

(my name)

Fantastic job and right on every count. Bravo!

Reactions: periferal

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

If there is one thing everyone around here should know by now, it's that there is no such thing as an iron clad contract. There are ways out of everything, even a ridiculous golden parachute clause to the monkey playing GM. If you can't renegotiate his deal amicably..... you don't fire him, let him be GM in name only and make his life a living hell.

"Hey Garth, your new duties as GM include cleaning the grease traps in the concession stands, sweeping the concourse and maintaining the mens room...... on game nights, so the fans can see you and interact"

"Oh, and also we will be charging fans $2 to take pictures with you and your piss mop"

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Incredible letter. I just hope it does not get missed due to some report on Belmont developments affecting the bottom line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad